Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Boro on a Concentrator Tut is listed!!!

pipyr
2008-08-09, 5:41pm
I'm really happy with this one! I show how to a bead and 4 sculptures on a minor with one oxygen concentrator out of boro! All the pictures are filtered so that you can see exactly what I'm doing while I'm in the flame.

This tut is 69 pages long and is 4.2 mb. It has an unknown number of pictures because I didn't feel like counting them! lol. Let's just say that there are a LOT of pictures.

I hope this helps everyone who has been wanting to try boro but has felt limited by their set-up!!

Available through my website from this link!!!! (http://www.pipyr.com/borocontut.html)

Or get it through etsy at this link! (http://www.pipyr.etsy.com)

http://www.pipyr.com/boroonaconcentrator.jpg

http://www.pipyr.com/groupboc.jpg

Thanks for looking!

squid
2008-08-09, 5:45pm
Were you working on a 5 lpm concentrator?

squid
2008-08-09, 5:45pm
Aha cool - I just read your description on Etsy and I see you were. I may have to buy this!!!

pipyr
2008-08-09, 5:48pm
Yep...and it's a pretty old 5lpm oxy con at that! :lol:

squid
2008-08-09, 5:51pm
I think you're sold out in your etsy shop :).

playswithfire104
2008-08-09, 5:53pm
I just got one from her website

simvet02
2008-08-09, 6:19pm
I have already read through most of it. Wonderful Tutorial Pipyr. I may just get up the nerve to try this tomorrow.

WTG!!!

pipyr
2008-08-09, 6:39pm
LOL Jan! You must be a fast reader!! I should note that although the color list is laid out the same as the Creature tut, there are different colors and descriptions in this one, so don't skip that part! ;)

Aurore
2008-08-09, 6:52pm
Very nicely put together !! As I expected it would be .. now to put together my list of Boro to purchase !
Thanks so much !! =D>

playswithfire104
2008-08-09, 6:57pm
Mine is still printing out, but I see my little tree on the front cover!!!! Well not 'my' little tree. But the little tree I asked for. Guess what I'll be making tomorrow!

Pipyr thank you soooooooooooooo much! Your creatures tut got me to bring out the boro again and reminded me why I loved boro so much!

Now to get my Cheetah up and running and the world will be perfect.

pipyr
2008-08-09, 7:17pm
I'm so glad you guys like it!

Nancy, I can't tell you how happy it makes me to hear that. That's what it's all about for me :love:

lripster
2008-08-09, 9:17pm
Love this one, too, Pipyr! Love the tips on striking encased color, too!!

pipyr
2008-08-09, 9:30pm
You laughed at me making a bead, didn't you Lisa???? Didn't you? :spank:

lripster
2008-08-09, 9:44pm
Not at all. I did laugh at your statement about loving beads, as long as someone else is making them, though. :lol: (I feel the same way!!)

But now I just might have to try some! 8-[

squid
2008-08-09, 10:02pm
I was wondering about annealing - there is no mention of it in the tutorial, but I didn't notice that you flame struck any of the non bead thingies, so are you getting the color on those during the annealing cycle, or do they strike as they are worked?

pipyr
2008-08-09, 11:06pm
Those colors all developed as I was working them. Just the heating and cooling of sculpting will strike the glass for you :D I do flame-strike the dragon's wings a bit and I also flame-strike his tail spike in the tutorial. If your kiln is right on in temperature, the only color you should get from a regular 1050 annealing cycle is red (like, if you are using a garnet or pomegranate). The rest of the colors develop at higher temps than that :)

Kym
2008-08-09, 11:52pm
This will be great Pipyr! Thanks for putting this together as this is just what I need so I can use the sampler of boro I bought. I have made one small inconsequential boro bead this month and I need the help to know something about what I am doing. Looking fwd to it immensely!

Cheers
Kym

pipyr
2008-08-09, 11:53pm
It's on it's way, Kym!! :D And now I'm going to bed :lol:

Troll Lover
2008-08-10, 12:29am
I git it Pipyr (through your website), can't wait untill I can play with it! I'm starting to become a big boro ho!

lripster
2008-08-10, 6:36am
I LOVE the screwballs, Pipyr.

If I wanted to make larger pieces, like Christmas tree ornaments, how much of what size rod should I cover with color to get started? I think those could make some awesome ornaments and would go over well at Bearden's this holiday season. (The holiday shopping crowd likes things that are pretty, and my "pretty" repertoire is somewhat limited!) LOL!!!

ammaws
2008-08-10, 7:00am
I haven't buought a tut before, but just bought this. Can someone tell me if this comes on the e-mail? I used my husbands paypal so if it does I have to make sure he doesn't delete it?.

pipyr
2008-08-10, 7:01am
:lol: Lisa!!! It really depends on the size you want...they get long pretty quickly with those tails. You might bump it up to a 12mm clear and cover about 1.5" or so and see how that size is for you :) They are really fun to make!! Go make some and take pics to show me, ok??

I'm about to head out to spend a few days with my mom (yay) and Rhonda is going to be sending out orders from my e-mail addy while I'm gone. She loves seeing them come in and has been checking obsessively, so you should still be getting them very quickly still :D I can't wait to see what everyone's made when I get back!! :poke:

lripster
2008-08-10, 7:10am
Thanks Pipyr. That explains your being awake so early.:poke:

Have a great time!!

Troll Lover
2008-08-10, 7:14am
I got it and it's awesome Pipyr! Now I'm gonna play some more!

ammaws
2008-08-10, 7:19am
Got it--just bought some of the new GA glass and can't wait to give them a try. Went to play yesterday and was out of tanked O2, so this will be wonderful..Thanks Pipyr.

Wiley
2008-08-10, 8:48am
Damn it! You're taking all my money! :lol: I don't even have a concentrator...I use tanked oxy but I can't pass up one of your tutorials.

Thanks!!

lldesigns
2008-08-10, 9:24am
Awesome tut! As someone who's only worked soft glass it amazes me how boro can be left to cool completely without shattering!!! I think that will be the most difficult part of this for me - not freaking out about trying to keep everything warm...

Can't wait to get started! Thank you sooooo much Pipyr! :love:

One question - is it safe once it's done and already cool to pop it into the hot kiln for annealing or does it need to go into a cool kiln and ramp up slowly? You can tell I'm a complete boro virgin. :oops:

pipyr
2008-08-10, 9:29am
I leave them all out and make a little "collection" and then pop them in a cold kiln and ramp up to 1050 over an hour or so. :)

Have fun with it guys!

Robin - You will still get lots out of this tut. I made everything in a minor w/oxy con and gave a lot of info about working with low amounts of heat, but everything still applies to working with a tank. :D

LeahBeads
2008-08-10, 10:42am
Just bought it! Can't wait to receive it!!!

Leah

Wiley
2008-08-10, 11:55am
Pipyr...this tut is great! Just like the creature one!! Love it!

I will definitely get lots out of it...I have not done much off mandrel work. Love boro but tend to work it like soft...on a mandrel.

I'm on a minor and tanked oxy.

Troll Lover
2008-08-10, 1:33pm
I'm really starting to learn how to work off mandrel now with your tuts Pipyr. I made 3 little snakes today and got some nice color (not as good as yours, though...). Used purple thunder, blue reflection and some other. Gotta try more tomorrow!

playswithfire104
2008-08-11, 8:50am
Here are some little trees I made yesterday. Not only do I LOVE them I love making them! Thanks Pipyr!!!! And Rhonda!!

So what do you all think?

lripster
2008-08-11, 9:26am
Great job, Nancy. I love the way you added to the base!!! Very fun.

playswithfire104
2008-08-11, 9:29am
Well that was sort of an 'happy accident'. The base cracked big time one and I knew I couldn't get it back looking like it was so I just went with it - kinda making it look like it is on a cliff or something that is falling apart. I think it worked.

ETA The other thing that is kinda fun is I have LOTS and LOTS of boro not marked with what color it is. From Mr. Smilie's shorts to rods that were gifted to me. Some have numbers but they mean nothing to me. So I don't always know what is gonna happen color wise from a lot of them. It is fun playing though!

Paul Ewing
2008-08-11, 9:43am
Nancy, if you go to http://www.northstarglass.com you can look up the number under "Working Our Color" and find out some information on how the color will look and the best flame settings to use.

playswithfire104
2008-08-11, 9:46am
Thanks Paul. I have rods marked Momkas Experimental I assume they differ from time to time. Because some look completely different from each other.

lripster
2008-08-11, 9:46am
Hi Paul!:wave:

Kym
2008-08-11, 12:31pm
Nancy, they are really nice! I just realised how good one I make will look in an aquarium, what a great little gift for fish friends!

Tomorrow is my day off so I will be using that tute nonstop!

Kym

pipyr
2008-08-11, 2:04pm
Nancy - Rhonda here! Those trees are great! Did our thoughts work on the base?

I will be away from the computer for a couple hours got to go to a meeting but will get back on asap to send tuts and answer emails.
:) Hugs Rhonda

simvet02
2008-08-11, 2:30pm
LOL Jan! You must be a fast reader!! I should note that although the color list is laid out the same as the Creature tut, there are different colors and descriptions in this one, so don't skip that part! ;)
I promise I won't skip anything Pipyr, but for the first try I'm going to use what I have. All of the colors you talked about sound so yummy, it will be hard to decide what to get.

bellavistaglass
2008-08-11, 3:21pm
OOOOH, I just ordered one and am So excited thanks!:biggrin:
Pat

playswithfire104
2008-08-11, 4:29pm
Thanks Rhonda. Yup it worked.

kittyluv4ever
2008-08-11, 5:45pm
Hey Pipyr, I ordered mine as well. I am assuming that it will work for a Phantom and 4 oxycon's as well as just for one? Right now I am just running the center fire on two 5 lpm machines, still have to get some kind of heat protection to run the outer fire. Not to get off subject but what is that stuff called that people mount on the wall that their torch faces to protect the wall from getting burnt?
Thanks and can't wait till it gets here.
Donna

pipyr
2008-08-11, 8:12pm
Okay - Rhonda here! I am home and just sent out all the tut orders we had and answered emails. If anyone hasn't gotten their tut please email me at Pipyr@pipyr.com. Thanks guys! you are the best. I have had so much fun with this I guess I will have to post more and stop being just a lurker!:)

pipyr
2008-08-12, 4:23pm
okay, I am having trouble with our email account apparently there is a problem with the server so if you have ordered or are going to give me a couple minutes to contact the webmaster so he can fix it.
Thanks Rhonda :(

pipyr
2008-08-12, 4:58pm
Yeah!!! Email is fixed. Send those orders my way!!

:) Rhonda

pipyr
2008-08-14, 3:02pm
Hi all!! I'm baaa-aaaaack! :D I just got home and Nancy, those trees rock!!!!!! Love them!!

Donna - I'm not sure about the stuff to mount on the wall...I know what you are talking about, but I can't think what it's called either. I just keep my torch several feet away from the wall :lol:

Sarabella
2008-08-20, 5:12am
Another wonderful tutorial Pipyr! I will post a pix when my little glassy friends come out of the kiln. The screwball was particularly fun to do.

Thanks!
Sals

pipyr
2009-03-12, 2:13pm
Okie dokey guys...I've had qite a few more orders for these and I want to see some pictures!!!

At the moment, I am doing all of my work on a lynx with two 5 lpm oxy cons. Yes, that is more heat than the torch/oxy con set up in the tutorial, but the principles are still the same and the same info applies, as I am working with some good sized hunks of glass in this set-up with less heat than I would have using tanked oxy. :)

So...show me some pics!!!! Oh, and if you've seen the new trees I listed in my etsy, it's all the same techniques, just a little more control to get the branches interwoven. Between the tree section of the tut and the screwball section, you have all the info you need ;)