Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Another Peacock Feather Toot (w/Iris Gold)

J. Savina
2005-12-19, 11:48am
Hi Everyone,
I really appreciate all the tutorials that people share here. I especially loved the different peacock feather toots. I just wanted to share one too. I'm sure many of you have been playing with the reactive iris gold glass. Don't you just love the reaction with light brown encased? Well, here's another variation of these different glass colors raked into peacock feathers.

First make a stringer with moretti light brown #018
Next, make a bead in moretti light brown.
Roll the bead in light iris gold frit #0 (Got mine from Val)
Melt in.
Then make random dots around the bead with the stringer on top and bottom close to the mandrel. I used 6 on each side (Don't worry, it will spread toward the middle.)
Melt in.
Reapply stringer dots over the melted in dots.
Melt in.
Now let the bead cool slightly, then re-introduce it to the back of your flame, just to heat the surface. When the surface is soft again, you can rake.
Re-heat the bead to reshape, cool slightly, then encase with clear. I used Lauscha on this bead.
Anneal the heck out of it!

If you try this, please share your pics.
Have fun!!! \\:D/
J.

*MAR*
2005-12-19, 12:04pm
That is gorgeous! I'm definitely going to try that once I get that frit! Thanks for sharing!

alissa
2005-12-19, 7:39pm
Cool! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting!

barbbbeads
2006-01-11, 8:53pm
Your bead is beautiful. I couldn't wait to get home tonight to try it. I have one small rod of the light brown left and some light iris gold, but is chunkier. I love the iris gold, but have only used it to make stringer for raised gold decorations. I never would have thought of this combination. My bead doesn't look anything like yours but I love the colors that came out. I had a hard time seeing, even with my glasses, where I put down the initial light brown dots, in order to put on the second layer. But it still looks like it came out very pretty. It's in the kiln right now, so if I can get a decent picture, I'll post it. Thanks so much to you and everyone else for posting all these wonderful tutorials!

tmatma
2006-01-11, 11:20pm
I was searching for frit reactions and found that iris gold is supposed to react with light brown and straw yellow (or something like that?)...only those 2 colors, or has anyone else found more?...That reaction is beautiful and thank you for posting the tut J.!

hummingbird3172
2006-01-12, 6:35am
WOW! That bead is gorgeous!!!! It is so subtle! I can't wait to try that out! I think that has to be the prettiest peacock bead I have ever seen!

Lara
2006-01-12, 9:19pm
way cool. I agree, great peacock, much better than what I tried (icky poo).

jaci
2011-12-17, 9:10am
bump because this is beautiful, and so stylish right now!

Cinnamon
2011-12-17, 9:14am
Wow! Exactly like peacock feathers. I'll have to save this and give it a try when I have a chance.

Thank you for sharing!
Neomi

28676bhe
2011-12-18, 11:18am
What am I doing wrong? The light brown makes baby poop colors when it comes out of the anneal stage (975)? Mine are U G L Y!

Help?

Barbara

jaci
2011-12-18, 5:11pm
975 is high. try something lower by 20-50 degrees. Compensate with a slightly longer soak time.

28676bhe
2012-01-04, 11:47pm
Thanks, Jaci for your help..........I was also using too much propane. Gave the flame more oxygen, and lowered the anneal - good looking bead!

Still cannot make it look like the picture, but the colors are wonderful!

Barbara

Dragonfly Queen
2012-01-07, 4:37pm
Beautiful bead. Thank you so much for sharing.

J. Savina
2012-02-15, 4:30am
OMG! I completely forgot I posted this tutorial. That was over 6 years ago. How time flies. I have only made a few more beads like this that sold many moons ago. I think I'll have to try this again as I still have a stash of Iris Gold frit. Thanks for bringing this to the surface again.

J.

Beadanna
2012-02-15, 4:54am
It is beautiful Jeanette.

EileenGlass
2012-02-15, 3:52pm
So glad I came across this. I can't wait to try it.

simvet02
2012-02-20, 1:16pm
Gee, I'm glad it got bumped too, I would never have seen it. Now I have something to do with my Iris Gold...LOL

Dragonfly Queen
2012-03-20, 2:52pm
Jeanette, thank you for your generous share. This is beautiful.

J. Savina
2012-03-21, 9:18am
Jeanette, thank you for your generous share. This is beautiful.

You are very welcome! I hope I get to see some pictures of beads made with this little tut.

J.

beadtress38
2013-11-18, 3:33pm
What a beautiful bead. I will have to give this a try. Thanks.