Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Rubberband Issues???

Reenie
2008-08-26, 3:25am
I've always bought my rubberbands from Staples. No big deal, no large brand just regular "Staples' brand. Recently I used a company that offered boxes of them for a great price. When I get my glass in I cut it, wash it, dry it, weigh it and bundle it.
I've got hundreds and hundreds of glass that are bundled into 1/4 lb increments. I pull them out of the bin and the rubberbands just disinegrate. I mean totally fall apart.
Some glass I have so much of that they are bound in 10 lb bundles and I'm so afraid to pick them up without them all coming loose and falling to the ground.
Has anyone had problems with their rubberbands doing that and where did they buy them?
I got mine from a major shipping supply store called, "Uline"
They are stored inside, no major heat or sun touches them.
I have no idea why this is happening.

beadsoncypress
2008-08-26, 3:28am
it's a chemical reaction,,,,not the rubber bands.....Susan

beadbroad
2008-08-26, 3:29am
I hate rubber bands on glass. Over time they either disintegrate or worse, become gummy (with a nod to all the Pittsburgh folks who call them gum bands!). Sounds like the brand you found just has a shorter life span or are drying out for some reason. For years I've been using elastics meant for hair instead. Some kinds lose their stretch eventually, and they won't be large enough for your big bundles, but they generally hold up pretty well. I got to go through massive quantities of some old german glass once, and it was tied with string or twine.

swamper
2008-08-26, 5:27am
I find when I reuse the rubber bands that the newspaper boy uses, they fall apart or turn gummy pretty fast. I'm sure there is a shelf life on these thing but how you'd find it, I don't have a clue.

nagibeads
2008-08-26, 5:50am
my rubber bands disintegrate too so I switched to plastic bands and they work great.
they don't disintegrate but they don't have as much memory as rubber so once it stays stretched out, it won't go back to the size it was. It will still be elastic though. I am happy with them and they don't stick to the glass like disintegrated rubber can...

MaryBeth
2008-08-26, 6:48am
The same thing happens to me. I was saving them to reuse them and they just fall apart. I thought it was due to the dry climate here but apparently not!

DPete1104
2008-08-26, 6:56am
you can get rolls of "twist-ties"...the plastic-covered wire that they use to secure bags of bread etc. They don't deteriorate and as you take glass from that bundle you can just tighten the wire a bit.

And for those big 10lb bundles, wrap the bundle with a strip of paper (use brown paper grocery sacks or something similar) and then use duct tape to secure it. The paper keeps it from gumming up the glass and duct tape is strong enough to hold securely.

Another thing that works REALLY well is that self-adhering plastic wrap...you can get it from Staples I'm sure...it's 4" wide. I've gotten a lot of glass where the shipper used it to wrap the bubble paper...and it's SO much easier to get open than tape is...I reuse all my packaging materiel...and it's strong enough to be safe to use on those 10lb bundles. I save it by rolling it around an empty paper towel tube....it very reuseable

menty666
2008-08-26, 7:30am
yah, when I get glass from generations or abr it's plastic wrapped together. Works great.

Kaye
2008-08-26, 8:09am
rubberbands and glass do not get along, they rot...I HATE rubberbands. I just bought a package of fifty hair things...thin style...dollar store would probably even be better price...SuzyQ gave me the idea, they won't rot and unbundle your glass.I've always bought my rubberbands from Staples. No big deal, no large brand just regular "Staples' brand. Recently I used a company that offered boxes of them for a great price. When I get my glass in I cut it, wash it, dry it, weigh it and bundle it.
I've got hundreds and hundreds of glass that are bundled into 1/4 lb increments. I pull them out of the bin and the rubberbands just disinegrate. I mean totally fall apart.
Some glass I have so much of that they are bound in 10 lb bundles and I'm so afraid to pick them up without them all coming loose and falling to the ground.
Has anyone had problems with their rubberbands doing that and where did they buy them?
I got mine from a major shipping supply store called, "Uline"
They are stored inside, no major heat or sun touches them.
I have no idea why this is happening.

Kaye
2008-08-26, 8:10am
I also bought a roller of the plastic stuff like suppliers use to bundle your glass...I use that to.

I don't think it matters where you live or the weather...rubber bands just do not do it with glass rods.

coyotesfamily
2008-08-26, 8:34am
blue glass tape works too, doesn't leave a sticky residue. but yep hate those rubber bands! I am still picking chunks off of some glass

tammydownunder
2008-08-27, 4:05pm
I think it's a world wide issue. The rubber bands disintegrate and turns into glue on the glass. And, when you try to burn it off, it gives off a really noxious smell.

Reenie
2008-08-27, 5:44pm
Well I'm not happy that my customers are getting crappy rubberbands, I am glad to know that it's not only mine that are doing this. I raised heck with the shipping company I deal with because I've never encountered it before. I've been doing this for over a year now never had problems this fast!!!!
I found glass stuck to the bottom of the bins and I couldn't believe it.
So I guess the rubberbands weren't cheapies but this is the normal thing that they do.
Thanks for the heads up on the "Chemical" issue.

Jane P
2008-08-27, 7:03pm
I use the "hair" bands too - but they disintegrate quite quickly as well. I have tried thin ones and thick ones. I think I may just go with twine.

DPete1104
2008-08-28, 1:46am
To tell you the truth, I'm really not that fond of using anything I have to wrap around glass like a rubber band or hair band...mainly because I keep getting too close to the cut ends of the glass and getting nasty cuts. Wrapping it with that clingy plastic keeps me from getting blood all over my glass bundles *grin*

Cherine Perrin
2008-08-28, 4:33am
Yep, rubber bands and glass suck! I just transfered all my glass new storage and was left with crumbly sticky rubber band mess all over my glass. YUCK!
Maybe you can use the shrink wrap stuff that ABR uses. It'll keep you glass cleaner too!

Lisa
2008-08-28, 2:05pm
I use the "hair" bands too - but they disintegrate quite quickly as well. I have tried thin ones and thick ones. I think I may just go with twine.

I've been using the little girl hairbands from Wal-Mart - the "coated" kind that has some kind of thread or something wrapped around the stretchy part -- so far they're doing their job - which for me is to keep different colors separate when all lying next to each other on a shelf - like sardines in a can!

Alison D
2008-08-28, 4:20pm
Here is a link for the mini wrap. Maybe you could slide the bundles out just enough to rewrwp the end and then rewrap the other ends. Order just one of anything new you try so that you won't be stuck with alot of product that won't work for you.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good luck,
Alison

Fireborne Beads
2008-08-28, 4:44pm
Propane fumes (like from bleeding your lines) is what causes your rubber bands to disintegrate.

Reenie
2008-08-28, 8:26pm
my rods are in a different room then torching and I don't use propane or bleed any of the lines so....I think maybe it's just the lifespan of the rubberbands...maybe

mad hatter
2008-08-28, 8:49pm
Well being extremely latex allergic I really hate them. I have to wear gloves and take them off outside. I get pulmonary edema as a reaction so I take no chances.

DPete1104
2008-08-29, 12:41am
it's not just propane fumes...even tho they certainly don't help matters. The plain truth is that the materiel used to make rubberbands, be they real rubber or synthetic, degrades over time and make a mess.

And the stuff Alison posted the link for is what I am talking about. I don't completely wrap the bundle, just a wrap around the middle is enough to secure the bundle and you can pull single rods out as you need them...and you can unwrap and re-wrap it to either tighten the bundle or to add more rods. A wonderful, and cost effective way to organize glass!

Kevan
2008-08-29, 12:42am
Rubber is organic. It falls apart.

Mr. Smiley
2008-08-29, 3:05am
Here is a link for the mini wrap. Maybe you could slide the bundles out just enough to rewrwp the end and then rewrap the other ends. Order just one of anything new you try so that you won't be stuck with alot of product that won't work for you.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good luck,
Alison

Here's your solution... it doesn't get sticky and the bundles will lay flatter too... no rubber band bulge. ;)

Julabula
2008-08-29, 1:48pm
rubberbands and glass do not get along, they rot...I HATE rubberbands. I just bought a package of fifty hair things...thin style...dollar store would probably even be better price...SuzyQ gave me the idea, they won't rot and unbundle your glass.

Yep, that's pretty much what I use, cloth pony tail holders from the Dollar Store. About a penny each. :)

Lara
2008-08-31, 1:04pm
I like the pony tail holder idea. I too have a gummy mess with some of my rubber bands, mostly the larger ones.

bjcohan
2008-08-31, 2:12pm
I hate rubber bands. I used to store my glass with rubber bands and they deteriorated and stuck to the glass so I had to soak the rods in soapy water and scrape them clean with a plastic scrubbie. No more rubberbands for me. As soon as my glass is delivered I get rid of them all. (Anybody want some?)

For transporting glass (and for long term storage) the mini wrap is terrific. It holds the rods so tightly together that they are less likely to break. (I bring a roll with me when I go to the Gathering.) But it's a PITA getting a single rod out.

For day-to-day storage of glass I am going to USE, I never band them together. I found comparatively inexpensive plastic tubes that come in all lengths and sizes at J.C. Danczak (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.) and they work like a charm for separating colors. I especially love them for stringers. I have used their tubes both horizontally and vertically. I buy all different sizes - smaller ones for stringers or for colors I have very little of. The tubes also help keep the glass cleaner and less prone to scratching than storing them completely loose.

I have ordered from Danczak many times and love both their products and their customer service. They ship really FAST. Their 2" x 2" square tubes come in 24" lengths and can be cut with heavy scissors or a serrated knife. I buy the round tubes in 12" lengths. They're closed on one end.

Barb

tt4st
2008-08-31, 4:53pm
OOOOH MANNN... I bet that is a mess. Poor you having to re-bundle everything :( I know what a pain it is just to re-do the glass I get. I also use the ponytail bands. Sometimes they stretch out really fast (I think because of the heat) but they don't leave that gummy mess and you can always tighten them up.

Firebrand Beads
2008-09-02, 1:58pm
Reenie, for the larger bundles that won't fit in a pony-tail band, try the larger version they sell for tying down tarps. I have some of these, they look like a GIANT pony-tail band! A thin-ish bungie cord loop with a round ball on one end where it's tied together. You wrap around and then hook the ball through the end of the loop. They will also stretch out over a few years, but hey, cheap and replaceable. You know, if you don't have one of those stretch wrap guns laying around handy!

jhana
2008-09-04, 1:50am
For day-to-day storage of glass I am going to USE, I never band them together. I found comparatively inexpensive plastic tubes that come in all lengths and sizes at J.C. Danczak (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.) and they work like a charm for separating colors. I especially love them for stringers. I have used their tubes both horizontally and vertically. I buy all different sizes - smaller ones for stringers or for colors I have very little of. The tubes also help keep the glass cleaner and less prone to scratching than storing them completely loose.

I have ordered from Danczak many times and love both their products and their customer service. They ship really FAST. Their 2" x 2" square tubes come in 24" lengths and can be cut with heavy scissors or a serrated knife. I buy the round tubes in 12" lengths. They're closed on one end.

Barb
Thanks for the link, Barb.
The square tubes are on clearance sale right now, so I got 8 cases.
The Bullseye will fit nicely in the 24 inch tubes and I figure I can cut the
ones for the Moretti.
I have been using the fence rails and downspouts but the glass does get a
bit dusty that way.
These seem easy to label as well, and will work better for longer term storage.
I like the idea that these have lids.
Thanks again.:)

SuzyQ
2008-09-04, 4:55am
rubberbands and glass do not get along, they rot...I HATE rubberbands. I just bought a package of fifty hair things...thin style...dollar store would probably even be better price...SuzyQ gave me the idea, they won't rot and unbundle your glass.

Well they kind of do. The rubber band inside looses it's elasticity over time. But, it is still way better. It doesn't stick to your glass and you can just put a new one on. I am always on the look out for the coated hair elastics at the cvs bargain bin.

Kaye
2008-09-04, 8:39am
Well they kind of do. The rubber band inside looses it's elasticity over time. But, it is still way better. It doesn't stick to your glass and you can just put a new one on. I am always on the look out for the coated hair elastics at the cvs bargain bin.
the most important part is that it doesn't stick to the glass and break apart all the way...so your glass doesn't get all mixed up, with all the new colors and glass, having a rack that holds everything is impossible anymore. Keeping them seperated and a rod with a tag on it, is very important.

Dan gets in BIG trouble if the rod he takes from a bundle is the tagged one...thats very BAD ...so I have to remind him often.

SuzyQ
2008-09-04, 10:43am
lol, I'll be you do :D

Abacus Beads
2008-09-11, 1:15pm
Maybe this has been brought up but I'm short on time so here it goes. I found that instead of using regular rubber bands I use the cloth covered ones that girls use in there pony tails. It holds fast and comes off easy. I've had some that have held 5 lbs of glass for three years and they are still good
Liz R

Reenie
2008-09-11, 1:28pm
My problem is...is that I'm bundling what hundreds of pounds of glass. For personal use, I tag every rod. That's because I leave them around forever.
But I'm talking about a vendor...selling glass in 1/4 lb increments. Sometimes 1 lb sometimes 1/2 lb of each color are bought but when the glass comes in....were talking about first cutting hundreds of pounds, then washing all of the glass and hand drying it all with a beach towel. (Actually several beach towels ) and then weighing the glass, and then bundling them in 1/4 lb increments so it's easier to just pull a bundle for an order as they come in rather then weigh it only if ordered. I don't have a store so all the colors share bins with each other. With the rubberbands, I'll weigh the glass and then pop a band on and wrap it a few times.
The clear wrap...I use that when the order is complete, I wrap all the glass up in that anyways but those wrappy things aren't always nice. Sometimes the wrap gets twisted and sometimes, especially when they are new and big...they can be hard to manuever with the hands around the glass.
Rubberbands seem to be the fastest and cheapest way but there's gotta be something out there that I'm missing.
Thanks for the advice.....It be nice if they used stretchable plastic in shapes of rubberbands!!!

nicholebeth
2008-09-12, 12:12pm
I usually get my glass from Frantz, and get rubberbands. I've noticed the disintigration and gumming up on glass on old bundles, so now i just remove the bands immediately as i put my glass away. I did order some CIM glass from Frantz, and the transparent colors came wrapped in tissue, then secured by rubber bands. I thought that was great, as the rubber bands won't gum up on the glass!

PaulaD
2008-09-12, 2:27pm
I use the rubber bands and then just replace them when they start to crack.
The are easier and faster than anything else I have used..

Paula

nagibeads
2008-09-16, 2:19pm
Irene-
this is what I use. They come in 2 sizes for large and small bundles...it doesn't deteriorate and will not stick to the glass.....I've been using them for over a year and they still are in good shape....knock wood

Reenie
2008-09-16, 2:21pm
Those are cool Denise....Where do I purchase those????
Hopefully online? LOL

parisgal
2008-09-21, 6:51pm
It looks like they have them here To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I tried a quick google search and found them.

lunamoonshadow
2008-09-21, 8:05pm
I hate rubber bands on glass. Over time they either disintegrate or worse, become gummy (with a nod to all the Pittsburgh folks who call them gum bands!). Sounds like the brand you found just has a shorter life span or are drying out for some reason. For years I've been using elastics meant for hair instead. Some kinds lose their stretch eventually, and they won't be large enough for your big bundles, but they generally hold up pretty well. I got to go through massive quantities of some old german glass once, and it was tied with string or twine.
:-k I wonder what glass that might have been, you LUCKY DUCK!! ;)

Irene-
this is what I use. They come in 2 sizes for large and small bundles...it doesn't deteriorate and will not stick to the glass.....I've been using them for over a year and they still are in good shape....knock wood

I've tried those...they lasted 2-3 years...if I left them alone...then seemed to snap/fall apart when I pulled the glass out to remove a rod....](*,)
(I had 3 packages of assorted blue ones--I was so excited to have something other than rubberbands....)

nagibeads
2008-09-21, 9:06pm
I bought them at the Container store, but you can buy them online too....

Luna--thansk for the heads up! so far so good--I will keep an eye out though....better than scraping rubberbands off the rods....

lunamoonshadow
2008-09-22, 5:19am
Oh, waaay better than scraping rubber off the rods! These just drop off! ;) No sticky stuff!