Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Call for US Artists!

SFOD.Designs
2008-09-08, 5:44am
I'm looking for participants from every state for a book project about lampwork bead artists. I want artists at all levels, so it doesn't matter if you're making your beads with a Hot Head and a can of MAPP gas at your kitchen table or if you've got a set-up with natural gas piped into a separate building. :grin:

You would be required to give a telephone interview, provide a sample of your work (as well as photos of any pieces you're especially proud of), and a picture of yourself (head shot) and your studio / work area. If you're interested, please contact me no later than Friday, September 19, 2008, at sfod.designs@gmail.com. Thank you!

Lori

Crazy Woman
2008-09-09, 2:19pm
Hi, Lori ~ Can you maybe give a little more information about your project and a website link? Please and thanks!

rguttierrez
2008-09-09, 2:44pm
Please include a bit about yourself as well. Is this a personal project or a business project?

swamper
2008-09-11, 5:13am
Ahh, scepticism - I love it - now, what is this all about?

Olimpia
2008-09-11, 5:27am
I'm a newbie and even I got a funny feeling.....

Crazy Woman
2008-09-11, 5:40am
Ahh, scepticism - I love it - now, what is this all about?

I just want to know more about the project ~ that's all. If it's legit a good response should be forthcoming.

swamper
2008-09-11, 10:46am
I just want to know more about the project ~ that's all. If it's legit a good response should be forthcoming.

Leslie,

I hope you don't think I was refering to you - I was including myself in the lot - I didn't mean to offend - just meant to be tongue in cheekish.

swamper
2008-09-11, 10:51am
oops, duplicate

sleekbeads
2008-09-11, 11:33am
couldn't agree more.... of course any artist would want to know more information about a project before diving into it head-first.

I'll be watching the thread!

jo

Karen Hardy
2008-09-11, 1:18pm
Lori,
Do you have a website showing what this project is and
any information on what the final book will be (will this be
a mainstream publishing like LARK books, or something
done on a personal level).

Also, we'd like some info on who you are. This is your first
and only post, so we'd need some background on you before
we start shipping you beads and jewelry for samples.
What company do you work for /represent and how will
the samples being sent to you be handled and returned to
the artists?

Judi_B
2008-09-11, 5:11pm
I just checked and Lori hasn't been on LE since she posted this. I just sent her an email asking if she could drop in and answer a few questions. I'll be interested to hear more about the project.

SFOD.Designs
2008-09-11, 6:59pm
Hello all! I actually have been on here since I posted this, but only briefly. OK - here's the scoop.

I, along with my sister, Cindy, have contacted Lark about a book idea we have. I guess you could say this is a personal project, because it's just her & I running our little bead operation from my kitchen! lol We're pretty new to the whole lampworking thing (you can see some of our work here, please don't laugh: www.myspace.com/sfoddesigns), but I've been making jewelry for several years. The idea for this book literally just popped into my head and I ran with it.

What we're looking to do with the book is showcase only two artists per state - one that does sculptural pieces and one that does a more "basic" bead (as if!). We want it to serve two purposes - to act as a sort of directory for jewelry designers and collectors to find artisans to buy from, and also to provide some "insider" tips and tricks to anyone new to or considering lampworking as a hobby or career. This would give us a worldwide audience. We would like to have multiple volumes, but that depends on the interest level.

Our intent is to have the book published through Lark (we're awaiting their reply), but if, for some reason, that doesn't pan out, we'll try to find another publishing source. At the very least it will become an ebook to be sold anywhere and everywhere on the internet.

We weren't actually planning to return the beads submitted, but were throwing around the idea of keeping them together as a collection for a gallery - "original artwork featured in such & such book" sort of thing, or maybe auctioning them off for a charity like Habitat for Humanity with the donation in all your names. Not sure yet... Are they normally returned?

All that would be required of you as a contributor is a sample for the photograher, answer 20 or so questions about yourself and your preferences, and provide some additional photos (a head shot of yourself, a shot of your work area, shots of pieces you're especially proud of). That's it.

I don't know what other information I can give at this time, but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Lori

Anne Ricketts
2008-09-12, 9:48am
Do you know how big Texas is? :lol: You only want 2 people from each state? Wow, that is really cutting off a lot of talent! Good luck with your project!

SFOD.Designs
2008-09-12, 10:13am
We don't want to exclude anyone, which is why I said that we'd like to have multiple volumes. There are several states that have a ton of artists, and some states that we can't even find one - like Delaware (lol). If we included every lampworker in every state that wanted to be included right off the bat, the book would be absolutely gigantic! Not only that, the purpose is to showcase artists - not have them get lost in the mix.

KristiB
2008-09-12, 10:42am
Anne you are right :D

Maybe doing something like the bead reveiw would work. Spotlight 2 artists from each state, but also have smaller thumbnail photos of other artists from the state and website/contact info for all.

Imagine what a reference that would be for jewerly designers.. Wow!

SFOD.Designs
2008-09-12, 11:04am
That's actually an excellent idea - and we're certainly open to them!

Torch&Marver
2008-09-12, 12:24pm
Have you considered making it about North America as a whole? (We have jewellery designers and lampworkers up here in Canada too) ;)

SFOD.Designs
2008-09-12, 12:37pm
I hadn't actually considered that, but it's a definite possibility! Until I hear back from Lark, nothing's written in stone (or ink, as it were) and can be changed!

Heart Fire
2008-09-13, 9:00am
An interesting thread--typically publishers require several chapters, a table of contents etc. before considering a book from a new author. Jeri Warhaftig was published recently but she has been in lampwork for about 10 years.

I will be watching to see what happens. Lois

SamanthaBeads
2008-09-13, 11:41am
Lori, I for one think this is a wonderful opportunity! and even though I was one of the ones that got burned? in the last book/opportunity, I for one am over it. I think things happened with the "other book" and even though it wasnt how I would have handled it I chalk it up to shit happens and move on! Why anyone would make this book about any other experience is beyond me, but to each their own I guess, and I am certainly not telling others how to feel about anything, but for me, I just want to be happy and dont have room in my life for anything but happiness....yep wearing rose colored glasses LOL! and making the best of every situation..so shoot me!
I wish you all the best "if" or "when" this is done. It will be a HUGE under taking and I will keep my fingers crossed you get this done the way you want it to be done = )

Samantha

Feldt's Glass
2008-09-13, 12:02pm
Samantha, ??????????????????

SamanthaBeads
2008-09-13, 12:37pm
yes???

Samantha

SFOD.Designs
2008-09-14, 9:56am
Thanks Samantha!

Jeri
2008-10-04, 12:31pm
Hi Lois ! Yes, I can confirm that Lark is a serious company that makes you jump through a lot of hoops (and I mean a LOT). But I very much enjoyed working with them, and hope to do it again some day. Your idea might be of even greater interest if you expanded beyond North America, or maybe more clearly articulated the glass categories. Either way, good luck. Jeri

SFOD.Designs
2008-10-07, 3:43pm
Thanks for the input, Jeri - it's appreciated. I haven't heard anything back from Lark yet, but they did say it could take months due to the amount of submissions they receive. However, due to an incredibly limited response the project has been put on hold until further notice. If and when I hear back from Lark, I'll make another post requesting submissions. To all of you that were more than willing to participate - even in an electronic format - I thank you so much!

Karen Leonardo
2008-10-19, 1:25pm
Hi Lori,

Finally getting to see what is happening on LE. I had a book published through Krause "Creating Lampwork beads for Jewelry" but the second book (just handed in the manuscript Oct 1st) is being published by Kalmbach which publishes Bead and Button....don't give up if you believe in what you are doing. My best,

Karen
www.leonardolampwork.com

murf
2008-10-19, 3:36pm
lori
why only 11 days to respond from the original posting date? seems this book is just a notion or in the planing stages.