Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : I'm Melting......

bclogan
2005-12-24, 2:04pm
... glass that is!!! Finally! Yipee!!! \\:D/ \\:D/

Despite feeling like dog crap warmed over, hubby decided that he had procrastinated with my studio for far too long and that I needed to be melting glass by Christmas. What should have been a 1-day job to finish up with the ventilation took all week, but it's done...!!!!

The yellow thing on the floor is a welder's blanket - so a stray piece of glass won't burn a hole in the floor - assuming it lands on the blanket! And the cat had to inspect the setup before I could start working!

Here's a close-up of the ventilation. He mounted it on a track. When I want to work, I open the window and slide the hood out so the exhaust goes right outside. Then when I'm done for the day, I slide it back in, and close the window.

So I got to melt glass today!!!!! I mostly just played with my set-up and got used to the flame. I'm used to a tank of propane and tanked O2 when I work on the deck. When we set up this room, hubby pulled a line for the NG and I got an oxycon. So the flame is different. I can certainly tell when the furnace has kicked on - my flame gets a little weaker for a bit, but then bounces right back.

I pullled stringer, and made some twisties, and some silvered ivory stringer. Tomorrow I will actually make a bead!!!!!

dogmaw
2005-12-24, 2:45pm
Hooray!!!! Be sure to show us your beadies. :D

Heather/Ericaceae
2005-12-26, 10:08am
Congratulations! It looks great and that welder's blanket is a great idea for people who need to protect their flooring! Have fun and yes, we want to see the beads! What a great X-mas present. :) -Heather