Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Mandrel help

Kristen
2008-10-01, 4:43pm
I just recently got some new 3/16th mandrels from cr loo and I'm going crazy none of my beads are comming off...I'm using Bucket of Mud which i always use and have been using other mandrels with this particular batch and have had no problem...so what is it? One thing I noticed about the mandrels was after annealing them in the kiln there is a slight copper color to them , could it be a strange alloy in it thats reacting with the release....i roughed up the mandrels with sand paper before i ever used them like you should with new mandrels...and putting them in the fridge didn't help either...I sure hope someone knows because I don't want to reuin anymore beads..thanx

squid
2008-10-01, 4:50pm
have you soaked them in water?

ROC
2008-10-01, 4:51pm
Have you tried "bouncing" the mandrel on concrete? I've also found that, with stubborn beads, the longer they sit on the mandrel (like for a week) the easier they finally come off. Once in awhile with large tubes, I still have to get the vice grips out. Personally, I like Sludge Plus way better than BOM. Good luck!

Kristen
2008-10-02, 3:37am
Thanx guys...Squid I soaked and those suckers were not comming off...My Husband drilled a hole in a block of wood the size of the bead, put the mandrel through it and tapped it with a hammer and got them off....I think for some reason my mud was just too thin...which is weird because it usually thickens up on me....going to try double coating them today.

danelady
2008-10-10, 4:03pm
I started having that problem with nthe ladst batch of BOM I used. I switched to Foster Fire Smooth N Tuff and even beads where the release cracks because I was too rough on the application of glass, the beads slide RIGHT off, even with tube beads!
Hugs
LynnieThanx guys...Squid I soaked and those suckers were not comming off...My Husband drilled a hole in a block of wood the size of the bead, put the mandrel through it and tapped it with a hammer and got them off....I think for some reason my mud was just too thin...which is weird because it usually thickens up on me....going to try double coating them today.

squid
2008-10-10, 4:08pm
Thanx guys...Squid I soaked and those suckers were not comming off...My Husband drilled a hole in a block of wood the size of the bead, put the mandrel through it and tapped it with a hammer and got them off....I think for some reason my mud was just too thin...which is weird because it usually thickens up on me....going to try double coating them today.

Glad to hear it worked :)!