Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Nitrogen Dioxide Detector

lenora
2005-12-30, 1:03am
Okay, with all of this talk about ventilation and Carbon Minoxide and Nitrogen Oxides, I was wondering if a Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) detector would be a good investment? They are expensive from what I can tell (several hundred dollars), but it would answer the 'adequate ventilation' question once and for all. Or would it be a better choice to have someone come in and test your air while you were working?

I know Amy was having some kind of air quality testing done, but I'm not sure about the Nitrogen Oxide readings.

pierces*designs
2005-12-30, 5:28am
Glad you asked this! I have been scoping them out too. Most seem to be made for house boats but I figured how would it know? LOL

MikeAurelius
2005-12-30, 6:54am
Not really -- Nose Mark I is still the best and least expensive method.

Basically, if you have good ventilation, you don't need to worry about NOx.

If people comment on 'something smells', you have a problem.

If you walk out of the studio for a few minutes and when you walk back in and notice an odor, you have a problem.

I personally wouldn't spend the money.

meister1981
2005-12-30, 9:31am
I think Mike is right that first off you should always have proper ventilation before you torch anyways and it should be adequate enough to remove NOx form the room. Normally it smells like chlorine as if you were at an indoor pool almost and like he said if you go out of the room for a moment and come back you'll smell it if your ventilation isn't enough.

All in all many people torch without adequate ventilation and have not died but I'd strongly suggest proper ventilation instead of a costly NOx detector. The cost of the detector might even cost you more then having proper ventilation installed

Dale M.
2005-12-30, 9:51am
I think Mike is right that first off you should always have proper ventilation before you torch anyways and it should be adequate enough to remove NOx form the room. Normally it smells like chlorine as if you were at an indoor pool almost and like he said if you go out of the room for a moment and come back you'll smell it if your ventilation isn't enough.

All in all many people torch without adequate ventilation and have not died but I'd strongly suggest proper ventilation instead of a costly NOx detector. The cost of the detector might even cost you more then having proper ventilation installed

I fully support "meister1981's" commnets on ventilation.

Dale M.

pierces*designs
2005-12-30, 11:05am
The only thing I ever smell is my sulpher matches after I use them to light the torch.

lenora
2005-12-30, 11:42am
I don't smell anything when I'm torching. Neither can my husband, and he says he could before I got my ventilation system. I just really wanted to make sure that my system was doing the job.

lenora
2005-12-30, 11:44am
Not really -- Nose Mark I is still the best and least expensive method.

:lol: :lol: :lol: