Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Turning a shed into a workshop, Advice needed

Refined with Fire
2006-01-03, 3:03pm
Hi Everyone,

I am looking into buying a workshop/ shed.
It is 10x14.

Has anyone one ever converted a wooden shed into a lampwork studio?

I am looking for any adivce you could offer.

Thanks in advance,

Teresa Marie

Teague
2006-01-03, 3:20pm
I think Kalera did precisely that and her's looks lovely in the pictures, you should poke around this section a bit more.

Teague

talooie
2006-01-03, 5:02pm
I took a 10 X 12 shed and turned it into a studio. A friend insulated it and sheet-rocked the interior. He needed to do some alterations with the collar ties and put in some vents on the side overhangs. We had an electrician run power to it. I stained the outside and painted the interior and set up the ventilation system. I use an elicent fan that is fairly quiet-the oxygen concentrator is noisier. I love it. It is my little bit of heaven.1251512508

talooie
2006-01-03, 5:05pm
Yikes-- sorry I added the pictures twice!!

KCDesigns
2006-01-04, 12:41am
Me too. Bought it new with the intention of turning it into my little haven from the world.

I think it's 12x16 in fact I am pretty sure it is (memory escapes me) since the 10 x 14 peice of linoleum from Lowes didn't fit. LOL

My Dh and I insulated and paneled it, Dh ( the world talented Electrician he is) ran electric to it and built my exhaust system (with some advise from Kalera and Sharon Peters-- Thank you)
I of course added all the glass and mess....
Plus it's hurricane ... resistant.. Been through Jeanne, Frances and Wilma!!! Hopefully no more!!!

robinbrown
2006-01-04, 7:36am
WOW,, LOVE THEM!

I looked at a shed just that size also... Pretty cool place to escape too!

beading57
2006-01-04, 7:50am
This is a great thread. I have a shed that I am waiting to turn into my studio also. I would love to see what others have done! The more my DH sees that it CAN be done...perhaps the more willing he will be to get started on this long awaited project!;)

OSD
2006-01-04, 8:12am
I'm looking long term at getting a studio set up at home - renting torch time for now - and we have space for a shed but live where winters are COLD. Is this only a viable solution for warmer climates or can I look at a shed also? We tore down an old flimsy shed when we bought this house but I could put a new one on the same site...

Tracy

talooie
2006-01-04, 9:01am
Teresa,

I live in Massachusetts so it gets cold here. I have a small space heater that is good enough since the shed is insulated if I'm dressed warmly and the temp is above 30 degrees out. Anything lower than that and the makeup air for ventilation is too much for the space heater to warm up. Also the propane line seems to freeze since the torch starts to "spit".

Refined with Fire
2006-01-04, 9:20am
Thank you so much for all of your ideas so far!

My biggest problem is that fact that my DH is not very "handy"
don't get me wrong,
he is a very talented artist, photographer and graphic designer,
but he is very much and "indoor" guy and is no mr. fix it!

So-I would have to find people to do all the work,
and since I am clueless about such things,
I am worried about getting "ripped off"

I am going to make some calls today!

Thanks again.

T.Marie

AZ Joolz
2006-01-04, 9:27am
I don't know where you live but I have a less than mechanically inclined DH as well (plus he is gone 5 days out of 7) and I found a "handyman" through referrals (also checked Chamber of Commerce) who has been able to do all kinds of things for us at a fair price. He is booked weeks out on things...I also checked with our Ace Hardware store as they seem to have a good feel for people with those skills that we lack!

Refined with Fire
2006-01-04, 9:32am
Hi again,

(Have I mentioned that I LOVE this place!?!?!?!?!)

This is not what I was originally looking at,
but,
is this a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Office-Shed-Playhouse-Hunting-Lodge-florida-jax-l-k_W0QQitemZ6025725997QQcategoryZ20594QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ellen Black
2006-01-04, 4:27pm
Hi, Here is a company that has a very big selection.

http://www.summerwood.com/products.jsp

Also , I noticed last month that Home Depot was selling their model sheds almost half price. Ellen

Refined with Fire
2006-01-04, 6:08pm
Hi again, and again...

The shed I am looking at has a loft overhead.
That will make the space that my torch will be 6ft tall.
It will accomodate my range hood.
I was wondering if this is ok as in safe....

Thanks,
Teresa

Kalera
2006-01-04, 8:37pm
If it helps at all, here is a link to the page where I detail the remodeling of my tiny shed into a studio:

http://www.beadwife.com/?CategoryID=537

Dale M.
2006-01-04, 8:37pm
Hi again, and again...

The shed I am looking at has a loft overhead.
That will make the space that my torch will be 6ft tall.
It will accomodate my range hood.
I was wondering if this is ok as in safe....

Thanks,
Teresa

Having hood under 6 foot loft area should not be problem.. You actually want hood about 24-30 inches above work surface so under side of loft may be ideal mounting support for hood... Just be sure "loft" does not block outlet ducting for hood as you route it to outside...

Dale