Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Natural gas anyone?

Sharon Abood
2006-01-07, 9:06pm
Does anyone here use natural gas for their torch? Which torches work with natural gas and how does that compare to oxy/propane? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com

prairieson
2006-01-07, 9:32pm
Most any torch will work with NG, the catch is having pressure appropriate to the torch.

G-Tec makes some fine boosters, significant initial cash outlay but they pay for themselves nicely... no hauling around tanks, no running out at bad times (like there's a good time to run out, lol).

We've got one hooked up to our Barracuda and it does a dandy job.

I think Brent (Mr Smiley) has some info on a torch that will run on typical house pressure.

DesertDreamer
2006-01-07, 9:51pm
I use a Midrange Plus on house NG pressure. It's wonderful AND hot enough to do boro as well as all the soft glass.

bolimasa
2006-01-08, 3:38am
I use a minor with NG at residential pressue. I think most of the nortel torches work with NG. The GTT torches(except maybe the Bobcat,I'm not sure) require higher than typical residential pressure, so would need a booster or new meter/line etc.
I think natural gas is wonderful for the convenience and safety. It was spendy to have the line run to my workbench, but worth every penny!

yeepers
2006-01-08, 8:44am
I'm on a minor w/NG and did not require any boosting for it to work. Never even considered tanks :) Not one moment of regret.

-Yee

cmhorvath
2006-01-08, 10:39am
I'm using the CC Mini with residential NG pressure and an Oxycon rather than tanked O2. I love it and the whole set up has been working great for me. It cost us around $250 to have the NG line run to my workshop, but as mentioned above, it's been worth every penny.

Sharon Abood
2006-01-08, 11:48am
I was wondering if anyone uses NG with Oxycon. I'm glad to hear it works well because I need to get an Oxycon too. Where did you get it? The O2 bottles are killing my husband's back carrying them into my studio. I have been using propane so far. Is it ok to use the same lines when I switch over? I am going to call the plumber tomorrow to get an estimate.
Thanks for all the info everyone.
Sharon

DesertDreamer
2006-01-08, 1:40pm
I use an Onyx+ oxy generator from Paulette at Suncoast. From what I understand you can use 2 oxycons linked together just as well (and cheaper, too). It's wonderful having unlimited fuel basically at the touch of a button.

jknappcampbell
2006-01-08, 3:00pm
I use NG in a residence, with a natural gas booster and an oxycon. Love it. Using a Minor Burner.

judy
2006-01-08, 3:09pm
I have a bobcat and we just had NG installed last week. I also have an oxycon that I got through Mystic Medical in Michigan.

bclogan
2006-01-09, 9:14am
I'm running a Minor with NG (no booster, regular house pressure) and an oxycon. I started with a propane tank and tanked O2. The flame is a bit smaller, and I can't get a fine pinpoint flame like I used to with the tanked O2. I had a small amount of O2 left in the tank so I hooked that up to run it out before getting rid of the tank - my pinpoint flame was back. So I know it's the oxycon and not the NG. But it's not enough to make me want to go back to the tank.

Barbara

GinnyHampton
2006-01-09, 10:09am
I'm running a Minor with NG (no booster, regular house pressure) and an oxycon.

Me too!! I upgraded to this setup from a hothead, so I really don't know the difference between what I have and using tanks.

It works great for me and it's very convenient!

thawkins
2006-01-09, 10:13am
I use a bobcat and the cc mini and both work great with Natural Gas.

Heather/Ericaceae
2006-01-09, 12:53pm
I have a Piranha on 1/4psi NG and 1 5lmp/10psi oxycon. It works great! Minors works on natural gas & 1 oxycon. Mini-CCs should have 2 oxycons but work fine on NG. I believe Bobcats work better with 2 oxycons as well, but should work OK on house NG. Apparently the Little Dragon works well also. Kristian from Generations Glass said that he'd choose the Piranha for a 1 oxycon, low-pressure NG set-up, so that's what I did. Good luck! -Heather

Sharon Abood
2006-01-09, 9:10pm
Thanks everyone. I had a plumber out here today and the estimate he gave me made me gasp! I may have to sell a lot of jewelry before I can afford this new project. I told my husband I just want a new gas line to the studio not a new house with it! I have to call a couple more for estimates tomorrow.
Sharon