Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Oxygen tanks not upright?

Cosmo
2006-01-11, 10:18am
I have a friend who I'm helping set up their studio. Because of how it's laid out, they want to store their oxygen tank laying down on its side. Now, since it's just pressurized gas inside the tank, and not liquid, it shouldn't matter, should it? The main reason is it's a 282 tank, which is pretty tall. They want to store it under a shelf (won't fit standing up) and build a small wooden rack to keep it from rolling.

MikeAurelius
2006-01-11, 11:06am
Oxygen gas tanks can be kept on their sides, but they still have to be blocked in place to prevent them from rolling. Some communities will insist that they be chained as well (because the code says to be chained and doesn't make any difference between standing or laying).

My personal opinion - keep them upright - they are stinkin' HEAVY and I hate moving them suckers any more than I have to.

Dale M.
2006-01-11, 10:09pm
The shear weight of them...About 108 pounds and the fact you will have to lower most of this weight with out dropping tank and then again lift it into vertical position when empty I think to save ones back and in interest of safety it better to keep them upright...

Dale