Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Mason Stains/pottery glazes and glass???

Janine
2005-06-30, 5:16pm
My mom was a potter and has had to quit due to back problems. She is selling all of her equipment and suplies. She has a pile of Mason Stains and various glazes and chemicals (ie pure cobalt).

Can I use any of these things in lampworking?

Thank you!

Dread
2005-07-01, 5:54am
Off topic cause I dont know that much about pottery (yet) but does she have molds she is selling? I only ask as I am moving back to Canada and thought buying used molds - equipment would be a way to start for pottery - I already got an Olympic Gas Kiln coming back with me so I need to look at all the various stuff in Canada for shipping purposes and not accross the border

Janine
2005-07-01, 3:25pm
Off topic cause I dont know that much about pottery (yet) but does she have molds she is selling? I only ask as I am moving back to Canada and thought buying used molds - equipment would be a way to start for pottery - I already got an Olympic Gas Kiln coming back with me so I need to look at all the various stuff in Canada for shipping purposes and not accross the border

No, she made everything by hand, so no molds that I am aware of. I will ask though.

pam
2005-07-01, 4:04pm
Hi Janine, I know of several people who use mason stains on beads. You might like the effect, so at least give it a try. My guess is the glazes probably won't work, but who knows. The chemicals, like cobalt, you can definitely use, with proper ventilation. A lot of oxides can be used to color glass, both boro and soft glass. Again, you need really good ventilation for this.
Pam

My mom was a potter and has had to quit due to back problems. She is selling all of her equipment and suplies. She has a pile of Mason Stains and various glazes and chemicals (ie pure cobalt).

Can I use any of these things in lampworking?

Thank you!