Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Cleaning my Lynx torch?

flamesofglass
2006-01-13, 12:06pm
Is there a "best" method for cleaning my Lynx torch? Seems as though my flames goes haywire every so often and requires cleaning at the tip. My torch didn't come with any instructions or tools so I'm not sure of the neccesary process in this case.

Thanks and have a great weekend! =D>

Robert

kbinkster
2006-01-13, 3:05pm
Where did you get your torch? If you bought it new, it should have had cleaning wires and a small stainless steel brush included with an instruction sheet.

Call Wally at (610) 838-2446 to request the cleaning wires, brush, and instruction sheet.

Lenda
2006-01-14, 2:35pm
I don't clean it. If you see little glowing things when you're torching, I just take a rounded end rod of glass and gently knock them off, Loren showed me that. I've had my Lynx for 2 1/2 years and haven't had a problem yet. I didn' get the wire or the brush either and it was new in the box. Called Willy and never got it unfortunately still, so I don't clean it.

Juln
2006-01-14, 2:42pm
Be sure to use the blue valve too - sometimes people only use the green and red valves, which can cause carbon buildup. Have the blue one cracked at least a little bit.

flamesofglass
2006-01-15, 9:27am
That is the other thing. I didn't get any instructions so I'm not sure how to use the blue valve.

Be sure to use the blue valve too - sometimes people only use the green and red valves, which can cause carbon buildup. Have the blue one cracked at least a little bit.

flamesofglass
2006-01-15, 9:29am
Is there anyplace online that provides any GTT torch instructions/manuals?

Dale M.
2006-01-15, 11:43am
Here is GTT's web page...

http://www.glasstorchtech.com/torches.html

It still seem to be same as when it first went up so don't expect a lot of response there....

Dale

Lenda
2006-01-15, 12:48pm
That is the other thing. I didn't get any instructions so I'm not sure how to use the blue valve.
Turn on the red knob a little and light your torch. Open up the green knob and get a good flame. NOW, crack open your blue knob, you'll see your flame get just a tiny bit skinnier. Just leave that alone and use your other two knobs to adjust your flame. The blue knob helps keep a little extra oxy through your torch to help keep it cool. Play with it though, it's to make a pinpoint flame. Get a neutral flame in your torch, now play with opening up the blue knob, it gets skinnier and more pointy the more you open it.

I make most of my adjustments wtih the red and green knobs, just cracking the blue knob like 1/8 a turn, that's it. :)

barb
2006-01-15, 1:42pm
Oh... thank you. I knew there was something I had to do today - clean my Lynx.

I use the wires to "deep clean" the ports - I have a magnifying light that I swing over the torch head which makes find the ports so much easier - and I have the oxy on while cleaning- it takes only a couple of minutes and makes your torch so happy.

If I get a buildup while torching I turn off the torch and lightly sweep with the little wire brush while only the oxygen is running.

The center [blue] knob is used to create a smaller narrower flame and I always have mine on at least a little - it is probably my most favorite part of the Lynx.

Barb

flamesofglass
2006-01-15, 3:40pm
Is this a special wire brush or could I just use any type of brush to clean? I'll call FlameTree to see if they have any...

Oh... thank you. I knew there was something I had to do today - clean my Lynx.

I use the wires to "deep clean" the ports - I have a magnifying light that I swing over the torch head which makes find the ports so much easier - and I have the oxy on while cleaning- it takes only a couple of minutes and makes your torch so happy.

If I get a buildup while torching I turn off the torch and lightly sweep with the little wire brush while only the oxygen is running.

The center [blue] knob is used to create a smaller narrower flame and I always have mine on at least a little - it is probably my most favorite part of the Lynx.

Barb

barb
2006-01-15, 4:22pm
Ask KBinkster [Kimberly] - it came with my Lynx and looks like just a little stainless wire brush and I mean little.

Kimberly - maybe GTT can make little sets for the vendors to sell for those who need new ones. I also keep both in a seed bead tube so I don't lose mine.

Barb

artwhim
2006-01-15, 10:28pm
The little brush looks like a Dremel small wire brush attachment. Those are easily available.

Good luck.

boroburner
2006-01-16, 9:30am
willie n' wally will gladly send you out the kit(or mom). dont over use the pokie wires they send though they will scratch the inside of your tubes and they will clog more frequently. As a general rule ALWAYS open the injector(blue) knob on you torch while operating. I also have a (new) BBQ brush that i use on my mirage once a week. Ive had her for amost 2 yrs and only had to take the wires to it once. Its all about the injectors. Also if you have eratic flame with a lynx maybe ur running a lil too much pressure. Hope this helps.
B