Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Price on gas line installation

Sherri*S
2006-01-17, 5:59pm
Hi everyone. I just had a plumbing guy out to give me an estimate on installing a gas line into my new studio. Existing gas line is in the attic, and it's not too far to tee off from that pipe, across the attic floor, and down into the closet in the torch roomm... DH thinks maybe 20 feet total pipe at most. The quote was $450.... if anyone has had this done recently, does it seem like a reasonable price, or should I get more quotes?

TIA!
sherri

DesertDreamer
2006-01-17, 7:27pm
That's a deal compared to what I paid a few months ago...$950! Go for it!

StLouisBiker
2006-01-17, 8:32pm
I had the gas company do it. It cost $350. Then they let me divide it into 3 payments on my monthly gas bill. My gas line is in the basement. If yours is in the attic (is that common in Nashville?) it certainly will involve more work. Your plumber's quote seems just fine. BTW you'll need an adapter to hook up to your torch's tubing.

Sherri*S
2006-01-17, 8:58pm
Thanks Suzanne and Karen. I really had no idea what it should cost - DH thinks 450 is way high, but obviously its not.

Here in Nashville, most houses are built on slabs or crawl spaces, so, yes gas lines in the attic are pretty common, I imagine. Maybe this should go in the "what do you hate about your house" thread - I never realized how awful it is not to have a basement. We've only been here a month, but I don't think we'll ever get used to it. Just *where* are you supposed to PUT stuff? lol

lenora
2006-01-17, 10:57pm
I had a quote from a plumber and it was more than that. I don't remember, but it was at least $500.00, and it was a straight drop down the wall. Maybe I should have called the gas company. I decided to stay with propane. The city I live in has all kinds of regulations and it just wasn't worth it for me. I say go for it!!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!
Lenora

Heather/Ericaceae
2006-01-18, 11:18am
There's a thread about people's experiences in the Studio section. The prices vary wildly, depending on the area - maybe it has to do with the different regulations? $450 doesn't seem that unreasonable. It's in the middle ground. I paid $400 (CAD) and my line was already teed and had a shut-off already on it... the plumber just had to entend it 5 feet in the same room, add a final valve, check for leaks, and get a permit person to inspect it. I'd go with the quote you got. Enjoy your new studio - it will be wonderful! :) -Heather

GinnyHampton
2006-01-18, 11:46am
Hey Sherri - - I did exactly what you're doing . . . . had a gas line dropped from the attic into the closet of my torch room. I paid a plumber $350 to do it so your quote doesn't seem that unreasonable. It took him nearly a half a day, so I know it was alot of work.

My hubbie and I are building a new house and I'm having the natural gas line built into my room during the construction phase and they charged around $300 for it.

Kalera
2006-01-18, 12:37pm
I pay $55/hour for gas plumbing, plus permits and materials, so to me $450 seems really high, unless it really takes ALL day to do it.

BeadingBabe
2006-01-18, 3:03pm
I paid $300 (paid cash and got $25 off). Took 2 plumbers about an hour and a half, but my installation was very easy as it was the basement and the run from where the gas comes into the house to my table was about 15 feet.
Why not get another estimate, I sure do like having the NG, so easy and you don't have to worry about running out of fuel.
Kris

Deepwood Art
2006-01-18, 3:13pm
Hmm, so I lucked out then... $140 - tapping in through the basement into a former master bedroom on the ground floor... and it only took about 30 to 40 minutes.

The plumber who did it was the same guy who did all our plumbing when we first had the house built, so that may have something to do with it, I don't know.

Fran

bolimasa
2006-01-18, 4:00pm
Mine was nearly $500 to run flex pipe from my crawl space to my second floor workshop. I have a shut of fin the crawl space, and one on the floor under my bench. I have black iron pipe from the floor valve to a third valve just under my benchtop next to my torch.

It seemed like a lot (unless the flex line is really expensive ) for the amount of time it took (3 hours tops), but it is illegal for home owners to do there own gas lines here so I'm sure the plumbers take advantage of that fact.

Sherri*S
2006-01-18, 4:43pm
Yeah, it must vary with the area....but enough of you have paid less than this to make me think I should get another quote..... I'm just so anxious and impatient to get this done :)

Thanks all!

yeepers
2006-01-18, 4:59pm
Mine was $275 and that was done by the gas co. and included an inspection by the city. It took way longer than they thought but once I OK'd the work the quote was set so it didn't cost me any more. I think the cost depends a lot on the materials as well....the further away they are from your main line the more it costs b/c of the pipe.

-Yee

MaryBeth
2006-01-20, 12:33pm
Holy, whatever!

I live in Colorado - and nothing is cheap here but my plumber did the job for under $200.00. He did a T off of an existing line and put in a shut-off valve also. I always thought your part of the country was inexpensive - guess I lucked out on something:biggrin: