Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Effetre 254 and Mocha

mikefrantz
2009-02-02, 10:30am
I had gotten an email asking me if there had been any changes in 591254 purple (EDP). A customer was concerned that there had been changes because she liked the way the old worked. I just got an email from Effetre that told me that there were no changes in the formula or the way it is made. I was told like usual there can be tonality changes, but I do not think this is her concern.

I also asked about the Mocha. Many months ago I was sent samples of Mocha. We tested them and thought the glass devitrified like 254 and decided not to carry it. Somebody else bought it and began selling it and it may end up being a very nice color. I can obtain that color from Effetre if I want and wanted to know if you have tried it, what did you think? Like or dislike? Would you buy it again? Your answers will help me decide to get it or not get it.

I thank you for your time.

Mike Frantz

SuzyQ
2009-02-02, 11:12am
I would love a mocha that devit-ed I love the texture and it would be a wonderful sand for my seascape series I do. I'm in for pounds and pounds :)

Flonche
2009-02-02, 2:45pm
Mocha looks to me like the real chestnut brown that everybody wants. I would go for it even if it is a new incarnation of evil.

KG Richard
2009-02-02, 3:46pm
Hi Mike, I have it, and really like it. It can be tricky but it really is beautiful. Karen

Sue H-K
2009-02-02, 6:07pm
I would so go for a devit mocha! EDP is seriously my favorite color because of it's devit and tonal changes!

Ruth Nichols
2009-02-10, 11:56pm
Anything that devits like the evil one I am gonna eagerly try! I will be in your area with Kimberly on the 16th and 17th Mike. Can I get some to play with then? Maybe take a few pounds home?

cgbeads
2009-02-11, 8:25am
Hi Mike, that was me who emailed you. I use the devit to make my signature color so would hate to loose that.

I'd be interest too in another color that would devit. Mark me down.

Teresa justice
2009-02-11, 8:39am
me too ,I would love to try it out, I agree with Kimberly, I would love to have some.
Teresa justice

zany artist
2009-02-11, 11:04am
After seeing everyone else's response, OF COURSE I will try it....I too like the devitrification that EDP does, and have learned some workarounds when I do not want it to react.

*Naos*
2009-02-11, 11:18am
To me, Mocha, Sedona and EDP are nearly the same thing, just with a brownish hue to the Mocha. Personally, I was disappointed that it didn't maintain the color in the rod - that's gorgeous. But it devits so bad on my HH that this is what I get - looks nothing like the rod:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ruth Nichols
2009-02-11, 11:55am
I LOVE LooOOvE that bead Amber!

nicholebeth
2009-02-11, 1:50pm
While the formula for the "new" batches of EDP may be the same, the rods are certainly different. Not just thicker, but VERY shocky , and the color doesn't seem as vivid. I lost 3 inches before I gave up on the new rod and found a rod of the old stuff.

I haven't seen the mocha, but I'd love to try it out!

Ruth Nichols
2009-02-11, 3:00pm
I was hearing that the makers are sending the "seconds" to the USA. Not sure how true that is.. can anyone shed some light on this?

bluhealer
2009-02-12, 8:59am
While the formula for the "new" batches of EDP may be the same, the rods are certainly different. Not just thicker, but VERY shocky , and the color doesn't seem as vivid. I lost 3 inches before I gave up on the new rod and found a rod of the old stuff.

I haven't seen the mocha, but I'd love to try it out!

I had no idea there was a difference until I used some of this latest batch and wondered what was wrong with it. The color is definitely lighter, and it doesn't seem to spread as much. Maybe it is only normal variation, but I don't recall this drastic a change between batches until now. I was able to grab some older stuff from ABR in Tucson, so I'll be able to compare the two instead of relying on memory.

BeadMaven
2009-02-12, 10:51am
I was hearing that the makers are sending the "seconds" to the USA. Not sure how true that is.. can anyone shed some light on this?

Really? Wow.

I am sure many would be interested to know if this is true or not,that isn't a good rumor to have going around about a product or the maker.

Hopefully someone will see this that knows what is going on and shed
some light on it.

mikefrantz
2009-02-12, 11:44am

Ok, so who said the glass makers are sending "seconds" to the USA?

Mikey

JBeads
2009-02-12, 4:51pm

Really? Oh man...I am on my last two rods of the old EDP and at the price it is now, I won't be replacing it, if this is the case.

Wow glad I came here and read this before placing a re-order.

J

nicholebeth
2009-02-12, 5:10pm
LOL - I'll keep buying the old EDP until its no longer available, I'm afraid. I love the color too much and the new EDP just isn't what I want.

JBeads
2009-02-12, 5:21pm
LOL - I'll keep buying the old EDP until its no longer available, I'm afraid. I love the color too much and the new EDP just isn't what I want.

Who still has, or who can you order the old from?

I am pretty sure my supplier up here will have the new batches. I am going to email her and ask, but I am sure she won't have the old anymore.:sad:

J

JBeads
2009-02-12, 5:24pm
oh sorry that was rude of me to ask Nicole. I completely understand if you don't want to give that info out.

Ruth Nichols
2009-02-12, 5:33pm

Mikey

It was something that was told to me about 20 months ago... I forget who said it but it was at the 2007 gathering. You know, I know better then repeating things I don't know for fact. I am hoping that I am understanding this question from you as a no, they are not seconds. Or was that a question as to who is spilling the beans?

SadiesJewels
2009-02-12, 11:14pm
I've also heard this rumour (long time ago known - that americans get the seconds - or at least what the Italians don't care about - may be malicious rumour but) ... and I had some (perhaps???) proof of it last summer when I took a class with an old glass master who had rods of colors and thicknesses I had never seen (brought them with him) - all of it had been hand made for him at the factory (he had friends in high places)!

cgbeads
2009-02-13, 12:05am
and I had some (perhaps???) proof of it last summer when I took a class with an old glass master who had rods of colors and thicknesses I had never seen (brought them with him) - all of it had been hand made for him at the factory (he had friends in high places)!

Can't blame him, if I had connections I wouldn't buy off the shelf either.

I have a friend who lived on the island a couple of years ago, and he talked about how when they needed glass they would just walk (or rather boat over) to the Moretti factory and pick out what they wanted, so I don't think it's so much that they are sending us the seconds, but rather that the masters and locals get first choice.

It only makes sense that that's the way it works... I wish I lived closer to Frantz's and could pick up my own glass too.

GinnyHampton
2009-02-13, 5:37am
To me, Mocha, Sedona and EDP are nearly the same thing, just with a brownish hue to the Mocha. Personally, I was disappointed that it didn't maintain the color in the rod - that's gorgeous. But it devits so bad on my HH that this is what I get - looks nothing like the rod:

This was my experience with Mocha too . . . very much like a brown EDP.
I experimented with a quickie "pandora" type bead and here's the bead compared to the rod. The bead has as bit of devit on it, but I sort of like it on a smaller bead. I too wish the rod stayed true to color, I'd love to see a nice rich brown instead of a reddish brown. If you love EDP, you'll love mocha:

beadworkstudio
2009-02-13, 8:23am

Mikey

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PaulaD
2009-02-13, 10:58am
Here is Mocha encased with Lauscha clear. (Yes Lauscha Clear!)
I think it's really pretty! I have not had more time to experiment with it but I like it!
Paula154717

PaulaD
2009-02-13, 11:02am
Here is a better photo:156496 Encased with Lauscha it looks like Sandstone. (Can you imagine what a really good beadmaker could do with this color??)

Paula

BeadMaven
2009-02-13, 11:16am
Your spacers look like mine did Paula. They had a little devit near the holes but its a really pretty brown.

Dreamscapes Studio
2009-02-13, 11:17pm
What an absolutely YUMMY color. We can get past devit the same way we do with EDP.
Anything to expand our color palette into warm earthtones.

Beadzz
2009-02-14, 3:44am
Beautiful beads everyone! I also like this glass, the 4 dark rounds are Mocha and the middle bead as well, i like the ancient look of the middle bead :)
It devits like crazy and i personally think it's harder to get the devit away than with EDP.

perlienne
2009-02-14, 9:54am
hmmmm....

I heard the same the other way round:
"the good stuff goes to Frantz and the rest stays for us customers in europe", so what!!!??? :waving: LOL

maroli
2009-02-14, 10:22am
I have some mocha and love this glass even if it devits.
Here a focal with Leaky pen and black nebula

PaulaD
2009-02-14, 10:29am
yummy

Ruth Nichols
2009-02-14, 11:28am
hmmmm....

"the good stuff goes to Frantz and the rest stays for us customers in europe", so what!!!??? :waving: LOL

LOL.. I would like to play with the glass they are calling "seconds". I always find that I like the stuff most people reject. Hey, if your hogging "seconds" glass over there...... lol

maroli
2009-02-14, 3:41pm
I also asked about the Mocha. ... Would you buy it again? Your answers will help me decide to get it or not get it.

I thank you for your time.

Mike Frantz

I forgot to answer to your question. "Would you buy it again?"
Even if I like to work with this color, Mocha is very nice,
I would not buy it again.
For me lampwork is a hobby so I prefer to try another brown and of course if it is not devit it will be best for me. Seriously I understand your first decision by not taking this glass.
Have a nice day
Lise

cgbeads
2009-02-14, 10:28pm

Ya, this is getting confusing. Like, who's on first, what's on second, and "I don't really care is on third"

Silver Moon Lampwork
2009-02-15, 10:58am
Here's my second try with Mocha. First one went to the trash. It turned kind of pink on me but the pink faded in the kiln. I was not able to keep the dark brown color. It's been encased with Diamond clear and "glitzed." It reminds me a lot of Sedona, which is sitting idle. Not sure if I would buy it again.

donnam
2009-02-18, 1:12pm
I like the mocha, I think it is pretty.

lunamoonshadow
2009-02-27, 9:31am
I haven't tried it (budget again :pout:) but I have a gorgeous bead made by Joe from mocha & I love it! It's on my "wish list" 'cause I don't mind devit' glass--the first thing I figured out on my hothead was "how to fix EDP" (thanks to !ngrid's explanations on WC!) :)

mikefrantz
2009-02-27, 10:18am
hmmmm....

I have been purchasing glass rods since the early 1980's. If Effetre ever makes bad glass, and that would consist of glass that is not compatible, it would always be tossed out, but incompatible glass is very rare at Effetre.

Sometimes the tonality of Coral is great and they have thousands of pounds, other times they might produce coral for a week and they may have many tonalities, all of them compatible, but different. One person will love one tonality and hate the other.

When I order glass, they just pull what is the next to come off the floor. If I am at the factory, then I can pick one tonality over another or get some of both.

There is no truth that Frantz Art Glass or those in Europe or in Murano and Venice getting something better glass than somebody else.

It is always great to handpick my own glass, but I can not handpick each shipment and if I go to Murano once a year, I can pick some nice color, and if I see some that is really special, but too much for me to put on one container, I do have the option to have them hold a particular color or tonality for me for future shipments.

I will be going back to Murano in May of this year and will keep my eyes out for great color!

Mike Frantz

bluhealer
2009-02-28, 5:40pm

My first try with Mocha---it looked pink when it went in the kiln, but this is what it looked like when it came out. I didn't give it much chance to devit, just wrapped it in clear.

PaulaD
2009-02-28, 5:49pm
WOW!! That is pretty! Mine sure didn't come out like that!
Paula

theglasszone
2009-03-01, 1:54pm
Beautiful beads everyone! I also like this glass, the 4 dark rounds are Mocha and the middle bead as well, i like the ancient look of the middle bead :)
It devits like crazy and i personally think it's harder to get the devit away than with EDP.

Oooo, I especially LOVE the way this set came out...no yellow cast! Just true Cocoa-Mocha!!!!

De

mewsicmama
2009-03-01, 3:17pm
Drooling here.....

lunamoonshadow
2009-03-02, 4:34am
Coral? Did someone say CORAL????? (i :love: coral....almost all the corals....sigh....)