Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Gas line installation/no UL listing for torch?

Sherri*S
2006-01-23, 4:17pm
I am assuming from what I read in the other gas line thread, that lampworking torches are not UL listed residential?

My plumber just told me he won't be able to install our gas line if I can't give him documentation that both my torch (a minor) and hoses are UL listed. ](*,)

Can anyone give me suggestions of how to approach this? We can't install the line ourselves - has anyone else been able to get around this, or get city inspector to make an exception, or anything? I really don't want to use propane, as my torch room is on the second floor - I can't see how that would work. :cry:

MikeAurelius
2006-01-23, 5:13pm
That's bullshit. Plain and simple. He does not need to know what is being hooked up to the line. Nobody does.

You'll probably have to find another installer, this time, just tell him to install the line and don't tell him about the torch - he doesn't need to know!

Torches are considered portable devices and while not exempt from UL listing, are usually not UL listed because of the extreme cost of getting a listing or approval from UL.

Hoses are UL listed, most hose sets have a tag or label on them. Torches, no.

Sherri*S
2006-01-23, 5:44pm
oh good... thanks Mike :) I was hoping to hear something like that.... it was weird i've been going back and forth with the plumber for about a week. now all of a sudden he says he needs this. why didnt he say that when he first came out? guess he just doesnt want the work, lol