Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Can etching solution go bad?

Diane Gates
2009-03-19, 11:46am
I was trying to etch some sanddollars that I made with the Surf and Turf tutorial. When I pulled it out of the etching solution, it looks dirty. I only had a 1 1/2 inch bead in there for 10 minutes. If I could figure out how to upload a photo I would. I keep getting an error message.

Has this happened to anyone else and can I clean it up after the fact?

shawnette
2009-03-19, 11:51am
The bead ot the solution looks dirty? Dirty solution is normal. The bead can probably be cleaned. It takes a long time for etch to go bad, unless you've contaminated it.

Diane Gates
2009-03-19, 12:17pm
The bead looks dirty, the solution looks like it always does. Recommendations on how to possibly clean it? Thanks Shawnette!

shawnette
2009-03-19, 12:53pm
I use glass cleaner.

deirdreschaneman
2009-03-19, 2:07pm
I find that cream etcher is easier to keep uncontaminated, easier to control and etches cleaner than the liquid form.

squid
2009-03-19, 2:14pm
Have you neutralized the acid on the bead since taking it out of the etch? If not, you need to rinse it with a water/baking soda solution - and then clean the bead.

Holaday
2009-03-19, 8:48pm
Hi,
I much prefer the liquid etching solution to the cream. I find the cream creates streaks. Cream etching solution is great if you want to apply it to small areas of a bead, leaving other areas not etched.

After prolonged use I expect the etchant might become weaker, that would make sense, but not positive about this. Still works to some degree in my experience. I eventually replace it with fresh etchant. I sometimes run the solution through a coffee filter to (maybe) remove solids.

To speed up the process, I first warm the beads in hot water, I then place beads in etching solution, rinse in plain water, dry to judge results, etch longer if needed, rinse and dry to inspect... if it looks good, I rinse in water with baking soda to stop the etching action, rinse in water with soap to neutralize the baking soda while scrubbing with a toothbrush to remove dissolved glass, rinse, dry, inspect. Any dissolved glass that remains on the bead looks like a white powder when the bead is dry.

I string a group of beads made with the same type of glass (primarily transparents or primarily opaques) on a stretchy cord to make it easy to dip and rinse. Heat speeds the process, but I don't heat the solution. I prefer to heat the bead in hot water instead. Opaques etch more quickly than transparents. Not all colors etch at the same rate. All transparent or opaques from the same glass maker do not etch at the same rate.

I like to make twistys with opaques and transparents and etch for a short time. Opaques become matte and transparents remain slightly shiny. Nice contrast.

Diane Gates
2009-03-20, 11:46am
Thanks so much everyone. I am going to try these tips next time. I love LE because there are a lot of great people who are always willing to share and help!