Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Free tutorials - Butterfly beads and Heart beads

Diane Woodall
2009-04-13, 10:44am
Hi everyone,

My sister, Becky Mason, and I have two free tutorials we'd like to send to anyone who wants them. They were both produced for the newsletter I write for my local ISGB chapter, but we thought other people might enjoy learning how to make butterfly beads and heart beads. The butterfly tutorial is intermediate level, but the hearts could be made by a beginner.

Becky and I make these two kinds of beads for Beads of Courage, a program that helps children with serious illnesses cope by giving them beads for their acts of courage during their treatment. They present the kids with a purple heart when they reach the end of their treatment, so they are very special. When a child dies from their illness, which sadly does happen, BOC gives the family a butterfly bead. For this reason the hearts and the butterflies are the two beads with the most meaning for BOC.

If you want copies of these tutorials just send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send them out to you ASAP. You don't have to make beads for Beads of Courage for me to send you the tutorials. You can just use them to have fun. How you use them is up to you, but we just wanted to share them with you since both kinds of beads are so much fun to make.

Here are some photos of some butterflies Becky and I made and also a photo of some hearts Becky made. The tutorials are for the basic beads and you can add your own creative touch to make them your own. There are more photos in the tutorials.

BYW, there are abbreviated versions of the tutorials on my website: http://www.dianewoodall.com/pages/FreeTutorials.htm but they don't have all of the sample photos attached.

NLC Beads
2009-04-13, 10:51am
I posted this link in the Beads of Courage challenge I'm running in the game room, thank you so much!
Nikki

Diane Woodall
2009-04-13, 11:04am
That's awesome Nikki! Making beads for BOC is so rewarding. They don't take much time to make and they mean so much to those kids.

Thanks so much for posting the link.

Diane

dalilly
2009-04-13, 11:09am
Diane,

A HUGE "Thank You" to you and your sister for offering this tutorial to us. BOC beads in the making. :)

Linda

swamper
2009-04-13, 11:25am
Wow - what lovelies! And, so generous of you two.

theglasszone
2009-04-13, 11:44am
Very nice!! I've just added BOC to my Facebook...I can't wait to be back at the torch again! I will be starting every session as best I can with at least 1 BOC contribution!

Hugs,
De

Diane Woodall
2009-04-13, 11:59am
De, that is such a good idea. I keep a stash of purple glass near my torch so that I can start my sessions with a purple heart. By the end of the month I'm often surprised at how many I have. I make my heart while my kiln ramps up and by the time I'm done it's hot enough to pop it in.

Deb Hopeful Journeys
2009-04-13, 1:00pm
I'm so excited to get these tutorials. I tried making a butterfly last year and lets just say it was a disaster. BOC is dear to my heart, because I have a daughter that is a 10 year suvivor to cancer. She is 16 and driving, yikes.

Will PM you my email info.

Thanks for sharing this

slcuniques
2009-04-13, 1:17pm
Diana, My daughter has one of these beads from when her son, my grandson, died from heart failure. He would have been 10 years old this month. She cherishes it and has it hanging over his Portrait in the Living-room.
He was at the Childrens hospital in Houston. Thank you for your selfless acts of love and encouragement to these children and their families. It means more than you'll ever realize.

Diane Woodall
2009-04-13, 2:11pm
Wow Sandy, it's so good to hear from someone who has been personally touched by BOC. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandbaby. No parent should outlive their child.

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I hope it will motivate more people to muster the courage to make these beads. I just wish I hadn't waited so long myself.

Becky Mason
2009-04-13, 5:21pm
Diane - thanks for starting this post and for volunteering to email all of the free tuts. It really is a super rewarding experience to make hearts and butterflies, and get actively involved with BOC.

The small group of glass girlfriends that I hang out with is very committed to both BOC and our local Florida Children's Hospital, and we have, over the past 3 years, donated thousands of beads to BOC, including hundreds of hearts and butterflies. Just recently we were asked by the Florida Children's Hospital to make 35 butterfly beads for their annual Remembrance Service, so we all devoted time at our torches for this special project and the end result was about 60 butterfly beads. I will try to find the photos we took of all of them, or if some of my girlfriends read this and have photos they took, maybe they will post their photos.

We turned every butterfly bead into a wire-wrapped pendant that the mothers could wear, and most of them included a dangling group of crystals, matching heart bead, or sterling silver heart charm. They were really special.

But I've also made lots of other hearts and butterflies too. Like Diane said, they aren't just BOC designs. They are fun beads to make.

We hope you all take advantage of these free tutorials, and that you too have fun with them.

I want to personally thank my friend Jill Hoblick who took the photos for the butterfly bead tutorial. It was a first time for both of us working on a tutorial, and I think the photos turned out pretty darned good. Then of course Diane put the whole tutorial together, which was a remarkable feat in itself, especially considering she wasn't there for the photo shoot.

nmsaddlebum
2009-04-16, 7:08am
Diane and Becky,
Thank you so much for the tuts, that is very generous of you!

Kate

donia
2009-04-16, 7:33am
Diane and Becky,
Thank you so much for the tuts, that is very generous of you!

Kate

Double Ditto \\:D/

I've printed mine off and this weekend is suppose to be less windy and a bit warmer. I may get some time to torch with the garage door open and enjoy a little sun shine. :koolaid:

Diane Woodall
2009-04-16, 8:03am
It's our pleasure. Just to let you all know....we've sent out over 80 copies of these tuts in the last few days. Imagine the surprise at BOC headquarters when hearts and butterflies start pouring in. They won't know what is going on.

teachertracey
2009-04-20, 4:51pm
I'll try a butterfly now and will let you know how it goes. The tut is wonderful.

Rachael's Mom
2009-04-22, 6:29pm
Hi,
Just read this..may I get in on these as well?

Bead_lover
2009-04-23, 8:25am
Diane,
Thanks for the tutorial. I've made 2 butterflies so far, the first was only so-so, actually I tried to put a head on it and everyone at the Guild told me it looked like another type of head. :oops:
So I tried again with a rounder head and it's really cute. I have a whole box of beads to send to Beads of Courage but am working on the people at the Craft Guild (clay people, too) so we'll have a BIG box to sent.
Melody

JSoch
2009-04-25, 9:57am
Thank you so much for the butterfly tut...I have been trying to figure that out for ages!

Jacqueline

MerryFool
2009-04-25, 11:09am
Thank you both for these tuts... it's a great thing to do to help others and I love the idea (and plan!) to start each session making either a heart or butterfly for the BoC.
:love:

Fran
2009-04-25, 3:42pm
Thank you so much for emailing me the tut. I think that's a great idea to start each session making a heart or butterfly, Mary. I'm starting tomorrow! My b/f is into the hockey playoffs right now so I don't feel like I'm neglecting him by staying on the torch in the evenings :)

NLC Beads
2009-04-26, 7:30am
If you're making them to send in for Beads of Courage - Becky and Diane, too! - check out the game I have running. You can win Nikki beads, glass, frit, or a CattWalk press.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126590

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, I love the excitement I'm seeing here!
Nikki

Diane Woodall
2009-04-26, 11:38am
What an awesome idea Nikki! I hope Beads of Courage is inundated with beads. Since I've been focusing on hearts and butterflies there is no way I could win your contest, but just thinking about how many hundreds of beads are destined for BOC makes me very proud of the members of LE.

I attended the orientation at MD Anderson Cancer Hospital here in Houston when BOC came to introduce the program to the staff. Another of our chapter members, Jan Locander, is responsible for bringing BOC to Houston and we were so excited to be invited to the orientation.

We were able to see a presentation showing a nurse bringing a basket of lampwork beads, each in its own little zip-lock bag, into a patient's room and how she took so much time looking at each and every one of them before making up her mind which one would go on her strand. It was very moving to think that each bead we make will become the prized possession of a child we may never meet, but whose life will be positively impacted by what we do.

I can't wait to see what the final tally of your contest turns out to be. Good luck!

Diane

NLC Beads
2009-04-26, 11:43am
What an awesome idea Nikki! I hope Beads of Courage is inundated with beads. Since I've been focusing on hearts and butterflies there is no way I could win your contest, but just thinking about how many hundreds of beads are destined for BOC makes me very proud of the members of LE.

I attended the orientation at MD Anderson Cancer Hospital here in Houston when BOC came to introduce the program to the staff. Another of our chapter members, Jan Locander, is responsible for bringing BOC to Houston and we were so excited to be invited to the orientation.

We were able to see a presentation showing a nurse bringing a basket of lampwork beads, each in its own little zip-lock bag, into a patient's room and how she took so much time looking at each and every one of them before making up her mind which one would go on her strand. It was very moving to think that each bead we make will become the prized possession of a child we may never meet, but whose life will be positively impacted by what we do.

I can't wait to see what the final tally of your contest turns out to be. Good luck!

Diane

Thanks for telling us this, it's always heartwarming to know the beads are so treasured. :love: There's not a BoC group at my local hospital yet...

Actually, I have 3 drawings in the challenge -
1 for people who made more butterflies and hearts than me (I have 2 right now, it's an easy challenge - I need to make more!)
1 for people who send more Act of Courage beads than me (I need to make more of these, too, I was focused on the HOPE project to get those 100 beads in before the deadline.)
1 totally random drawing, regardless of how many beads you send in.

Anyone can win, and if people are already sending beads in, why not enter? :)

There's also a challenge going at Wet Canvas, too. :) (Not run by me!)

rncats2003
2009-05-11, 5:52pm
Hi Diane,
Our group is making beads for BOC this year. My attempts at the butterflys have been very fugly looking creatures. Thank you so much, Maureen

GypsieJulesJewelry
2009-05-12, 12:50am
Hi Diane,

I would also like a copy of the tuts. And permission to share with my Bead Buddies--

When the program was brought to Anchorage, Alaska a bunch of lampworkers jumped at the chance to participate. We are all members of the Alaska Bead Society and participated in the annual Bead Show at the Museum last October. First we all donated something off of our sales table for the lucky winner. To win you have to be the one who turns in the most beads by the next Bead Show at the Museum in October.

Second, in addition to the Purple Hearts and Butterflies we were asked to make fancy beads for special occasions. Of course there are some in the group that have redefined competition, but I'm not naming names.........

Third, we have gotten together at Glass Firenze in Eagle River, Alaska where the owner Deb Spence has donated a portion of the day's fuel and glass to keep us working. We make beads, someone picks them up at the studio, a couple more of us cleaned the beads and then they were photographed and turned in.

So with your permission I would like to share the tuts, especially the butterfly, with my BOC Bead Buddies.

Thanks,
Julie

Diane Woodall
2009-05-12, 3:54pm
Hi Julie, By all means we want these tutorials to be shared. Pass them on, forward them to your friends...we want as many people as possible to have an opportunity to learn how to make the hearts and butterflies.

I'll PM you to get your e-mail address and will send them right out to you.

Thanks for everything you do for BOC. IF I lived in Alaska I'd definitely want to be in your group. :waving:

GypsieJulesJewelry
2009-05-12, 10:59pm
Diane,

All are welcome to join us. We are a great group of women; when there is a gathering it makes you want to hang out at the studio where we all go to just for the food, friendship, food, fun, food!!LOL!! Oh ya, and to make beads.

I'm looking forward to the tuts. And again, thanks.

Julie

A_Glass_Bash
2009-05-12, 11:27pm
If you're making them to send in for Beads of Courage - Becky and Diane, too! - check out the game I have running. You can win Nikki beads, glass, frit, or a CattWalk press.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126590

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, I love the excitement I'm seeing here!
Nikki

Just had to say a Nikki beads worth a lot.. I have a NON sheep Nikki bead and a Sheep Nikki bead so I feel like I can vouch all the way around.. :)

I am hoping to get the hh hooked back up this week and might try some flutterbys myself.

pyro4life
2009-07-26, 2:56pm
I am not sure if you are still giving out this tutorial, but I think the BOC is fantastic! I would love to have the tutorial if you are still sending it out to people, as I would love to make some for the children and their families! Thanks so much!
toadlyunique@triad.rr.com is my e-mail.

Thanks again!
Alicia :love:

Diane Woodall
2009-07-26, 8:01pm
Hi Alicia,

Yours are on the way. I have to tell you all that the response to our offer has been just overwhelming...in a good way. We'll continue to send them out as long as there are people who want them. If I can figure out a way to post them on my website I will. Otherwise I'll just do it the old fashioned way...with a personal touch.

I'd love to see some butterflies and hearts!

glassbead
2009-07-28, 6:53pm
Our glass group just made a few beads for BOC the other day. We didn't manage to make a lot, so we're going to work on them independently this month and then send them in. It was fun, and everyone was very excited to partitcipate. The video of me making butterflies may end up on youtube soon. I learned from the old Sharon Peters directions, but have put a bit of a different spin on it. I love the directions for the heart based on those by Mary Jarvis. It's always inspiring to learn something new. Thanks for the tuts!

glassbead
2009-07-31, 1:28pm
Here's the tutorial on my blog, which also has a link to the youtube video.
http://isinglassdesign.blogspot.com/2009/07/lampwork-glass-butterflies-for-beads-of.html

Lynda D. Burpo
2009-08-08, 7:38am
HI~~~
I'm new at beading & have gotten quite drawn into this art form, a new passion for sure! I would enjoy seeing your tutorial on hearts & butterflies. My e'mail address is tlcbylynda@gmail.com
Thanks for sharing!

SilverRiverJewelry
2009-08-21, 7:52pm
I also have send you my email address and look forward to giving the hearts a go soon and the butterfly's when I am a bit more experienced lol! They are quite lovely

SilverRiverJewelry
2009-08-21, 7:55pm
I should add that clearly I am not experienced enough to make beads that are going to be usable for this just yet lol but hopefully I will be able to contribute in the future.

lvsglass
2009-12-18, 2:56pm
Diane, I would love these tutorials but I'm new to posting...how do I "PM" you? Bye the way...I love how you are using your talent to help children!!

brandy514
2011-01-16, 11:23pm
Going through these tutorials from a few years back is awesome - I am learning all sorts of things, thanks for posting ... and also ... WAHOO, I made a fish that's ... well, he's a little messy, but he CLEARLY looks like a fish. It was so much fun! I'll post a pic with my other beads after he cools off. Great tutorial!