Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Seashell Tutorial Desperately Wanted!!

Shelley
2006-01-29, 3:25am
Would some kind soul share their knowledge and give a tutorial on seashells please? I really love them and am desperate to make some !!

Thanks in advance...
Shelley.

ElizabethCreations
2006-01-29, 7:16am
Melanie have a very nice seashells tutorial;

Here's the link : http://www.moonrakerbeads.com/seashell.html

Very easy to do and well explained.

Shelley
2006-01-29, 1:58pm
Thanks guys.... Kimberley, if you know the actual name of that book, I'll hunt it down..

Shelley.

Tanya
2006-01-29, 5:37pm
Shelley - The book is called "The Enamel and Electroform Decorated Beads of Kate Fowle Melaney" by Jim Kervin. It's really more of a booklet. His main book is called "More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Glass Beadmaking" and is great. He's also done a series of booklets each focusing on a specific bead artist. The one about Kate Fowle Melaney has a couple of seashell tutorials. I just came across another tutorial by Kate Fowle Melaney on seashells somewhere else and I'm having trouble remembering well. I think it's on line somewhere. If I can remember, I'll let you know. I highly recommend the Kervin books though!

Lara
2006-01-29, 6:10pm
Didn't she publish a tutorial in Lapidary Journal several years back on seashells?

Tanya
2006-01-29, 6:31pm
Lara - that could certainly be it. I saw it recently and remember thinking it looked like older work of hers. I definitely recommend the Kervin book because it's more recent and she goes into a lot more like how to make the murrini cane. Plus there's also the enamel and electroforming stuff. She's also a work in the middle of the mandrel person (like me!)

hulagirl
2006-01-30, 12:33pm
Shelley: I was looking for a shell tut also.

Melanie: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

& Thanks Sharon for letting me know this was here!

I'm gonna be busy that next couple of days lol!

dla
2006-01-31, 4:40am
Liz -
Thanks for posting the link to Melanie's tutorial ! I gave it a try yesterday and the tut is EASY to follow !
Debbie A.

SadiesJewels
2006-02-02, 9:41am
That's is great - so clear. I tried shells last summer some time - they were miserable so I never really went anywhere with them I may try this when I get some time!

Sadie

dla
2006-02-02, 2:45pm
Here are the first two shells I made the other day along with some "clam" shells. lol ! Anyway, like I mentioned, easy tut to follow and the shells are fun to make. Please excuse the crappy picture. :roll:
Debbie A.16016

Lara
2006-02-03, 9:35pm
Debbie, those look great. I esp like the one on the bottom R.

dla
2006-02-04, 7:37am
Hi Lara -
Thanks ! Actually, that is the best one too ! lol ! And HUGE ! lol ! Done with Vetrofond Dark Ivory and nothing else. One of my new favorite colors ! lol !
Debbie

hummingbird3172
2006-02-04, 6:40pm
Thank you for posting that link...I've tried shells...once and they were awful...I look forward to trying them again! :)

silkys
2006-09-17, 12:11am
This page for tut seems to be missing .. anyone still have it ??

squid
2006-09-17, 6:45pm
I found this tutorial the other day.

http://www.theflowmagazine.com/tut5.htm

born2snooze
2006-09-17, 8:30pm
What happened to Melanie's tutorial? Did she just pull it recently? Seems like some of you seen it, and now its gone.. Bummer...

Carolyn
2006-09-26, 2:24pm
I couldn't find the moonraker tut but did recently use the FLOW tut - excellent! - and easier for us hothead users who may not be able to make a long Kate Fowle type periwinkle stringer - although I LOVE her shells!!

Dawn >^..^<
2006-10-05, 11:17pm
I couldn't find the moonraker tut but did recently use the FLOW tut - excellent! - and easier for us hothead users who may not be able to make a long Kate Fowle type periwinkle stringer - although I LOVE her shells!!

It was so nice to read that you found my tutorial in The Flow to be helpful! I haven't received very much feedback on it.
Thanks a bunch!

CaptElaine
2006-10-07, 5:33am
Oh Dawn I LOVE your tutorial... over on WC it is the newbie worksheet this week... I had no idea who to thank so a BIG thank you to you.

DebbieL
2007-07-22, 1:07am
Hello Dawn

I just wanted to say that I was searching for a shell tutorial this past week and found the link here to your tute in The Flow Magazine and it is just great!!! Thank you so much for it. =D>

Sylvie D.
2007-07-22, 2:09am
There was also this tut in the flow (the base is a hollow bead):
http://www.theflowmagazine.com/tut7a.htm

And Dawn your tut was well appreciated on the french beadmaker forum. Not every body understands english but with the step by step pictures I think every body could figure it out.

And If you got a chance to buy the Jim Kervin booklet, just do it. It's money well spent. And Kate Fowle is a wonderful, wonderful teacher.