Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Minor vs. Pirannah - opinions please!

beadworkstudio
2006-01-29, 10:17am
I'm seriously thinking about getting a Pirannah because I've been told it is better for long or large beads. However, I've also read that people don't like the pinpoint flame on the Pirannah vs. the wider flame on the Minor.

Has anyone used both to make long, skinny beads? What about larger focals? Which did you like best and why?

Edited to add: I work with soft glass, and have no real desire to get into boro. Of course, a month ago I thought the minor would be all I'd ever need, and I changed my mind on that. So who knows! I currently have a minor on an oxy con and propane, and I'm also looking at getting an M10 concentrator.

Tink
2006-01-29, 10:32am
At the Museum and many other venues, I teach on Minors. At home, I use the center fire of a Barracuda, which is, essentially, a Piranha. My personal opinion is that the Piranha flame is more flexible than the Minor.

R4GlassStudio
2006-01-30, 5:31am
I would say width of flame is the same, but the Piranha has more focus and heat. The M10 powers the Piranha perfectly. Happy Torch Hunting!

Lynn Larson
2006-01-30, 6:32am
I have both. The minor is a very good torch, and i used one for 4 years, but i am in love with my piranha! I've been making bigger beads on the piranha, and boro, with one concentrator. Plus, you can get an itty-bitty flame for stringer work or spot heating.

cghipp
2006-01-30, 9:11am
I have to throw in my standard plug for the Mini CC. I've used all three and I much prefer the Mini CC over the other two.

Courtney

hannabiggs
2006-01-30, 9:32am
I haven't used the Piranha, but I recently switched from a Minor to a Mini CC. I was trying to make beads about 2 inches long and was having a lot of trouble with cracking. I did some research and found out that the Mini CC is very good for focals because the heat from the flame is wider and fluffier than on the Minor and the heat radiates out to the sides more. I've been using it for about a month now making mostly focals and not one has cracked. The Mini CC can also be easily adjusted to a narrow flame for smaller beads.

Besides that, when I was doing my research, the manufacturer of the Piranha did not respond to my email, and the manufacturer of the Mini spoke to me on the phone and answered my questions. So the customer service also influenced my decision.

Hanna

Shawn T
2006-01-30, 11:01am
I used a minor for years and bought a Piranha about 3 months ago.
I LOVE it, I can do more on the Piranha than I could on the Minor with a tank. I only use one concnetrator with my Piranha and it's plenty of heat. It melts faster and I am able to do large sculpture pieces which I couldn't do before. Yes, it has a pinpoint flame which in some cases I think turns people off right away. I do want to add that just because you can get a pinpoint flame doesn't mean it doesn't also have the heat and flame to do larger and longer pieces.
I have also used the Cudda for me It's overkill for the things I make right now. I do sometimes make dragons up to 2 inches long, have no problems keeping everything warm.

Heather/Ericaceae
2006-01-30, 11:17am
Hmm, I got great customer service from Jerry and Marcie at Bethlehem. Maybe they are just overwhelmed right now with the Betta and Marcie's Laucha preparations? But I agree that Chris at Carlisle is awesome! The reason I chose a Piranha was because I heard from various reviewers that it performed well at lower pressures, which was important to me. For those who have used multiple torches, I'd love to hear your impressions of how the Mini-CC and Minor compare with the Piranha in 02-use (especially with oxycons), performance on NG-pressures and/orcarbon buildup? I haven't used the other torches but I'm happy with the Piranha in those respects.

It's true that the Piranha flame is not super-fat (not that I have a point of comparison!) but I've been working on longer beads and find that I just need to angle it into the flame and that works fine. I like that I can get my fingers within an inch of the flame without getting crispy, too. Cheers - Heather

hannabiggs
2006-01-30, 3:55pm
I also would be interested to know if the Piranha performs better at lower oxy pressures. I can't have tanks where I live. I use the OG-15 generator and when I had my Minor, I could not turn up the flame for big focals because I didn't get enough oxygen. I've used a Minor with tanked oxy in a class and the difference is HUGE. Things have been better with the Mini CC but oxy pressure fluctuates when I'm working large. I'm sure it's not the torch. Sometimes I can see the candles of the flame go up and down in sync with the "breathing" of the OG-15 and I can tell by the gauges on the OG-15 that the pressure and output have dropped. It is going to be replaced as soon as I can afford it. I'm thinking of getting the Integra 10. If it puts out more oxygen and less noise, I won't need much convincing!
Hanna

Mr. Smiley
2006-01-30, 5:16pm
Hanna... the new M-10 will scream a smaller torch and they are a great deal... 10 PSI and 10 LPM. I think they are just under $600. If you want more info, PM me. ;)

Hands down, I think the Piranha is the better choice of the smaller torches. It's fuel efficient and works all kinds of glass easily. :love:

Aleigh
2006-01-30, 5:27pm
I am so glad you asked this. I have been wondering the same thing!

So, do you guys think that the Pirhana is a enough of a "step-up" from a minor that it would be worth upgrading to?

Thanks!

Amy

Aleigh
2006-01-30, 5:28pm
Oops! Piranha :rolleyes:

Mr. Smiley
2006-01-30, 7:48pm
Amy... it depends on what you want to do with it. If you are thinking of stepping into boro, yes. If you're just doing small soft glass beads, maybe not. ;)

Aleigh
2006-01-31, 9:31am
Brent,

Thank you. I am thinking of trying some small boro. I have been working on my Minor for about three years and am starting to feel limited and frustrated when working on large beads.

Thanks!

Amy

P.S. I loved your heart tutorial and have been making lots! Maybe I will brave a post in the gallery this week.

rosiescreations
2006-01-31, 9:51am
on sale here
http://www.dichroicimagery.com/specials.php?osCsid=5cee46c04847999a65b9d0502e2d31 58
http://www.generationsglass.com/Torches.html

Mr. Smiley
2006-01-31, 11:33am
The Pranha has gone up in price. It lists at $325 now... I can still get you the $250 price for a little while... but supplies are limited. Check with the supplier and make sure they have one to ship. I don't currently have my hands on any, but should in a week or so. ;)

Kaye
2006-01-31, 12:58pm
I replaced my minor with the pirahna, and love it...I make very long and very large beads with one concentrator and do just fine, its much more effecient than the minor was.

Julabula
2006-02-01, 12:27pm
I had a Bobcat and Minor, visited Shawn T before Thanksgiving, and tried her Pirahna. I got a new Pirahna for Christmas, ended up selling my Bobcat and have the Minor and the Pirahna running now. I like the price (I got it at the $25)) and the fact it only required one oxy con. It's a wonderful torch, and much better for doing larger pieces than the Minor because it gives much better radiant heat. I like both, but really LOVE my Pirahna.

Julabula
2006-02-01, 12:28pm
Oops...I got it at $250....can't type! LOL

Aleigh
2006-02-01, 12:59pm
Thank you, thank you! Your posts are helping me convince my husband that I will be happier with another torch and not just another oxycon!! Not that he has that much say in the matter, except it's just so much more fun to get a big new toy when they are excited about it too, yah know?

Off to put more jewelry together so I can get my new torch. Maybe after Valentine's day... My customers are loving the little hearts that I learned to make from "Mr. Smiley's" tutorial.

Amy
http://www.aleighdesigns.com

http://15877