Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Red Rocket anyone?

AvenueBeads
2009-05-20, 6:13pm
I know I've posted a thread like this a couple times before but I still cannot settle on an upgrade torch lol.

My first inclination was to go for a GTT phantom but I think that is a bit out of my range at this time. I need to go bigger and can't wait for the extra money to fall in place. I'm doing more and more work with boro and the time it takes me to work on my minor is starting to drive me nuts. I would like to make bigger marbles, and vessel/jar type things with the torch.

So now i'm considering the Nortel Red Rocket. Its important to me that it is a two stage torch, so I can run the center off an oxy con and the outer on tanks with a foot pedal.

There doesn't seem to be much of any information about the Red Rocket anywhere out there. Who has one? I need some opinions.

bzglass
2009-05-20, 8:21pm
Take a look at this torch (the barracuda) before you make up your mind! This is a great burner and you can find them for sale a lot on these forums.

http://www.bethlehemburners.com/bcuda.htm

rg9403
2009-05-21, 12:18am
The red rocket is a great torch IMO. You might have better luck finding some quality opinions on the GLDG ( glass melting pot forum).

check out this thread...
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23492&highlight=red+rocket

AvenueBeads
2009-05-21, 5:19pm
Thank you for the advice BZGlass but I'm not very fond of Bethlehem's torches. I think I would shy away from a torch that you see for sale so often :)

Thanks for the link RG!! Finally some information on this torch, yippie! I think this is going to be my new torch!

SleepyCreekGlass
2009-05-26, 6:11am
I have a Nortel Red Rocket and love it.

HOWEVER, I use my Red Max much more often. IMHO I would suggest you look into a Red Max plumbed with separate inlets for foot petal use. Get the pre-mix rider (NOT the minor) if you are working boro.

As the pre-mix rider allows you to switch tips, it gives you allot of versatility that you won't get with the 'Rocket. (That is unless you get the 3rd rider for it.)

The Rocket's center fire is essentially a minor with a bit better O2 flow...

Again, I have both...but given the choice, I'd get the Red Max and save a few hundred $$ for glass.

Cheers!

~J

shawnette
2009-05-28, 7:45am
Thank you for the advice BZGlass but I'm not very fond of Bethlehem's torches. I think I would shy away from a torch that you see for sale so often :)

Thanks for the link RG!! Finally some information on this torch, yippie! I think this is going to be my new torch!

Actually, you shouldn't base your opinion on that alone. GTTs are for sale all the time, too, and they're the creme of the crop in my opinion. People sell their torches when it's time to upgrade, downgrade or they just need a change. I've have owned Bethlehem, Carlisle and GTTs and would have no qualms using any of them again. The only torch I've ever used that I absolutley hated was a Nortel Minor. Not to say that a minor isn't a good torch, it just doesn't float my boat and I'll probably never own one unless I pick it up dirt cheap. I can't say that I would never buy a Nortel, though, because I haven't used the others and I like to base my opinions on actual experience.

I would suggest getting together with some people in your area and testing out the various torches. The Barracuda is a good torch, as is the Knight Bullet Burner and if you can pick one up for a good price, I wouldn't strike either off the list just yet.