Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : The Pros anc Cons of Doing Shows

starlightdesigns
2006-01-30, 10:29am
Hi all! The following is an exerpt from my website, and I also posted this on WC...

The Intergalactic Bead Show in Memphis went great! I had a great time! Sold lots of goodies. I met and made a lot of new friends and learned a few lessons, too. I sure missed my friend and partner Clara, who couldn't be with me this time. It is always best to have a second pair of eyes, so that things like this strand below doesn't turn up missing! I am just heartsick that these were stolen!!! So, if you just happen to see them somewhere, like on ebay, let me know...

I also learned, the hard way, NOT to use the help of those fellows that offer to help unload or load up your vehicle before or after a show.

I thought these guys were with the show, trying to help people since they wanted us out of the building by 7 p.m.

This one man, Ray, asked me if I would like some assistance loading up. I knew I had plenty of time, and was in no rush, but thought about it, and thinking of my back and the drive home, decided to take him up on his offer.

So, he starts piling totes on my hand truck and I marveled at his ability to wield so much weight. And, he walked really fast, and I could hardly keep up with him. He rushed back to the table to get another load together and by the time I got back there, he had already piled on the next load on my handtruck. He had taken one of the jewelry (bead) cases and laid it on it's side to pile more stuff on top of it. I told him I didn't want that laying on it's side like that, and he uprighted it and rearranged everything. I was starting to protest that he had too much on the handtruck when he tilted the handtruck back, and everything crashed to the floor. I had my jewelry in a large container and it all went flying. My cooler crashed to the floor also he gathered that all up while I put all the jewelry back in the container. As I was putting the jewelry back in the container, I noticed several pieces were broken. I mentioned this him, and his response was, "Oh, that's nothing, somebody over there just dumped 5,000 beads and probably broke most of them too." I looked up him, stunned, and said, "and were they hand-made, too?"

He didn't even offer an apology, nothing!!!

We finally get everything to the van, and he's loading it all up for me. I had my two earring racks inside a tall suitcase with a handle on it. Perfect for the racks, so that the racks can stand up. Without asking me, the jerk lays the case down on it's side. I said loudly, "NO! That has to stay standing up!" I then told him, "Thank you, but you can go help somebody else. I can take it from here".

The man just stood there! When I realized he wasn't leaving, I turned around and he actually had the gall to tell me that I should tip him!

I told him, "First of all, no one told me I had to tip you guys. Second of all, you probably broke $50 worth of jewelry or MORE because of your impatience!"

I was MAD!!!

But, I'm not letting those incidences affect my overall outlook on doing shows. I really, REALLY enjoy doing the shows, they are so much fun. The highlight to me is getting to meet so many fantastic bead people! I just love bead people!

...and I'll be back in Memphis in April!

Here's a link to my Shutterfly photo album, if you'd like to see pictures!

share.dell.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AYsnDJi3as2Wa

...and in closing, I'd like to tell fellow WCer, Chrisdd, that I really enjoyed visiting with you at the show yesterday!!!

Chris showed me some of her work, and boy was I ever impressed! BEAUTIFUL WORK, CHRIS!!!!

Hugs,

starlightdesigns
2006-01-30, 3:06pm
A quick update. I have just finished doing inventory, and a grand total of $241 worth of beads were stolen from me....

I will never again do a show without a partner!

dogmaw
2006-01-30, 3:19pm
Bummer! I am just heartsick for you. I hope your next show goes much better.

starlightdesigns
2006-01-30, 6:45pm
Thanks, Jo, I appreciate that... I am sure my next show will go much better, because I WILL have a partner next time, and she will keep her eyes on the table.

It just STINKS that some people will stoop SO LOW as to steal like that!

I even had a sign on my table as of Sunday morning that read, "Please don't steal from me ~ it's not nice, and it's REALLY BAD KARMA!

That didn't seem to have any affect. I guess some people just don't care about Karma anymore...

SIGH!

Hugs,

Flamechick
2006-01-31, 9:03am
That really sucks about your stolen beads! I just don't get the mindset of a thief! What is going thru their head where they can justify stealing beads and jewelry from someone! Wow, that just ticks me off thinking about it. Sorry to hear some jerkwad stole from you, Debby. Karma WILL catch up with them some day.

Your beadset is pretty, by the way!

ptbeads
2006-01-31, 9:22am
We've found that if you have some downtime it's helpful to move things around. I think they usually make a round to see what's easiest to steal and then show up later.

We sell Italian link charms and I make custom photo charms. Twice someone has stolen my example charms which were pictures of my dog! Bastards!

It's too bad that has happened to you. At least you can take a loss on your taxes, but unfortunately that's the only thing you can do.

chrisdd
2006-01-31, 11:48am
Hi, Debby! :waving: It was great spending time with you and ogling your beautiful beads. Your gorgeous hollow has a place of honor on my desk, right where the sunlight makes it sparkle.

I'm so sorry about the thieves and the "mover". If Clara can't make it in April, please call me...my offer to help still stands.

starlightdesigns
2006-02-01, 8:55am
Thanks, everyone, for the words of encouragement. I have been really depressed for the past few days, but I think I am starting to come out of it...

I've really let all this get to me, and that is not healthy. Instead, I need to focus on how to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future.

Chris, I'll definitely take you up on your offer for April. Clara has admitted she doesn't think she'll be ready to go back to showing by then.

We'll hammer out all the details, but mark your calendar for April 8 - 9!!!

Hugs!!!

Anne Ricketts
2006-02-02, 6:24am
Wow!!! Nice display! How long did it take you to make all those pretties?? So sorry about the theives and the big butt mover guy!!

starlightdesigns
2006-02-02, 7:54am
Hi Anne,

My hubby built the display for me. I wanted something that would display 18 trays PLUS a section for displaying jewelry. The table itself would've only had room for the trays. I like the way the angled display makes the beads easier to see, people don't have to bend over to see them, and yet it's low enough for people in wheelchairs to see them, too.

And making all those pretties? Burning the midnight oil, that's how! It took quite a lot of time, and I am amazed I got as many done as I did.

Thanks!

Anne Ricketts
2006-02-02, 8:19am
So about how many hours a day do you commit to making beads? I just can't seem to get myself diciplined that much! :roll:

starlightdesigns
2006-02-03, 10:05pm
HI Anne,

Well, my hubby has been on light duty at work, working M-Th, leaving me to care for our 3 year old four days a week, so I have been doing a lot of torching at night. Anywhere from 3 to 6 hours. Now that the show is over, I'm slacking off a bit, I've only torched about 3 hours since I got home Sunday night.

Hubby should soon be back on his regular schedule which is Tue, Wed, Sat, and Sundays, which leaves me with up to five days a week to torch, since my 14 year old, and sometimes my 17 year old, is usually home to help watch the 3 year old on the weekends.

I love to torch, and the hours seem to fly by very quickly. If I didn't have to sleep, I could torch straight through morning. LOL! For me, I admit, it's not a matter of discipline. I am simply addicted to playing with glass in the flame.

My next show is in April, though, so I'm gonna have to gear up again soon. :)

Hugs,