Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Propane safety

firefreak
2006-02-01, 7:33pm
I'm still new to this forum, and I'm not looking to step on anyones toes!!! But, I have read through all the posts on propane safety, and found a couple of minor risks that I would like to bring to everyones attention.

First let me give you my credentials. I'm a career (paid) Fire Officer. I have been trained by the U of I Fire School in Fire Prevention, Building Inspection, etc. (BS Fire science). I'm also in charge of a Station, and a Fire crew every third day. (Been in the Fire Service over 15 yrs)

now Let me give credit where credit is due. Mike and Dale, I don't know if you have been trained, but you guys have done ONE HELL OF A JOB!!! I have read all you safety posts, and I am impressed with you working knowledge of safety issues.

OK, the things I have issues with: outside storage of propane. I read that some of you keep propane inside of plastic tubs or other type of storage devices. No problem!!! BUT could you label the outside of the container with nice big (4 inch or larger) letters stating " propane tank inside"?

the reason for this is: All fire officers are trained to walk around any structure fire as soon as the truck stops to identify a huge list of things that may come into play as the fire progresses. It would be easy to miss the fact that there is propane right outside the structure! ( think night, rain, people trapped etc).
I have seen propane tanks in the open before. I assign a crew member to remove them to a safe distance right away!

I have been at a fire where 2 -20lb tanks (stored inside against code) exploded. It blew off the roof( building was 150 x 350 ft) blew 4 of my crew out of the building ( none died, Thank God), and the structure ended up a total loss. So label the container if you would. It is not required for a residence. (Commercial structure is required) But it might save someones life if you label the container.

Second issue: I read that some who live in northern climates place an electric blanket around their tank to help keep the pressure up in cold weather. I have been researching this for the last week, and heres what I came up with. Not against code (NFPA, BOCA, or local), but unsafe none the less. I have called several friends in the fire business and everyone agrees it's unsafe. ( most couldn't believe anyone would even think of this. Very creative!!) I checked our local records and in the past 8 years we have had 3 house fires started by electric blankets. It seems that when they are wadded up and left on high for a couple of hours that the temp can rise to ignition point in older (pre 85) units. Of course they are not rated to get wet either!

So what do you do? I don't have an answer. I know that larger tanks are often buried for aesthetics and to insure pressure stays up. ( something I have to check for when we get called to rural fires), but that is unpractical for a small tank. Insulation does no good. the tank does not generate any heat to hold in. The only thing we could come up with is to make sure that the heating device is not wadded up or very old. or some type of small device that is water resistant and only fits around the tank without being wadded up. No one I talked to was willing to suggest any solutions. One person with NFPA said that a code to address this issue was needed. But in my experience that takes forever.

So in the meantime, be aware that heating a tank is a risk.( rubbermaid containers and rubber hose burn you know) I'm sure with all the creative minds here that someone will come up with a workable solution. If you have to heat your tank keep a close eye on how long you apply heat. Once the liquid is warmed, shut off the heat until needed.

You DON"T want me (or any other firefighters) coming to your house. We leave one HELL of a mess.

Doolollies
2006-02-01, 7:49pm
Thank you and I SHALL mark my storage containers. I personally know a lot of our fire fighters and medics and sure don't want any of them injured.
Linda

MikeAurelius
2006-02-02, 6:47am
Hey Bryan - welcome aboard!

I *DO* use an electric blanket on my tank(s), but only when the outside temperature drops below zero (which occurs usually about 5-10 days total during our winters up here in Minnesota).

I use a blanket that is 4 years old (2002), and it has internal overtemperature cutoffs, and the controller itself will not run more than 8 hours (has an internal timer).

That being said, the only time the electric blanket is in use is during studio hours - when not in use, it is unplugged and the controller removed.

I take care to properly fold the blanket around the tank(s), wrapping properly to avoid bunching and hot spots.

My tanks are stored outside alongside the commercial building, the container is marked with a Propane sign, as well as the shut offs - indicating which direction the handle should be turned to cut off the gas flow.

BLEVE explosions are exciting, aren't they (sarcasm)?

Dale M.
2006-02-02, 8:12am
Thank you Brian.

Dale

pam
2006-02-02, 8:50am
Hi Bryan, Thank you so much for these suggestions. We do, as a community, try to be as safety minded as possible, so your suggestions for additional safety measures are really appreciated.
Pam

Nanette Marie
2006-02-02, 3:19pm
Wow, great to hear from an expert (no offense to Mike and Dale, you guys provide a vital service and have helped so many people here and I truly appreciate it, as I am sure everyone here does). Your advice makes me feel a little better about my set up (since it is fire I'm playing with, I believe I never will feel completely safe and I don't ever want to, that's when careless mistakes happen). I'm going to label my rubbermaid storage container where I keep my propane tank this weekend. Such a good idea, I never would have thought of it, but it does make perfect sense.

Thank you, thank you. And that's to everyone who has taken their time to educate us on all issues of safety.

Heather/Ericaceae
2006-02-08, 11:49am
Welcome! It's great to have another safety expert on board. I really believe that good informative posts on forums like this have helped a TON of people realize that they've been torching unsafely, propane inside, for example, or no ventilation, just from lack of information. When they read about the proper safety approaches they usually make the necessary changes to protect themselves, so I consider our safety experts to be real heros! Sounds like you have a lot of experience to offer - the reminder to label the propane covers is a great one. Heating blankets may be more of a grey area, if the blankets are new and carefully applied like Mike's. Another suggestion I've heard for keeping tanks warm are having an incandescent bulb lit in a top-insulated (but bottom-vented) container. Would that be safer?

-Heather

firefreak
2006-02-08, 2:48pm
If the container was metal, a light bulb might work OK. As long as it wasn't left on all the time. I would not try it with a plastic container. I have seen fires started with light bulbs and plastic. Think about easy-bake oven! Light bulbs can build up a lot of heat over a short period of time in a confined space.

Starrr
2006-02-10, 4:31am
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why do you have to use heat on a propane tank with a regulator? It gets very cold here, and not once have I went out to turn on the propane and it didn't work. I will admit, that if a big snow storm was coming, I used to throw a cardboard box over the regulator, but that practice didn't last very long, I would just forget. To date, I've never had a problem. I also keep my grill outside and always have because I like to cook outside, even in winter, no problem with lighting that either. I will say, that I am pretty anal about using my leak detector solution on my lines whenever I swap out a tank or the weather changes drastically.
Edie

MikeAurelius
2006-02-10, 6:39am
Pressure in a propane tank is directly related to the ambient temperature. The lower the ambient temperature, the lower the pressure in the tank.

Up here in Central Minnesota, we get temperatures in the -10 to -20 degree range (air temperature, wind chill is entirely different and not a factor), and at those temperatures, the tank pressure can fall to under the regulator set pressure, in which case, you either don't work, or you apply heat to the tank to warm it up so you CAN work.