Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Stainless Steel Sheet

Firelilly
2006-02-07, 2:15pm
For those who have clad their worktables with stainless steel sheeting? Where did you find it? And in what width?

The tables where I'm taking classes has strips of stainless sheeting only about a foot wide. I was hoping I could find it in a sheet wide enough to just use one piece to cover the whole table top.

I found this on eBay... http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Stainless-steel-sheet-metal-48x60-26ga-Cheap_W0QQitemZ7587792117 But I was hoping I could find a better price than that. Or is this a pretty good price for the size of the sheet do you think? I really don't have any frame of reference.

Thanks.

Lil

adovbs
2006-02-07, 4:45pm
Last I checked, Home Depot has galvanized steel sheeting, which is what I used, in different sizes, stock. Check there.

hulagirl
2006-02-07, 5:22pm
I have it. We called some local steel place here near Cleveland and got a piece big enough for my whole bench. I don't remember what gauge. I'll have to ask DH. They also finished the edges for me. It's nice. I think that the cost was somewhere around $80.00 for the size that I needed.

aimee
2006-02-07, 5:33pm
I've gotten a couple of different pieces from a local metel place also. They usually have several different size gauges and sometimes will have a scrap pile they will let you look through. We know the people who own the place around here so I don't have to pay for anything and they cut it to size and finished the edges for me.

Lynn Larson
2006-02-07, 5:38pm
My hubby works at a heating and cooling place. That would be a great place to get some.

Firelilly
2006-02-07, 8:33pm
Thanks so much for the info you guys! Much appreciated.

Lil

SuzFromOz
2006-02-08, 12:18am
That price doesnt look too bad to me..stainless is expensive. my husband makes armour for medieval recreationists, and suits in stainless are much dearer than thos ein mild steel. (although its also because it is harder to work with...) try a metal scrap yard - they dont keep regular stock, but if you find a bit the right size, it will be much cheaper!

Firelilly
2006-02-08, 3:35am
Thanks, Suz...I'm going to look through the Yellow Pages today and see what's in the area for heating and cooling and scrap metal places.

Lil

misfit
2006-02-08, 7:43am
I was told years ago when working with weilding that galvanized metal is unsafe for use with high heat because it lets off some sort of fumes when heated. This is not something I know for sure, but think if I were looking at metal for my glass bench I'd find out for sure before I bought any of it. figure better to find out than regret not having found out. after all the chances of it being heated does exsist for us.

A.

Dale M.
2006-02-08, 8:41am
I was told years ago when working with wielding that galvanized metal is unsafe for use with high heat because it lets off some sort of fumes when heated. This is not something I know for sure, but think if I were looking at metal for my glass bench I'd find out for sure before I bought any of it. figure better to find out than regret not having found out. after all the chances of it being heated does exsist for us.

A.

Galvanized metals are actually ZINK coated metals... Zink is a metal the resists rust very well.... What is NOT good about ZINK is it does give off TOXIC gases when it is HEATED to MELTING point.... That is "RED HEAT" or beyond... As for a bench top that only received a small amount of radiant heat from torch its pretty safe. Only danger may be if you actually forced flame onto surface and allowed galvanizing to "burn" to extreme temperatures.

Dale

hulagirl
2006-02-08, 9:05am
Another option you might want to consider is putting ceramic tile on your work surface. It's easy to clean!

Roseanne
2006-02-08, 9:21am
Another option you might want to consider is putting ceramic tile on your work surface. It's easy to clean!

And so easy to do yourself! If I can do it, so can you:)

Firelilly
2006-02-08, 11:12am
Dale and Misfit, thanks so much for that info!

I had thought about tile too, you guys...but I want to bolt a creation station down on the table top. I was thinking it might be difficult to bolt it through tile without a hassle. No?

I suppose I could use a masonary bit or some such. And when I say "I could" I mean my husband can. :lol: Not that I couldn't give it a try myself...but shhhh! :-$

Lil

jhana
2006-02-08, 12:49pm
Look up Industrial Metal Supply or similar title in your phone book. The people out here in Irvine love artists, and practically give you scrap, and cut mine for free.

e. mort
2006-02-08, 1:05pm
Hi Lil,

I am in the same boat right now. I am still looking for a place here in austin that will sell me less than a 4'x8' sheet. They quoted me the same price for 3'x5' or 2'x4' or 4'x8': $160! They said they can't use partial sheets so they charge for the whole sheet. Bummer!

Eric

e. mort
2006-02-08, 1:08pm
Actually, that piece on Ebay is a pretty good price if it will fit your bench. It won't fit mine unfortunately.

Eric

danelady
2006-02-08, 3:16pm
I bought mine at LOWES $48 for a 4 x 8 sheetFor those who have clad their worktables with stainless steel sheeting? Where did you find it? And in what width?

The tables where I'm taking classes has strips of stainless sheeting only about a foot wide. I was hoping I could find it in a sheet wide enough to just use one piece to cover the whole table top.

I found this on eBay... http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Stainless-steel-sheet-metal-48x60-26ga-Cheap_W0QQitemZ7587792117 But I was hoping I could find a better price than that. Or is this a pretty good price for the size of the sheet do you think? I really don't have any frame of reference.

Thanks.

Lil

Firelilly
2006-02-08, 7:50pm
Yikes, Eric! That's a hefty price!

You sure that's stainless you're talking about, Lynnie? That seems lower than anything else I've seen.

I should have a better idea tomorrow of what I can find locally.

Lil

jhana
2006-02-09, 8:45am
Either Metal Supply or AC and Heating people in the yellow pages will have it or could direct you.

Firelilly
2006-02-11, 3:51am
Well, under "Sheet Metal Work" in the Yellow Pages, I found a local guy. I mean like five minutes away local, so that's pretty cool.

He said for $115.00 I can get a 3' x 5' piece of stainless that he'll finish the edges on. By that he means fold the edges under for me all the way around.

But then we went on talking and he said if I bring the table top piece in he can clad the piece for me and it will be fastened on underneath the table top instead of just screwing it down on the surface. Which sounds way cool to me. I'm sure that will be an additional charge but I don't think it'll be a huge amount more. And what the heck, it'll be lasting forever I should think. So I think that's the route I'm going.

Thank you all once again, all who hopped in here and helped me out!

Lil

Jennifer Geldard
2006-02-13, 7:04pm
Here's a seller I have bookmarked:
http://stores.ebay.com/FRIGO-DESIGN_LEFTOVER-MATERIAL_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Firelilly
2006-02-13, 7:20pm
Coolio...Thanks, Jen.

Lil

Blueflameart
2006-02-14, 8:23am
I've always liked the tile idea ... you can find it for free all over the place if you really look for it. Or Home Depot and Lowes have always got a heap of stuff they get rid of for pennies on the dollar if you let em know up front how many and how big. I've got tile on my huge studio desk now and I have under $25 bones invested. GL!

parisgal
2006-02-16, 3:46am
I think I spent about $15 for a piece at my local hardware store... 3' x 4' or maybe a little smaller. I didn't get the ends folded, just set them back a bit. Haven't had a problem. Screwed it into the bench with self tapping screws.