Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Lynx problem - help!

Nat
2006-02-14, 6:30am
I finally got my Lynx connected last week and I am loving every minute of my torch time. :love: Yesterday I noticed there were carbon deposits on the ports, so I turned off the torch, cooled down a bit and cleaned torch face with the brush given by GTT. Today there are more and more carbon deposits.. I had to clean ports after making every TWO beads,because those dang carbon deposits were glowing red! Plus one of the port flame was out of shape because of the carbon built up. What am I doing wrong? Are these carbon deposits damaging the torch (I read somewhere..)?

Thanks in advance,

Natalie

MikeAurelius
2006-02-14, 7:35am
If you are getting carbon buildup on a GTT torch, your oxygen/propane settings are incorrect and you are running a reduction flame.

If you are using a concentrator, you should be running one half the recommended propane setting for this torch to compensate for the lower oxygen concentration that concentrators provide.

If you are using tanked oxygen, turn your oxygen pressure up so that you are running at least twice your propane pressure, and triple wouldn't be a bad idea.

Your flame should never be yellow -- when you light your torch, add oxygen with the green knob until the yellow disappears and the inner cones are just slightly yellow/white at the very tips. Use the top (blue) knob to fine tune the shape of the flame.

Your torch needs a good cleaning with the wires that were provided. Turn both oxygen valves on and have oxygen flowing through the torch while you clean the ports - if necessary, use a small pair of vise grips to hold the wire while you clean the ports.

Also, you may have "dirty" propane - this is not unheard of, and dirty propane can cause all sorts of problems, including carbon buildup on the ports.

Nat
2006-02-14, 4:06pm
Thanks so much Mike. I am running with two concentrators.. I will print out your post and check my set ups again tonight.