Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : photographing pendants????

ajwhite
2006-02-18, 3:43pm
Hi

What is a way to photograph pendants that hang from a bail? I have a light cube and they don't look very good laying down - I need to rig something to hang them from but I'm clueless. Tried two kiln stands with fishing line but they fell down because I'm a physics wizard.

This shouldn't be so hard...:confused:

Thanks for your help!
Audra

JanMD
2006-02-19, 7:56am
Here's a set-up that was used for earrings, but I'm sure you could rig something similar for a pendant: http://www.lapidaryart.com/project_images/prj1017.html

Note that the hanging bar was later erased using Photoshop.

You are right: this shouldn't be so hard! (chuckle)

JanMD

e. mort
2006-02-19, 9:24am
Hi,

I was able to do it with an empty one-gallon milk jug. Cut out the front of the milk jug so you have a place for your camera lens - it needs to be a big enough opening so you can get your hand in there. Ok, now take a piece of fishing line that is big enough to span the interior with a little big of a sag to it. Tie a washer on one end, and a short piece of wire or a finishing nail on the other. Use the wire or finishing nail of the same size to poke a hole at the same point on both sides. (I usually just get it hot with torch and poke the plastic.) OK, now thread the nail and fishing line through the hole on one side, then through the bead, and then trough the other side. The nail should then be used like a toggle so it doesn't pull back through the plastic. The washer on the other end will keep it from pulling through from that side. Let the bead stop swinging and start taking pictures. Hope this helps.

Eric

Eric

e. mort
2006-02-19, 9:25am
You can also use a mandrel that you have painted white, but you will still have to edit it out in photo shop.

Eric

ajwhite
2006-02-19, 4:14pm
The milk jug idea is neat - I think I'll try it - I would like to rig something up in my light tent so I have consistent backdrops so I'll keep working on it. The mandrel idea may work too - maybe I could hang it from a clear stringer or rod? Hmmm...back to the drawing table.

Thanks!
Audra

Thanks for your help!

beadworkstudio
2006-02-19, 8:06pm
I've used a clear glass rod stuck into two blocks of that green florist foam to photograph earrings, like this: