Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Yet another digital camera question

Charlee
2006-02-19, 11:19am
I've researched myself into a state of mortal confusion. I want my camera to do 2 things: take good bead/jewelry pictures and be capable of fairly large prints. Am I asking too much of one camera? I've looked at both the Canon S2-IS and the Sony DSC-H1 and think if I'm going to spend that much, why not spend a bit more and go Digital SLR? Or, spend less and use my old Canon EOS Elan for the prints? The Olympus E-500 looks pretty good. Input, opinions, experience?

parisgal
2006-02-19, 1:17pm
My first thought, on reading the post, is that it's not worth it for you to go digital SLR.

You can do really nice things with just digital, and you get nice short focus distances, important for beads and jewelry. The optics and all are nice enough that it will be user knowledge that will limit the pics more the the tool, for a while. (A while being shooting like we make beads, several hours a day, every day for 6 months)

There's lots more costs in SLR than the basic kit -- the lenses don't focus as close, unless they're macro, and usually the kit lenses don't have macro. The lenses can cost more than the camera body. If you buy a SLR, it is best to pick the lenses first, and then the body that will support those lenses.

Otherwise, both Canon and Sony are good choices. In fact they are both great choices (maybe that's why you're having a hard time deciding ;)) Canon is known for having good optics in digitals, and I have always loved the colors the Sony gets. Since they really are both good choices, I would say the most important thing might be how they feel in you hand -- do they fit? Is it easy to point? I have small hands, my SO has huge hands, so we end up choosing differently. Also Sony uses their memory sticks, while the Canon will use SD or MMC cards, so you could use ones that you have around.

If you want to get the best and biggest pictures from the camera, you'll be better off investing time in shooting in RAW format and using Photoshop correct the images -- basically do all the things that camera usually does for you. However, the setting basic auto settings will work fine. I'd use them until I *saw* something wrong.

If it were me, I'd go with the Sony. I had one before (this camera's ancient precursor), and I loved it. I just loved how it photographed the reds and the pinks. So I'm prejudiced

Honestly, they're really both great cameras, I think you'd be happy with either. Flip a coin, or choose by price, or by non photographic criteria, you'll be fine with either of these two. (And no, I wouldn't say that if I didn't think it)

ocdlampwork
2006-02-19, 8:54pm
I can't be much help in choosing one but I will tell you my experience with the ones I have. I got a Canon A610 for Christmas (hubby didn't want to spend big bucks since the new models were set to be released soon) to replace my 8 yr. old Sony Mavica. I still have a fond attachment to the Mavica because it is so easy to use and each button pretty much explains itself. The Canon on the other hand was a pill to figure out.:mad: I am getting better with it but I still have lots to learn. I just keep thinking to myself "why figure more of this thing out if you're getting another new one soon.":rolleyes: Way to much brain stress for me. LOL!
Anyway, other than the ease of use my huge problem with the Sony was that it made all reds bright ,cherry colored even if they were a deep, dark almost blood color. I rarely sold red beads online for that reason. I didn't like to feel like I was misleading the customer.
Along comes the Canon that takes awesome pics. in red. I'm happy as a clam until I try to take a pic. of some periwinkle beads. Good oldfashioned Moretti periwinkle. Nothing fancy but the Canon turned them turquoise. Uuuggghhh. Here we go again but different color. I did finally get them the correct color but I had to put them on a gray background. Which is why I'm using gray for everything. I like the background to be consistent so they look nice in listings.
What it comes down to is that you will like and dislike anything you get. You can go top of the line but you can also get a $200 or less camera that can do an awesome job for you. Have you tried going into a camera shop and telling them exactly what you need, will spend and want? They should be able to nail it down for you.
Good luck! I would much rather shop for glass.\\:D/

Tracey

IF-Designs
2006-02-19, 9:06pm
Hi Charlee,
First can I ask what kinds of prints are you wanting from your camera and what is the biggest size your going to want and what are their intended purposes? That will make the biggest difference on the camera you choose. Many cameras in the 250-500 range have excellent incredible macro capabilities so you can get that covered for pretty reasonable, however if you want to be able to do very large digital prints for gallerys and manipulations you may want to invest in something a lil more beefy.

You will always come out on the better end with Nikon, the higher end Fuji Film camers S' series, Olympus and most Canons though canons are not quite as intuitive as the others, Sonys are pretty good to but yo uwill want one of the 500-800 dollar models to get really good super large prints and by this I mean over 11X14 photographic print that you dont see the pixels on :)

I can hunt down some more specific models for you later if you like. lol being raised in a photography family all my life I tend to be more geeky about that stuff lol.

parisgal
2006-02-19, 10:15pm
8 yr. old Sony Mavica.

Yes, this is a problem the Sonys have had -- but they have been improving it for the past 8 years, and the Sony DSC-H1 is a top of the line, so better algorithms and sensors than the Mavicas.

I think the best comparison, picture wise, is here
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydsch1/page7.asp
the Sony pics on the right, the Canon on the left.

So given how close these cameras in quality, I'd really try to pick up the two cameras -- stop by Best Buy or something, and see how they feel in your hand, if you can find your way around the menu, change the setting on the camera, etc (good point, Tracey) -- just see what works *for you*.

I had a very clear idea of what I wanted and needed in buying my last camera, and when I got it down to two models, I went and spent a fair amount of time in the store, *using* the camera (I'd even brought my own card, so I could take the pics home and look at them on my computer). You could even bring along your beads (common colors combos) to take photos of.

Laurie L
2006-02-20, 12:37am
Truth be told almost any digi will take awsome pics if you know how to "USE" it. Same goes with SLR. You already have a canon SLR and the lenses will fit on a digi canon so that saves you huge money right there.

Remember the human eye see more colors than your camera will....so metering will make sure the camera picks up the correct colors better, if not perfectly. Get to know Photoshop...its your friend. LOL. If you want large prints the larger the MP - the larger your print size without pixel issues.

You can buy macro filtres that are cheaper than the macro lense. I have them for my Canon SLR and they really work well. I took photos using them that my photography instructor was amazed with. They take great bead shots also.

I love my sony digi and my canon SLR. I am waitng until consumer digi SLRs are at 12 MP and reasonably priced before I upgrade.