Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Icicle Tutorial

Shawn T
2009-11-22, 8:15pm
Just in time for your holiday gift planning here is my tutorial for icicles.
They have been a big hit for me, both in selling venues and for presents.
You know that person you want to give a little something to?
Your kids teacher, the mailman, your hairdresser. Icicles make the perfect gift without breaking the bank.
They are fun and easy to make once you get the hang of them.

These are made of borosilicate glass.
This tutorial has been tested by soft glass workers who have never worked with boro glass before. They had wonderful results working in boro for the first time.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/Shawntur/4iceaE-1.jpg
$7.99

The tutorial is available for purchase through my website. (http://www.setinglass.net/category_11/Tutorials.htm)
Now available on Etsy also :wink:

Hope you enjoy and Happy Holidays!
Shawn

squid
2009-11-22, 8:20pm
you link has two https in it :)

Shawn T
2009-11-22, 8:28pm
Thanks Squid.
I should have checked that.

squid
2009-11-22, 8:30pm
:) They are beautiful!

friskebaer
2009-11-22, 9:56pm
Thanks Shawn! I just purchased one - I can't wait to try it!!!!!
Jenny

Shawn T
2009-11-22, 10:17pm
Thanks Squid.

Thanks Jenny yours is on it's way to you.

I forgot to mention if you don't want to go all the way through the check out on my website. You can also just Paypal the $7.99 to my address on the link provided.
Just make sure you mention it is for the icicle tutorial. :wink:

I will work on a short cut within my shopping cart to fix that.

AcidFly
2009-11-23, 5:29am
Just ordered mine :) this looks like fun :)

thx
AcidFly

Juliac
2009-11-23, 9:14am
What a great idea. Just ordered it- A great solution for some xmas gifts too!!!

Shawn T
2009-11-23, 11:06am
Thank You Acidfly.
Yours and everyone who ordered in the wee hours of the night was sent this morning.

Julia, Thanks the people I have given them to have really enjoyed them. Not to mention they sell well. :wink:

effemess
2009-11-23, 4:12pm
Wooo hoo - just ordered one :)

Shawn T
2009-11-23, 4:37pm
Wooo hoo - just ordered one :)

Thanks it is already on the way to you.

EmbellishYourself
2009-11-24, 12:38pm
Oooh oooh! I just paypal'd you!

Shawn T
2009-11-24, 2:21pm
Thanks Jenny, just sent you the tut.

Sorry I was back at the grocery store AGAIN.
I should count how many trips I make to the grocery store this year.
I love to host Thanksgiving, but the grocery store is not my favorite place.

AcidFly
2009-11-24, 5:29pm
Question might sound dumb lol I'm trying to use bullseye but I don't have the size rod you want us to use.
How do i turn a a 5-6 mm rod into a 10mm rod ? I know i can get the ball end up to size but the shank is to small and I don't get the taper I'm looking for.

Thx
AcidFly

Shawn T
2009-11-24, 7:47pm
Question might sound dumb lol I'm trying to use bullseye but I don't have the size rod you want us to use.
How do i turn a a 5-6 mm rod into a 10mm rod ? I know i can get the ball end up to size but the shank is to small and I don't get the taper I'm looking for.

Thx
AcidFly

I wish I could tell you to put it in a magic box, wave a wand around it and poof your 5mm rod would be a 10mm rod. :lol:

In all reality if you had asked me what I would have done if I wanted to make these in soft glass you're on the right track. As I would have told you to use Bullseye. It is stiffer so will lend itself better to this type of tutorial.
Now back to your rod size problem, the only thing I can think of is to try and double your rod by folding it over.
Heat your rod up about 3 inches down let it fold over on top of itself, so you can double up the size of your rod. Melt it in, and smooth it out. You might need to pull it out a bit so you have a nice even rod.
Now start the tut and see how it works.

Sue H-K
2009-11-24, 7:57pm
They are lovely and I can't wait to try them for myself!

zen-mom
2009-11-26, 11:10am
Hope it's okay to post a pic of the icicles I made following Shawn's tutorial...

The loops are a little off center, but I had an epiphany last night about keeping things on center... hopefully I can give these another go tomorrow :)

Thanks Shawn, I had so much fun playing with the boro yesterday. Your tutorial is clear and easy to follow, nicely done :)

EmbellishYourself
2009-11-27, 3:18pm
zen-mom, those are gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing them. Seeing what other people make with the tutorials is just as fun :)

zen-mom
2009-11-27, 3:20pm
Thanks Jenny! I had fun making them :)

Sue H-K
2009-11-27, 4:33pm
I made some last night and my kids have already snagged them and hung them up in their bedroom windows!

Shawn T
2009-11-27, 5:31pm
Donna, Your icicles came out wonderful!
Keeping your loops on center can be tricky at first if you heat them too much. If you are still having a difficult time with them let me know and I will give you some tips.

Sue, Would love to see some of the ones you made also.
I have had a lot of people tell me they are hanging them in windows. I bet they look beautiful there.

zen-mom
2009-11-27, 5:40pm
Yeah, I think I need to take it little slower between making the loop and the next step. It was lots of fun and I was especially happy to see that the red I used actually was a very nice red, not too dark and it struck mostly in the kiln :) In case anyone is wondering which red it is it's TAG Lt Red Elvis.

BiaggiaBeads
2009-12-03, 4:48pm
Those turned out pretty Donna!

Here's a couple I've made...and I can not STOP making them! Love this tut Shawn!

Juliac
2009-12-17, 10:44am
I'm having fun with these, but what do I anneal them at?

josielv
2009-12-17, 11:39am
wow janie!!!!!!!!
I got the tutorial and I am waiting to get my peter's tweezers from frantz and the I can try it!!!!!!!!!

josielv
2009-12-17, 11:40am
donna, those are great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn T
2009-12-17, 3:11pm
I'm having fun with these, but what do I anneal them at?

Julia,

I anneal them with my regular boro annealing schedule.
I use currently use one I got from Brent.
Here it is for anyone who needs a boro annealing schedule.

Ramp up to 1075- Hold and garage at this temp.
When finished for the day hold for at least an hour an soak at 1075, longer for thicker pendants or larger pieces.
Ramp down to 950 at 60 degrees per hour.
Hold at 950 (near strain point) for about 30 minutes.
Then I turn and let the kiln cool on it's own.

*Note* I do have a Glasshive kiln that holds the heat well. So if I let it cool down from 950 it takes hours to reach room temp. I have woken up the next morning to find my kiln still at 400 degrees. :lol:

The above schedule works well for the amber purple colors and striking colors that strike to purple and pinks. If you are working with rubies you will want your first soak at a lower temp or your reds will become livery looking.

Some colors do like to be kiln stuck at a much higher temp, as high at 1175. I don't usually kiln strike anything, I do flame strike many colors.
I have left the same set of beads or pendant and ran kiln 3 or 4 times. Getting beautiful results from some beads that didn't strike in the flame. Of course I ran my kiln while working on new pieces. :wink:

Janie, those are Beautiful!
Josie, try them with the shepherds hook, you can make them without any tools.
I have to make more tonight as I think I only have about 5 left. I sold so many this year I lost count. I still have the teachers gifts to go.

pittypat
2009-12-17, 8:10pm
Well, I don't know how I missed this one, but I can't wait!! Thanks, Shawn...
Pat

Juliac
2009-12-18, 7:59am
Thanks Shawn!

s38hyler
2010-01-01, 8:56pm
Wonderful looking icicles, I would love to make some for my tree next year. I will have to get my bigger torch going and then get this tut. My wish list keeps getting longer and longer
Sandra

mnoelker
2010-10-22, 4:51pm
Bumping this up in time for the holidays! Just ordered and can't wait to play.

framerak
2010-10-26, 12:09pm
I got Shawn's tutorial last year and really enjoyed it. Very well put together and you can get great results in a short amount of time. I gave some of the icicles I made to neighbors as gifts and they loved them. Already making more for this year!

Shawn T
2010-10-26, 1:33pm
Thanks for the great review Angela.

They are a fun thing to make at the holiday time. I sell a ton of them but I give a lot of them away to friends and family also.
The great thing about giving them away is I just got a order yesterday for 20 of them to someone I gave one to last year as a gift. You can't buy that kind of product placement with the small amount of cost and time involved.

Bobbo
2010-10-29, 4:28pm
Hi

I bought this tutorial earlier this week and finally had a chance to play tonight.

Thanks to the very clear instructions and accompanying photos my first attempts are not bad all things considered, although my very first one is going into my personal glass chamber of horrors :eek: .I will try to post some pix over the weekend

This is a small but perfectly formed tutorial and a bargain to boot.

Thanks Shawn.

Rob.

p.s. if you don't mind me asking, how much do you charge for your icicles?

Shawn T
2010-11-02, 5:04pm
Rob,
Glad you have enjoyed the tutorial and hope you have had good results with the icicles after the first one. You did make me :lol: as I also have my own personal glass horrors, I think we all have.
Most of the time I water anneal mine.

Sorry I missed the P.S. part of your post.
I do change the price I charge depending on what kind of venue I am at. I understand this might sound odd to some, but think of it like this. If I am at a gallery type show or upper end show I sell them at higher price then I do if I have set up a table for a few hour during the holiday at my kids school for the teachers.
So with that said, I sell them between 8.00-12.00 each.
Know your market and you should do well. :wink:

mnoelker
2010-11-13, 12:21pm
Hey Shawn-I need to take pics but I am getting a nice pile of icicles together for my next show. Thanks so much for all the help!

Shawn T
2010-11-16, 9:31pm
Mary, I am glad I could help and I can't wait to see the icicles you have made. I hope they sell well at your upcoming shows.

I have been very busy making them also.
So far in the last week I have taken orders for 100 of them. I told a friend yesterday she couldn't place an order until these were finished and shipped. My brain can't function if I get so far behind I can see my own butt. :badgrin:

mnoelker
2010-11-17, 6:53pm
That's awesome!!! Mind if ask how you ship them? I found out how fragile they are when I accidently bumped some off my dresser.:( I am having a blast making them.

Shawn T
2010-11-17, 8:10pm
I wrap them in bubble wrap or tissue paper and put them in a pen box for shipping.
The shorter ones fit my bracelet boxes I have for my shows.

Yes, they can be fragile especially the tips of them. I have learned to not pull the tips out to a sharp point. If you do, go back and melt them down a bit. If you do this make sure and roll the icicle on your maver about half way down to the tip so you have a nice smooth even tip and it doesn't go sideways on you.
Just a tip :wink:

mnoelker
2010-11-18, 4:38pm
Thanks! I'm heading to a show with a bunch tomorrow and want to pack them extra safely. I got an inexpensive tree from Big Lots for my booth so I'll take a pic and load it here next week.

Carols Glass
2010-11-22, 2:09pm
I just ordered mine on etsy. I have been wanting this tutorial since last year and now is the perfect time to get it. I want to make lots of them for Christmas gifts this year.

This is my reward for getting a couple of sales this month!

Carols Glass
2010-11-22, 6:46pm
Thanks for the speedy delivery, the tutorial looks great and I am excited to make some soon!

Shawn T
2010-11-22, 8:59pm
Thank you Carol!
Congrats on your sales this month.
Glad I could get it to you so quickly, especially since I was out of town and traveling today. Hope you have a great time making icicles. If you have any problems, just shoot me an e-mail I"ll be happy to help you.

Carols Glass
2010-11-23, 2:16pm
Thanks so much!

Carols Glass
2010-12-21, 7:40pm
I got to make some of these icicles today, LOTS actually!

Your instructions made making these so easy, I really enjoyed working with boro more than I used to, thank you so much.

I also appreciate you sharing your annealing schedule. :-)

Shawn T
2010-12-22, 11:00am
Carol,
I am so glad you enjoyed the tutorial and even more that you enjoyed working with boro.
Icicle can be very addictive :wink: good thing others seem to like them also or my tree would have been taken over by now.
Happy Holidays to you and yours,
Shawn

loribeads
2010-12-22, 11:37am
It's not too late to get those icicles made and on the tree! I have a tree full of them this year and I thank Shawn once again for sharing her techniques with me! I love how they sparkle in the twinkle lights!!!

Carols Glass
2010-12-23, 3:37pm
I've been downstairs in the dungeon making these icicles for days now!

I just take coffee breaks.

Lori, I agree with that! These icicles really reflect light and I can't wait till I can fill my Christmas tree up with them.

Nitadee
2011-01-07, 10:33am
I am getting a jump start on next year :)
Just ordered your tutorial Shawn, and can't wait to go out and play!!
Hugs and Happy New Year!
:love:
Nita

Julabula
2011-10-22, 12:57pm
Woot! I was hoping you still had your tutorial for sale, I need one. Time to try my hand at icicles! Off to get mine now (late to the game per usual). LOL

loco
2011-11-11, 1:22pm
Shawn, Will you Secret Santa your tutorial if I buy one for someone else?

Shawn T
2011-11-11, 2:49pm
Yes, I will be happy to do that.

Cherry
2011-11-12, 3:01am
Hi Shawn, could secret santa do a downunder delivery please? Or have you sold out??It's pretty warm here at Christmas but dont think those icicles will melt!
many thanks
Cherry
tasmania

Shawn T
2011-11-12, 10:09am
I'm so sorry Cherry didn't realize I sold out last night. I just restocked on Etsy and will update the ones on my website also.
Our temps were in the 70's all week last week and mine have yet to melt. :grin:
Have a great day!
Shawn

zen-mom
2011-11-22, 10:40pm
I'm gonna make some more of these tomorrow! I have a clean studio and lots more boro than I had the last time made these...

And, the very reason why I have a folder in my email specifically for tutorials that are emailed... my old laptop took a dive earlier this year but my email folder still has my icicle tutorial! Yay!!

zen-mom
2011-11-23, 10:32pm
Woooo hooooo! I made icicles today!!! And... they are way better than the ones I made a couple years ago... wooot! :D

Pics tomorrow.

Shawn T
2011-11-28, 11:11am
Donna, Sorry I am just now seeing this I have been in Florida for the holiday. Along the way I dropped off another 100 icicles, good thing these wont melt. :grin:

Can't wait to see your new icicles this year.
Happy Holidays,
Shawn

zen-mom
2011-11-28, 4:23pm
No worries! All my icicles wound up in AZ over the weekend!

I'll have to make more now! =)