Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : propane vs gas in new studio safety & more

meadowesky
2006-02-21, 5:38pm
Hi all!

Well we close the house on Friday and here are some more of my endless questions!:biggrin:
There is currently a gas line in the laundry room (will be studio) Can I use that? I am assuming that I will need a line regulator?

There is a dryer vent 6" leading to the side of the house. If I put a fan that blows in to the house in that hole then put a box fan in front of my torch in the 74" wide window will that be enough ventilation?

Which do you prefer for safety? Propane or natural gas?
Thanks!

MikeAurelius
2006-02-22, 7:44am
You "can" use the gas line, however, it will be at the household pressure, which is 1/3 to 1/2 PSI, adequate for a couple of oxygen/propane/natural gas torches, but totally inadequate for others.

Absolutely NOT on the vent. 6" is rarely enough diameter to provide fresh air, not to mention that fact that it's been used for exhausting the dryer and probably is contaminated with dust and lint. Do you really want all that stuff flying back into your house?

You need a hood of some kind to trap the fumes, and a fan to move them out the window through a duct. Simply putting a fan in a window does not make good ventilation. You probably won't be removing enough air from the torch area, and unless you totally block the surrounding area around the fan, you will get blowback from the screen -or- if the wind/breeze happens to be in the right direction, you will get blow back from that.

meadowesky
2006-02-22, 10:46am
will the gas line work on my minor? And I will look into additional ventilation options

MikeAurelius
2006-02-22, 10:49am
Yep, it will work on a minor - you won't have full torch capability, but it will work just fine.