Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : What is the best material to use on a table top??

Feldt's Glass
2006-02-26, 1:35am
I am fairly new to lampworking and just getting things together to set up a new studio in my home. What would be the best thing to use for the tabletop. I checked a few home improvement places and they all looked at me like I was crazy for even thinking of such a thing. The other thing was how far from the wall should the torch be? I have pritty much decide on getting a Lynx. Thanks in advance.

Rebekah
2006-02-26, 5:44am
For your tabletop, any stone surface would be great! I've seen people use tiles from Home Depot. A large piece of stainless steel would also be fantastic under your torch area.

It's really up to you as long as it's not flammable.

Rebekah

Doolollies
2006-02-26, 8:09am
Yeppie... tiles work great. I got the big stone type floor tiles at the hardware for a couple dollars each. Get something dark though. I think your flame and some things on the table are easier to see with the dark surface. As for your torch table wall distance if you are going to have your kiln on table top that should be at least a foot or more from the walls so that should suffice for your torch too. I have 2 kilns... one says 12 inches and the other one says 18 inches from walls so I would plan ahead on plenty of space depending on your kiln type. You can also back your torch wall with some cement board. I only occasionally do a dragon flame for reducing and 18 inches is where I am. So far so good. Have fun.
Linda

glasswinder
2006-02-27, 10:47am
I use stainless under my torch...the bigger the better in my opinion. I'd just love to have my whote table top be stainless!! I have a fairly large table and am 34 inches from the wall so I have room to store glass within an arms reach away. Have fun setting up your new area...that's ALMOST as much fun as making the beads!!! It opens up a whole new "buying opportunity".