Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Is it true that non sculptural butterfly beads

chrisann
2010-01-30, 4:51pm
Are wanted now instead of sculptural because of breakage? If so was there an announcement made somewhere and I just missed it?
chrisann

LoriGreenberg
2010-01-30, 10:42pm
There has not been an announcement that I am aware of. However, non-sculptural are more durable that some of the thin-winged butterflies have flown through the office.

I saw some of the butterflies with really really super thin wings a couple years ago and a handful were too delicate. I'm talking REALLY thin.

If you can do durable sculptural, do it!

If there is a question as to whether you think yours (or others you see) are durable enough, post a picture and let us see! Or even send a sample to headquarters with your question and they'll let you know.

That's more than you asked but I thought I'd throw it out there for others who might wonder about the butterfly beads. While all of the beads are special, this one is EXTRA special!

pierces*designs
2010-01-31, 7:04am
These are the kind I make. The hole runs horizontally. They are very durable.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pegz
2010-01-31, 8:33am
Oh Debbie, those are terrific, I am loving those!!!

RSimmons
2010-01-31, 9:36am
There has not been any kind of 'official' announcement concerning sculptural vs. non-sculptural butterflies. We have discussed the fact that many of the very delicate butterflies, while beautiful, tend to be a bit on the delicate side for regular wear. I personally have shifted from sculptural (I made lots of those) to murrini or copper/enamel styles as I feel that these tend to be more durable and I enjoy making them. Sculptural butterflies are still perfectly acceptable, but we do ask that you try to be sure that they are strong enough to handle regular wear (Debbie Pierces' look fine).

Robert

LoriGreenberg
2010-01-31, 11:21am
Wow Debbie! Thanks for taking the time to make those sweet butterflies. Those are perfect!

pierces*designs
2010-01-31, 11:26am
Lori, that was the first batch, I have a bunch more I made before Christmas, but my brain got hung up on the wire-wrapping thing. After reading today that vertical is better than horizontal I decided to go ahead and buy the zoozii's flutterby vertical press.

LoriGreenberg
2010-01-31, 11:30am
I'm going to get one of those too Debbie. I think then I'll add more around the wings to make them bigger. It's an idea anyway. :)

NLC Beads
2010-01-31, 12:51pm
I've asked Jean to check mine when they arrived, and she approved them. I make sure the wings are VERY firmly attached to the body, and I feel the wispy colors still make them look delicate and etheral, which I enjoy. They're wire-wrapped into pendants before they leave here.

pierces*designs
2010-01-31, 12:59pm
Nikki I love yours!!

NLC Beads
2010-01-31, 1:03pm
Thanks, Debbie. I like the bright colors and textures of yours, too - I always fondle beads when I wear them so the bumps and ridges are great.

LoriGreenberg
2010-01-31, 2:00pm
Yep. Nikki, yours are a good example of *looking* delicate but being sturdy and wearable. I love your butterflies and dedication to Beads of Courage!

NLC Beads
2010-01-31, 2:51pm
Thanks, Lori. :love: I have a bunch here that'll be heading out next week when I ship - my New Year's Resolution of at least 1 butterfly per torch session is filling my box of them nicely. :)

RSimmons
2010-01-31, 6:08pm
Nikki's one of our heroes, for sure.

Robert

artwhim
2010-02-01, 8:07am
I make mine in boro and try to put a lot of extra heat on the backside where the wings meet the body. I wouldn't want to go this thin in soft glass for several reasons. Admittedly though, I tend to make them too big if people are going to wear them and need to scale down the size of future batches.

RSimmons
2010-02-01, 8:47am
Those are beautiful butterflies. Boro is definitely preferable for the sculptural models and it looks like you've got it down. Strength is important here - you only need to hear once from a parent after a butterfly breaks and you'll clearly understand how important this is.

Robert

pierces*designs
2010-02-01, 10:56am
I make mine in boro and try to put a lot of extra heat on the backside where the wings meet the body. I wouldn't want to go this thin in soft glass for several reasons. Admittedly though, I tend to make them too big if people are going to wear them and need to scale down the size of future batches.

Kathy, those are so beautiful!

BeadBlossoms
2010-02-01, 11:25am
Niki, do mind if I ask how you make your butterflies? Do you attach blobs on the side and pull them with a tool such as a petal puller? I'd love to try it.

NLC Beads
2010-02-01, 7:36pm
I want to make a photo tutorial of it for anyone interested, but I make a thin barrel, then add a stripe for each wing and melt in in thoroughly. Not quite blobs, it's a wing shape as I add it, then melt it in so there's no lines where the glass meets, squeeze each wing twice with pliers, add glass to the tips, melt it in again on the tips only, then pull the tips out for the points. Crazy obsessive insurance heat throughout, and a good flash in the flame before going into the kiln. And I try to wiggle the wings when they come out, if they don't feel sturdy they don't get sent in. Most of the ones I showed are 96 coe veiled cane - I don't know if that makes a difference? Thanks for asking, I'll try to get pictures soon.

Gorgeous boro butterflies, too!!! :)

pegz
2010-02-02, 4:32am
Nikki and Kathy wow those are awesome!!!

I am going to do what Debbie & Nikki do, start each session with a butterfly, I freak a little when attempting them because they are soooooo special. But they are too important to just give up trying. Thanks for sharing all the tip, tricks and ideas, it's so helpful! :love:

chrisann
2010-02-03, 6:16pm
Kathy,
That is kinda the style that I wanted to make mine in boro that is why I asked to begin with as I had heard something about non sculptural being preferred. I am going to go ahead and start making some then. I have to say your butterflies are really stunning I love them. I love Nikki's as well but not enough to break out the soft glass:poke::hide:LOL. Anyway thanks for all the responses.
chrisann

pierces*designs
2010-02-05, 7:34am
I got my Zoozii's vertical hole butterfly press yesterday! I can't wait to use it to make butterflies for BOC.

rosebud101
2010-02-05, 8:25pm
I make several different kinds of butterflies. I hope that these are acceptable.193096
I couldn't find the image I wanted, but this will have to do.

patienthand
2010-02-06, 5:49pm
I am so rusty at butterflies.... I have a few in the kiln tonight, not all of em are up to snuff to send because they are FUGLY.... but I am on aBOC binge for the comming week. We have a rep from the hospital comming to our guild, which sponsors a hospital, next weekend. I want to make sure there are LOTS of beads for her to see from our guild members.

But I got a couple west high;land terrier dog beads in the kiln that are good.... gonna be a fun week.

Candice

Florida Glass Dragons

artwhim
2010-02-12, 7:06pm
Gosh, thanks everyone! I love to see all the different styles, everyone is doing such a great job!

Chrisann, when I first started making them this way, I had a problem with wings coming off. Both the edge of the wing, and body need a lot of heat to get a good join. One trick I learned, as I apply the wing, I try to slide it upward on the body so it gets a better join. Then on the back of the wing, I try to fully fuse the two parts. The full fuse on the back really adds a lot of strength. Would love to see yours too!

Candice, I know fugly! Been there, made that! Sometimes I hope they will morph into beautiful while in the kiln.

PattyK
2010-02-14, 2:30pm
I just came across this butterfly tutorial from Sharon Peters in the Gallery. These look both beautiful and sturdy. :)

I'm going to give these a try when I get a chance.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kathy your butterflies are stunning!