Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Your bead on the Space Shuttle?

LoriGreenberg
2010-03-15, 11:49am
Whaddya think? Would you like your bead to travel on the space shuttle? Yes, THE space shuttle. When it returned maybe it could even be given to a Beads of Courage kid?

Stay tuned to find out how!

rosebud101
2010-03-15, 1:46pm
That sounds like fun! Tell us! Tell us!

theglasszone
2010-03-15, 3:22pm
Oh my! I'd love my bead to fly into space!!! I've got these ready to go.... :lol: :

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'd probably make newer versions - less delicate for sure - so they'd be a lasting treasure for a recipient!

I'm book-marking this thread!

De

patienthand
2010-03-15, 4:53pm
ohhhhhh, I am IN... I am a shuttle freak, and had a laser go up on the second shuttle that I had worked on. So.. spill the juicy details....

Candice

IF-Designs
2010-03-15, 5:00pm
That would be so cool!

Fran
2010-03-15, 5:35pm
I've been interested in space since I watched the moon landing when I was ahem. . . 6! De, I love your UFO and Robbie the Robot beads. You did an awesome job!

LoriGreenberg
2010-03-15, 5:53pm
Ok, here we go! It's a fundraiser/contest for Beads of Courage and even if your bead doesn't make it, it will provide lots of good mojo elsewhere!

Here is the pdf application and details. Please feel free to spread the word to all of the glass beadmakers you know! I'll be putting the form up on the site and blog soon too.

Beads of Courage - Beads in Space (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.)

We're alotted about 8 oz of beads. Based on the size requested for the contest, that comes out to about 35 beads. But, if we get smaller or more lightweight beads, more will be included!

rosebud101
2010-03-15, 6:23pm
Wooohoooo! That sounds fun. I'm going to work on this tomorrow!

NLC Beads
2010-03-15, 6:23pm
I am SO in. :)

rosebud101
2010-03-15, 6:24pm
Cool, Nikki! This is going to be fun!

2kids&atorch
2010-03-15, 6:33pm
What a great way to raise money and do something AWESOME for the kids! I'm halfway to my torch as I type...

PittsGlass
2010-03-15, 6:57pm
What a treat for a planetary bead to take the Big Ride, and make a courageous kid smile all in one! This one has me picking up a mandrel!

beadsoncypress
2010-03-15, 7:16pm
Wow...how neat is that!

LoriGreenberg
2010-03-18, 10:24am
De, those beads are so cute!!! Love them!

Just a note here too...if anyone has any 'experiment' beads that you don't think would sell or see light outside the studio, while you're working up your winning bead, feel free to send those on as extras to give to the kids.

I can't wait to see what else you come up with. Try not to show them here until after the jurying though! It will be a fun surprise.

NLC Beads
2010-03-18, 10:25am
Also, spring's a great time to clean your studio and send beads to BoC... ;) Every bead is used and has a home - clean, annealed, and sturdy are the best!

cgbeads
2010-03-18, 8:50pm
What a fabulous way to bring awareness to the program. Have you thought about contacting some of the networks? This would be a great human interest story.

-D

LoriGreenberg
2010-03-18, 9:51pm
I've indicated that we need to get some big publicity on this!!! We're having our yearly board meeting this weekend along with a big fundraiser so I'm sure we'll touch on that. I'm hoping that NASA has some publicity working too!

Robinj
2010-03-18, 10:11pm
Does anyone have any "famous" connections? A recognizable name can open a lot of doors.

My sister and I are involved in a group doing a Gilda's Club benefit and the Chairman is Dave Coulier's niece. He's promoted it on his website and Facebook, they covered in on TMZ, he did radio and news interviews, etc. Last year was our first year and we sold out our venue and raised over $50k.

lunamoonshadow
2010-03-28, 10:49am
I am SO in. :)

oooh, Nikki, are you sending an alien so it can be a translator if they meet any extraterrestrials??? ;)

NLC Beads
2010-03-28, 5:50pm
If I can figure out a sturdy enough one, yes - figuring a round one with antennae melted in more. :)

Mustang Dawn
2010-03-29, 6:42am
Does anyone have any "famous" connections? A recognizable name can open a lot of doors.

My sister and I are involved in a group doing a Gilda's Club benefit and the Chairman is Dave Coulier's niece. He's promoted it on his website and Facebook, they covered in on TMZ, he did radio and news interviews, etc. Last year was our first year and we sold out our venue and raised over $50k.

My Brother in Law (Tony Ceccacci) is Flight Director for NASA and I think that might even be his flight, were so proud of him :) I'm so sad to see the flights coming to an end, with the planned Space Shuttle retirement later this year, that we will depend solely on non-USA spacecraft for the trip to and return of US crewmembers from the ISS.

If you need any thing just ask, I'll see what I can do. I think this idea ROCKS!! What a wonderful way to bring attention to BOC :)

Dawn

theglasszone
2010-03-31, 11:27am
Working on some ideas/beads next; it's gonna be hard not to show 'em here! :lol: Hope you're getting a good response! :)

Dawn....how cool that your brother is a NASA guy! I've always dreamed of working in aerospace - but I never had the numbers savvy so this is probably as close as I'll ever get! :roll:

De

theglasszone
2010-03-31, 10:14pm
ACK! I can't stop thinking about this project! :lol: I'm so full of ideas and excitement!!! :)

Does anyone know if this is getting some publicity? It sure would be fun, as Donna, Robin - and you Lori - mentioned to get this on TV or elsewhere!

I'm gonna go check your blog! And I just figured out how to link it onto my Facebook!!! :)

De

theglasszone
2010-04-07, 5:05pm
Shipped my Beads today Lori! :) They're heading over Priority Mail...should be there in plenty of time!

Thanks for this special opportunity which benefits so many! Best of luck to all entries!

De

NLC Beads
2010-04-07, 5:20pm
Mine are shipping tonight. :)

LoriGreenberg
2010-04-08, 9:13am
Yay! So far, every single package I have received has included some pretty spectacular beads. This is so fun and I can't wait to show you all of the entries!

theglasszone
2010-04-08, 3:04pm
:) Lori...I can't WAIT to see 'em!

De

LouiseI
2010-04-09, 3:52am
Mine went out last week - I'm desperate to see what folks are sending in - the space theme lends itself to so many fun ideas!

theglasszone
2010-04-09, 10:14am
I agree Louise! :lol: Judging from the interest I see in this program on the BoC Blog, it looks like there will be lots of entries and participants! :)

Lori...I know the deadline is the 12th of April and judging (I think?) is on the 14th; any idea when you'll post both the winning entries and photos? :biggrin:

De

tikiterri
2010-04-10, 10:20am
Mine are on their way. I sent them overnight express yesterday.
Terri

LoriGreenberg
2010-04-10, 11:34am
Hi De.

I think I have in the paperwork that winners will be announced on the 15th? Some pictures then too. After winners are announced, y'all are free to post your own pictures too if you want, and if you have them!

LouiseI
2010-04-11, 3:01am
WoooEEEEHH Countdown!!! Bet we'll all be holding our breath until Thursday! What's that they say?.... TEN.... NINE...

theglasszone
2010-04-11, 11:11pm
EIGHT, SEVEN, SIX, FIVE.... (lol)

Jayne
2010-04-12, 5:15am
Four, three...

theglasszone
2010-04-12, 9:45am
:) Very excited...I was hearing on the news yesterday about how the Space Station Crew did several space walks over the last several days to change out something (can't remember what it was) and it's really remarkable how courageous these astronauts are! Surely when these beads make it into space and back, it will give the recipients a wonderful boost!

Four days and counting...

De

tikiterri
2010-04-12, 1:34pm
Two.................

theglasszone
2010-04-13, 10:01am
ONE........!!! :)

tikiterri
2010-04-13, 12:38pm
I don't know about the rest of you but I feel like a kid waiting on christmas day to arrive. De, I can't wait to see the photos of the kids with their big smiles. What a boost it will be for them.
Terri

theglasszone
2010-04-13, 2:05pm
I don't know about the rest of you but I feel like a kid waiting on christmas day to arrive. De, I can't wait to see the photos of the kids with their big smiles. What a boost it will be for them.
Terri

Oh, Terri...I SO right there with you! Did you keep pictures of the beads you sent in? I sure hope so! I can hardly stand waiting to post photos of my submissions, win or lose! I had lots of fun making them...and learned a few things along the way!

Best of luck to all entries...
De

LoriGreenberg
2010-04-13, 4:29pm
Ok, y'all. I just got done photographing all of the beads and putting them into a document for the judges. Tick tock, tick tock. Soon you will know.

I honestly think they're ALL great and kids would/will love every single one of them! There were only 54 beads entered from 16 different people. I think that's wonderful for the short notice we had to pull it together!

Edit: There were 24 artists.... Some submitted three, some submitted mulitple batches of three!

rosebud101
2010-04-13, 7:23pm
The great thing, Lori, is that it doesn't matter if your bead is selected or not, the kids are the real winners! And that's the way it should be!

tikiterri
2010-04-13, 9:46pm
De I took some pictures but not very good ones. They are good enough for my scrap book. I'm sure Lori took better pictures. I was down to the wire getting mine in the mail friday. I had lots more to send but not enough time to clean them.

theglasszone
2010-04-13, 11:08pm
I'm sure Terri they will be wonderful! Thanks Lori for letting us play! I'm so certain the children will love them and will be thrilled!!!

beaderjean
2010-04-14, 2:55am
I can't wait to see the pix!
I really wanted to enter this one but was just too darn busy with shows and other things.
I hope they do this one again!

LouiseI
2010-04-14, 3:26am
Terri, yes I agree -- like waiting for Christmas morning lol, it's going to be so much fun seeing what everyone has sent in.

I can't help but think these beads will be huge hit with the kids too because it's such a fun topic -- and something that both boys and girls can enjoy.

theglasszone
2010-04-15, 7:38am
Tee hee hee....lurking!

De

LouiseI
2010-04-15, 10:52am
Ack! with such low only 16 entries I'm really wondering if mine even got there in time for the deadline - Canada Post is not known for it's speedy efficient service :S

LoriGreenberg
2010-04-15, 12:48pm
Are you ready?

There ended up being more than 16...I mis counted. sheesh.

Yours got here Louise...

theglasszone
2010-04-15, 12:59pm
Oh, the anticipation....!!! :)

De

LoriGreenberg
2010-04-15, 1:01pm
Can I just say, I was feeling really glad that I wasn't a judge because I really could have picked them all. I'm not just saying that. I thought I dodged that bullet. But then I felt the same dilemma when I tabulated the juror's scores. As I placed each bead with the highest score onto the scale, it approached 8 oz. (our limit) and I kept wishing for the beads to get smaller and smaller so more could fit.

So, without blabbing any more, here are the bead artists that will have beads blasting into space on the May 14th shuttle:

Terri Fout (1)
Louise Ingram (3)
Kris Schaible (1)
Diana Rast (1)
Marcy Lamberson (4)
Judy Carlson (1)
Lauren Mazursky (1)
Rocio Bearer (4)
Katy Abbott (1)

THANK YOU to everyone that entered and to everyone who chatted it up for us. It is so hard to not be able to send them all but I do believe that the kids will love ALL of the beads that were entered!

In the coming days I will be blogging at the BOC blog and showing pictures, as well as some other fun things with the bead pictures. Feel free to show images of your our entries now!

LoriGreenberg
2010-04-15, 1:02pm
Also, you see that some artists have more than one...which, normally I would say NO FAIR! and try to include one from everyone.

Please remember that one of our mottos at Beads of Courage is KIDS FIRST. Those artists had beads that the jurors felt the kids would really connect with but they were all spectacular!

EmbellishYourself
2010-04-15, 1:05pm
Congrats everyone!!! I can't wait to see pictures!

theglasszone
2010-04-15, 1:10pm
Congrats all!

De

NLC Beads
2010-04-15, 1:11pm
Awesome! Congrats to all the artists who'll be blasting off! :)

theglasszone
2010-04-15, 1:14pm
Just 'cuz...I'd like to show my entries! Mine weren't picked to go on the Shuttle but I'm sure they will go to loving homes. Thanks again Lori for the fun experience!

Hugs,
De

rosebud101
2010-04-15, 1:25pm
Congratulations to the winners! The kids are the true winners!

Kris Schaible
2010-04-15, 1:27pm
Super news for all the kids involved... Congrats to everyone that will be blasting into space, well their beads anyhow.... How cool was this "contest"....

Jayne
2010-04-15, 1:38pm
Super congrats to everyone! De, love your beadies!

macsynchro
2010-04-15, 2:02pm
I was so excited to see the email that one of my bead were picked... don't know which one but here were my entries..
We Come in Peace
Let the invasion Begin
Blast Off

macsynchro
2010-04-15, 2:06pm
DeAnne your beads are incredible!

jujeebeads
2010-04-15, 2:14pm
YAY! I am so excited my little "space frog" is on the flight! then after that, an even more important mission to make a child smile.

Congrats to all the other flight buddies....and thanks to everyone who participated!

Judy :)

Buzz, the Space Frog

Kris Schaible
2010-04-15, 2:20pm
Diana and De your beads are so cute!!! Looking forward to seeing all of the beads...Judy we were posting at the same time... your rocket frog is way cute...

theglasszone
2010-04-15, 2:42pm
Thanks Jayne, Diana and Kris! Judy, your Space Froggie is adorable! And Diana...all of yours are great - I especially love the little "Lost in Space" type ship! :)

The kids are gonna be SO EXCITED! Yay!!!

De

tikiterri
2010-04-15, 2:56pm
Yippie!!! Wow great looking beads everyone and congrats to the winners. I can't wait to see all the photos. Thanks for this opportunity and for such a great program for the kids.
Terri

LouiseI
2010-04-15, 3:28pm
WOOOHOOOO!!!!! Did you hear me scream all the way from Ontario??? :D

I AM SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!
Space Monkeys are heading into orbit! (Which I NEVER in my wildest dreams dreamed would happen when I started making them a couple of years ago) -- hehe, think my head's already up there!

Congrats to everyone -- and yes, the children are going to enjoy ALL the beads I'm sure!

Here's mine -

I have to run, but will be back to check everyone's beads :) , hehe I LOVE the frog on the rocket!!

beadgirl
2010-04-15, 3:41pm
Congratulations to everyone! great job

macsynchro
2010-04-15, 3:46pm
Wow Judy! I love yours! Louise those are so funny. Congrats to everyone!

theglasszone
2010-04-15, 3:55pm
Louise...yours are the cutest monkeys EVER!

I'm so happy for you...

jujeebeads
2010-04-15, 4:21pm
Thanks everyone! I have been wanting to make some sort of "space" frog for a while...my husband works with rockets. But this opportunity is what really sparked the inspiration!

DeAnne, I love your murrini space beads and Louise, LOVE :kiss: the monkeys!!

Judy :)

PaulaNC
2010-04-15, 5:36pm
Congrats to ALL, especially to all kids who will be receiving the space beads!

PaulaP
2010-04-15, 5:55pm
Geat job everyone.

LouiseI
2010-04-16, 3:40am
Thank you for the nice comments about my monkeys -- Banana research has just become a big part of the next Shuttle mission :lol:

De Anne those are amazing - I bet whoever gets them will be thrilled, I know I'd want to keep turning them round and round.

Diana all three are fun - I wonder when you find out which one got picked, or maybe you already did - my money is on the alien because he makes me smile but I could be totally wrong!

Judy you got so much detail in there, that little frog is in for the ride of his (or her!) life!! :D

More! We want to see More!

macsynchro
2010-04-16, 5:44am
Nope still don't know which one... I was thinking the Alien too... who knows at this point.

Thanks everyone... it was great news.

LoriGreenberg
2010-04-16, 7:36am
It's the Alien! But the others are cool too!

maybeads
2010-04-16, 8:54am
still can't believe one of my beads made the cut. Wow! Especially after seeing all the other beads here.

Louise - Congrats on your monkeys taking flight! To me, those were a no-brainer - they're awesome!

Diane - Love them all, and the alien rocks!

DeAnne - OMGosh - is that rocketship murrini? That is unbelievably cool!

Judy - the frog is adorable!

I don't know which of my beads is taking flight, but I'll guess it's the dog? I was inspired by Gromit from Wallace and Gromit's Grand Day Out (funny movie) and Louise's space monkeys. :)

I201289

LoriGreenberg
2010-04-16, 9:51am
It is the dog!

macsynchro
2010-04-16, 10:05am
Thanks Lori! It was great new to share with my hubby who is currently in Afghanistan. Took my mind off of being concerned about him for just a bit.

maybeads those are adorable!

LouiseI
2010-04-16, 10:08am
AH! Lauren!! I never even thought of Wallace and Gromit!! That is brilliant, hehe omg I love his spacesuit! :D

maybeads
2010-04-16, 10:14am
Thanks Diana and Louise! I think he bought his headgear where your monkeys get theirs. :D

And thank you, Lori, for letting me know which bead! My kids will be thrilled!

theglasszone
2010-04-16, 11:03am
...DeAnne - OMGosh - is that rocketship murrini? That is unbelievably cool!...I201289

Yup, Rocket Ship Murrini! Which I now have about 100 left :lol:

Thanks for the compliment...and your space doggie (and your other entries as well) are completely darling! Best wishes for a safe return of your hubby; may God watch over him and protect him!

Hugs,
De

Kris Schaible
2010-04-16, 2:26pm
I can't wait to get the pics of my bead, I didn't take one because I didn't think one would be selected....
Loving every bead, De those rockets are super cute...

tikiterri
2010-04-17, 5:50am
Here's my picture. My son does magic with adobe. Before you couldn't see what was in the photo because it was so dark. Anyway here it is, it's the bottom bead........

tikiterri
2010-04-17, 5:53am
Is anyone going to Kennedy space center to watch the shuttle take off. Would love to hook up with you.

Mustang Dawn
2010-04-17, 6:15am
I love all the beads :) Great murrini De!!!

macsynchro
2010-04-17, 9:11am
I might if hubby is home... and we are in town... We have a list of people we "need" to visit once he returns home safely.. but since my bead is on that flight I would love to see it take off and since my DH got his Pilots license right before he left it an excuse for us to fly somewhere :0}

theglasszone
2010-04-17, 10:09am
Oh, Terri...you're beads are super cute and excellently done! I'm crazy about that Shuttle bead...wonderful job! :)

De

tikiterri
2010-04-17, 7:08pm
Thanks, I love every ones beads and am honored to a part of this group.
Lets keep in touch so we can get together at kennedy to watch our beads lift off.
Terri

patienthand
2010-04-18, 5:40pm
you know Roccio's husband is also a pilot, and she has beads on the shuttle too.

I am SO thrilled 2 Florida Glass Dragons have beads on the shuttle.. GO TEAM!!!!

Rocio and Terri are our new heros... the kids are gonna be thrilled

Candice

Kris Schaible
2010-04-23, 1:00pm
ANY UPDATE SOON?? I am excited to see the picture of which of my beads is space bound??? I also keep checking the blog... :) THANKS!!

LoriGreenberg
2010-04-23, 8:37pm
I've been in a two day Kristina Logan class and getting all of the info together for media packets that will be working on local coverage of beadmakers as well as some other opportunities!

I do know that the shuttle has been rolled out to the launch pad and it's ready to go for our launch. The astronauts saw them and LOVED them. They're even excited about us having beads on the mission, and for being a part of TEAM Beads of Courage.

I guess that no one there knew what to expect when they heard that 'glass beads' were being sent up with them. When they saw them they were blown away. It's probably fun to see art that has to do with their profession.

I have about 117 emails to go through and many of them are BOC related...I will keep y'all posted as I dig out of my email pile!

Kris Schaible
2010-04-24, 6:50am
cool, seems like everyone made beads that the program in enjoying. Perhaps that will help with publicity....
Sounds like you have had an exciting few day in class....
Thanks for the update... excited to see my bead that was selected... :)

theglasszone
2010-04-24, 11:25am
Oh, how exciting Kris! I'm so happy for you and the winners! I'd have butterflies in my tummy if mine were going! :) It's so dang cool...

De

theglasszone
2010-04-25, 1:19pm
This is the launch schedule, yeah? May 14 at 2:19 p.m. EDT

baddogglass
2010-05-01, 7:19pm
What great beads everyone! It only gets better ...

In case anyone wants to wave at the space monkeys, space dog, space frog, aliens, spaceships and other beads as they fly by in low earth orbit ... use the link I've provided below ... on the left side of the page, under 'Sighting Opportunities' pick your country then follow the links as they narrow it down to your town. It will list the time that it will pass over you and where to look in the sky. It looks like a HUGE moving star. It flew over me tonight, right on schedule!

tikiterri
2010-05-01, 7:27pm
Thanks for the link !!!

Kris Schaible
2010-05-02, 1:59pm
we look up almost every space flight... if you look just before or after it is attached to the ISS you get to see two dots following each other... that is extra cool... :)

Kris Schaible
2010-05-05, 10:40am
here is my bead that was selected....Lori at BoC took the pics, thanks for doing such a great job.....

theglasszone
2010-05-05, 2:02pm
Oooo, Kris! I love your Shuttle Bead! :) Congrats baby!

De

Kris Schaible
2010-05-05, 2:11pm
Thanks De....

tikiterri
2010-05-09, 11:22am
Very nice!

Mr. Meker
2010-05-09, 5:48pm
Cant believe I missed it. Is this going to happen again?

theglasszone
2010-05-10, 8:58am
Don't forget - launch is scheduled for Friday! I can't be there, but will be watching and waving! :waving:

De

theglasszone
2010-05-14, 11:24am
Off they go! :) I'm so proud of all of you!!!

Safe flight; safe landing!

De

jujeebeads
2010-05-14, 11:25am
OMG watching that just brought tears to my eyes! SO exciting!!!!

theglasszone
2010-05-14, 11:33am
Me TOO Judy!

patienthand
2010-05-14, 3:31pm
I watched the babies go up from my MILs front yard and thought go babies go... I am so proud of the folks who got to have their beads go up. Was kinda nice to watch this launch and feel like I had a little bit of a personal connection to it.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Candice

tikiterri
2010-05-14, 7:32pm
WTG Ladies Congrats!!! I watched it go up from cocoa with my husband, Rocio and her family and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!! I felt so many different emotions. Thank you Beads of Courage for this great opportunity and for letting me be apart of helping you help the children.
Terri Fout

jujeebeads
2010-05-14, 9:39pm
Cheers to you ALL! this was an extremely cool part of a very busy day....watched the launch, then it was off to set up for a busy 2 day show. not it's time to go to bed (thank God!) but I anticipate sweet dreams O:)

Marcy
2010-05-16, 5:03am
I watched my tv set and was so happy for Beads of Courage. I had beads go up too and this meant more to me, than other achievements. What fun!

Reenie
2010-05-16, 2:50pm
Here's my picture. My son does magic with adobe. Before you couldn't see what was in the photo because it was so dark. Anyway here it is, it's the bottom bead........

These are fantastic!
Actually they are all fantastic but didn't want to copy and paste all the pictures...lol
Congrats you guys!

tikiterri
2010-05-26, 3:29am
The Shuttle is landing today at 8:48am.

patienthand
2010-05-26, 4:24am
the babies are coming home in about 20 minutes....I am waiting to hear the double boom as it glides in.

Candice

Marcy
2010-05-26, 4:41am
Candice you are so lucky to be there.

tikiterri
2010-05-26, 5:30am
That's what we're waiting to hear that sonic boom! This is so Exciting!!

beadgirl
2010-05-26, 5:43am
Hoping to catch a view of it in passing.......waiting...waiting!!!
MarieAnn

patienthand
2010-05-26, 5:50am
the beads have made touch down safely!!!!!!

Candice

beadgirl
2010-05-26, 5:53am
Watched it on TV... Congratulations to everyone!
Terri could you see the shuttle re enter?
Candice could you see it from Orlando?

Marcy
2010-05-26, 6:05am
I recorded it on CNN also. Woohoo! and if the Atlantis ends up in a museum, we can go see where our beads were too! (I wonder if BOC would want some of us to donate some similar beads if they would display them as part of what the Atlantis load was?) Could be good pr for them.

Bluejeangirlnc
2010-05-26, 6:16am
Congrats to everyone and welcome home to the Atlantis crew!

carolinainmymind
2010-05-27, 6:08am
Congrats to everyone! Such a cool thing for the kids!