Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Copper enameling tutorial

bluhealer
2010-03-19, 3:18pm
Finally finished my first (and probably last) tutorial.....it covers enameling/lampworking on copper and brass in the torch.
I developed this technique in 2005, and use it to make matching pieces for my beads. I wasn't sure if the pieces would hold up, but so far they've been fine, so I'm comfortable publishing the technique.

Anyway, the tutorial is on Etsy, and I'm happy to answer questions, either here, in email, or in convo's.
I do include my sources in the tutorial. :)

Gail Joseph
2010-03-19, 4:11pm
Just bought it...Can't wait to try it out!!! Thanks!-Gail

bluhealer
2010-03-19, 5:00pm
Somehow in my muddling around with Acrobat, I managed to lose the part where I thanked Anne Ricketts for kindly previewing this and pointing out some areas that needed clarification....Thank you Anne!!

kirrakat123
2010-03-19, 6:41pm
Hi, The tutorial looks great, but I can't see anywhere in the etsy details
about the coe of the glass used in the tutorial. What is the coe of the glass
used, soft or boro? I am a boro user, do you know if it works with boro?
We can't use enamel with boro, but there are some nice boro frits available.
The copper pieces might get too hot when using boro glass because the flame & kiln is alot hotter than soft glass. Thanks, Cynthia

bluhealer
2010-03-19, 7:53pm
Hi, The tutorial looks great, but I can't see anywhere in the etsy details
about the coe of the glass used in the tutorial. What is the coe of the glass
used, soft or boro? I am a boro user, do you know if it works with boro?
We can't use enamel with boro, but there are some nice boro frits available.
The copper pieces might get too hot when using boro glass because the flame & kiln is alot hotter than soft glass. Thanks, Cynthia

Sorry, I hadn't even thought about boro....I rarely use it so it hadn't crossed my mind! This technique is for 104 glass only, at least that's all I've used.
Off to make a note on the listing!
Thanks!
Carolyn

bluhealer
2010-03-19, 8:00pm
Ok, that's fixed....if anyone purchased one thinking it would work for boro, let me know and I'll refund your purchase price.

theglasszone
2010-03-19, 9:01pm
Wow, this looks really neat! :) I'm wondering if you have any examples that will show a more close up of the work and if you'd mind posting a couple - either here or on the Etsy listing; the "cover" you've posted in the Etsy link is lovely but kinda hard to see the details.

If you'd prefer not to, I understand...

Thanks!
De

MaryBeth
2010-03-19, 9:12pm
This sounds great! I just purchased one:smile:

bluhealer
2010-03-19, 9:13pm
It appears I've forgotten how to add pictures---I was able to create an album though. If you click on my profile, there are a couple of pictures....

bluhealer
2010-03-19, 9:28pm
all the paid tutorials have been sent....I'm off to bed!

swamper
2010-03-20, 1:33pm
Must have missed me in that bunch - I ordered at about 11pm last night eastern time.

bluhealer
2010-03-20, 2:32pm
emailed you

swamper
2010-03-20, 4:24pm
emailed you

Thanks - contacting you now.

MaryBeth
2010-03-20, 6:22pm
I like it! This is something that can add so much and I never would have thought of doing it:smile:

Torched Art
2010-03-20, 7:11pm
I just got your tut. I'm excited to try something new!

Much prosperity in your tut adventure.

Jayne
2010-03-20, 8:31pm
Wow, this looks really neat! :) I'm wondering if you have any examples that will show a more close up of the work and if you'd mind posting a couple - either here or on the Etsy listing; the "cover" you've posted in the Etsy link is lovely but kinda hard to see the details.

If you'd prefer not to, I understand...

Thanks!
De

Hey De, if you click on the pic of the cover a couple times, it will enlarge really big so you can see everything really close up :grin:

EmbellishYourself
2010-03-20, 8:59pm
Jayne, thanks for the tip! I wanted to see them closer also :)

playswithfire104
2010-03-21, 12:41pm
Hey De, if you click on the pic of the cover a couple times, it will enlarge really big so you can see everything really close up :grin:

That did work - I ordered mine!

cherie
2010-03-21, 1:08pm
I dont work with enamels at all..could u still get some good/pretty results without using enamels?

Anne Ricketts
2010-03-21, 1:17pm
Carolyn you are so welcome! I hope I helped! :grin: I am looking forward to trying this myself!

beauxartz
2010-03-21, 1:31pm
This looks really interesting. Anyone know a good place to order the copper or brass from?

midniteburner
2010-03-21, 6:59pm
Ok, I must have missed something...don't worry, I usually do...ughhh

Is this using copper foil or real copper (like tubing or sheet...)? I misunderstood. I have bought tons of copper tubing, sheet, shavings, dust... I have no idea if I will use it all in this lifetime.

Sara

playswithfire104
2010-03-21, 7:23pm
Metaliforous has lots of this type of supply.

Laura B
2010-03-21, 7:57pm
Very cool. If I wanted to mention this on my blog, would you mind if I hotlinked to your listing and the photo in your listing?

squid
2010-03-21, 7:59pm
it's using sheet, shapes, etc. - not foil.

bluhealer
2010-03-21, 9:07pm
it's using sheet, shapes, etc. - not foil.
Correct, it has to stand up to enough heat to melt the enamel...

bluhealer
2010-03-21, 9:07pm
Very cool. If I wanted to mention this on my blog, would you mind if I hotlinked to your listing and the photo in your listing?

Not at all, thanks!

bluhealer
2010-03-21, 9:09pm
Ok, I must have missed something...don't worry, I usually do...ughhh

Is this using copper foil or real copper (like tubing or sheet...)? I misunderstood. I have bought tons of copper tubing, sheet, shavings, dust... I have no idea if I will use it all in this lifetime.

Sara
You can use the sheet if it's not too thin, the tubing could work, too.
I think Pinzart used to have something with enamels and tubing to make beads, but it's been a long time...

playswithfire104
2010-03-22, 6:30am
You can use the sheet if it's not too thin, the tubing could work, too.
I think Pinzart used to have something with enamels and tubing to make beads, but it's been a long time...

Yeah Pizart did something like that. She demoed at Beadfest one year.

Torched Art
2010-03-23, 1:11pm
The tut has a great list of resources you can go to for all your supplies. And yes, the copper or meal is not foil, it is sheet or stamped.

aarenlainey
2010-03-30, 12:06am
Copper can be found in many forms and colors, enamel coating,coating,brownish, burnished, chestnut, copper,copper-colored,metallic brown,reddish-brown,reddish-tan, russet,rust,and so on.Copper is germicidal,via the oligodynamic effect. For example, brass doorknobs disinfect themselves of many bacteria within a period of eight hours. Antimicrobial properties of copper are effective against Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,Escherichia coli,and other pathogens.In colder temperature, longer time is required to kill bacteria and has the intrinsic ability to kill a variety of potentially harmful pathogens.

Melanie
2010-03-30, 7:32am
i love using copper, and am super excited to get this tutorial. i took a 10 week course in traditional enameling and haven't done any at home, but i LOVE the idea of being able to use lampworking techniques! Maybe i'll actually USE this info! hahaha YAY! :)

Melanie

dla
2010-03-31, 12:53pm
This looks pretty cool. Just ordered the tutorial. I'm guessing I can use copper tubing with this ?

SuzyQ
2010-03-31, 1:00pm
Great tutorial and this is going to be fun! Thanks so much for sharing what you have learned :D

bluhealer
2010-04-01, 7:22am
This looks pretty cool. Just ordered the tutorial. I'm guessing I can use copper tubing with this ?
You could indeed....:)

glassymom
2010-04-15, 3:20pm
Finally got to order this and I can't wait to try it. I love working with copper and it just seems like the next step!!
sue

Rose Leslie
2010-04-16, 7:05pm
Do you have any tutorials left???? I so would love to get one.

bluhealer
2010-04-21, 2:31pm
I do!
Just click on the tutorial section of the shop...
Thanks!
Carolyn

Ro
2010-04-24, 4:50pm
so has anyone tried yet?
ro

bluhealer
2010-04-26, 7:28am
I saw Ben Eagle at RMBS bazaar this weekend, & he has some awesome vintage brass stampings......had to dig a little to find the raw ones, a lot of them had a colored finish, but there were some ribbed teardrops, some elongated drops, smaller teardrops, & chandelier type filigree drops.
As far as I know Ben has never had a website, but his phone number is (719) 738-3991.

Beadbug
2010-04-26, 9:51am
http://copperwirejewelers.ning.com/ You may want to post that this tutorial is avaiable on the new copper form. I am sure they would love to purchase it.

I got mine and can't wait to read it.

bluhealer
2010-04-29, 9:08am
Thank you for the link! I'll go and take a look..
Meantime, here's a freebie.......I really like this source and they aren't listed in the tutorial---I had some trouble with Adobe and a couple of things got dropped that I thought were in there, including my thanks to Anne Ricketts for proofing and this link...http://www.fancifulsinc.com/index.html

Polo
2010-04-29, 8:15pm
Thanks