Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : What makes a website "POP"?

mikefras
2006-03-12, 12:21pm
What makes a website pop? Mine is pretty boring, any ideas? Now its "Help"

:cool:

dogmaw
2006-03-12, 3:05pm
We are working on redoing ours right now too. We are trying to go for the professional and not too glitzy look, but it is tough! Yours to me looks very industrial. Since you are making tools, that might be a good look for you.

born2snooze
2006-03-13, 5:24pm
I like the idea of having a homepage. The opening page without any link, just a cool picture, or cool pictures, or coll pic and a slogan that made people interested to click 'enter site'.

A flash introduction is always cool, but my search engine booster guy told me its not good for the rank in the search engine. Thats why I have a flash intro in my site, but as an option, people can click it if they want to see it or skip it.

I think there are people that can put a flash introduction in your opening page, without messnig with the search engine ranking. Hope this helps! Take care! :)
:waving:

boroburner
2006-03-14, 9:46am
Im presently having a site built. My comp guy is a WIZZZ. Ill introduce you if you come up to visit. Im sure he could fix'r up for ya.
B

Su Poole
2006-03-15, 2:08am

Look at your site as if you were a new customer. In five seconds you're going to get the info you need or move on. Five... four... three..........

You need a clean site, simple links, a good picture and that's it. The front page is your shop window, keep it simple, clean and enticing. You can sell your stuff once they're in the door but all those dissimilar colours and text everywhere are not easy to read and finding the main info is impossible. What are you selling? Show THAT and only that.

Just, of course, my tuppence.

-Su

laurellanestudios
2006-03-15, 8:45am
I'm always impressed by very clean sites...I am very, very easily visually overloaded and almost immediately leave sites that are cluttered.

Secondly, if a site isn't updated regularly, I usually take it off my "favorites" list and stop visiting.

Finally, and this ties into the visual overload issue, I greatly appreciate larger and darker text! Even with my contacts in and a fairly large monitor, I have trouble reading small and colored text.

Just my two cents. Heck...I better go look at my site and make sure I practice what I preach!

2006-03-15, 10:32pm
A simple, but unique logo graphic.

mikefras
2006-03-15, 10:45pm
Thats what I need...a Logo ...like MFP or something like that.

Phoenix
2006-03-16, 9:30am
Mike- this is part of how I make my living- not designing- but helping people find the best design that will sell- how much can you take? If you are up for it, I'm happy to give some suggestions :-)

mikefras
2006-03-16, 11:54am
Hi recipegal
Any feedback is valuable, good or bad. I work with steel so I don't dent that easy. If it helps me,it will help others...the beauty of public forums. If you are afraid of the answer....its best not to ask the question I figure.

Mike

Phoenix
2006-03-16, 1:42pm
Thanks Mike- I tend to generally ask for hard feedback- but i need to remember not everyone likes to hear it :-)

Right now, the site is a bit disorganized and industrial. it looks more like a steelworks site- not a bad thing for what i think your target audience originally was.

Since you are now selling to lampworkers and fusers- you should consider the audience in color and design.

You also want to pull the viewer down a sales path- and because you create new tools- you want to make sure they come back.

Here's what i would sugegst if you were a client-
-Get a title on the page- HOME isn't what you want if they bookmark you
-Change the look of the buttons on the side- they are too industrial and don't have the best readability
-Sum up your business in one sentence or tagline- you make more then the frit smasher- but that's the first thing on every page
-About us- the site depends on your reputation- bulking that out with a photo would be helpful
-Organization- "stacking" your navigation would be helpful- products together at the least
-Newsletter - have you thought about adding a newsletter- just a once a month update with new products, ideas etc?
-Testamonials -more is better
-If you can dream it...I'll try to build it" - i like that
-Kiln pieces- pictures of end product would be great- using the frit system of testers may be a good idea- send out a few for testamonials and sample photos
-Some of your custom work is hidden on the for sale page. I'd suggest moving that to service as an example of custom work and changing "services" to custom work"
-Fleshing out custom work could be a great thing- I'm a beginner and there are things I wish i could find. Let people know what your capabilities are- what metals, sizes, what can you do with
-Do you sell wholesale? An section with info on how to set up a wholesale account would be great

that's all practical stuff- the "pop" generally comes from a personality. I'd say pick a few words that descrive you- if you don't feel those when looking at the site- get colors, header, layout altered until you do. If you have some words- throw them out and maybe we can find some suggestions there as well.

Let me know if there is anything I can help with!

-Bo was a beautiful dog!

mikefras
2006-03-16, 2:25pm
Thanks Jessica, theres my starting point. Yes Bo was quite the companion.
I guess "Twisted Steel and Sex Appeal" would not be a good tag line then?

Mike

Thanks for your time

Phoenix
2006-03-16, 2:48pm
I kind of like that tagline :-)

You may want to put a little more curve in your designs if you go that way though...

mikefras
2006-03-16, 3:44pm
Ha

rverk47
2006-03-19, 4:36am
Ohh i would love my own frit masher!!!!!!!!!i haven't taken up slumping yet but it sounds like a blast..i'm not a web goddess so the only advice i have is the buttons are hard to read..let me know what you think of my website..thx
renee
www.simonsewsetc.com

mikefras
2006-03-22, 3:12pm
Sorry about the button thing, didn't change the home page....:oops:

dogmaw
2006-03-22, 3:51pm
Mike, it still looks "industrial" but it now is a much more user friendly looking place.

mikefras
2006-03-22, 5:57pm
Thanks Jo, I think I will keep the industrial look. You were absolutly right before. We are about metal and heavy duty stuff. At least I have clouds as a background.....kinda soft :-P

Mike

sislonski
2006-03-22, 9:07pm
Mike, I hope you don't mind hearing my opinion.

I say keep the industrial look.
Your website is an extension of your product.
If a website looks like you've cheaped out on quality, it can portray to the customer that perhaps you have done the same with your product.

You want it to look quality & speak quality.

Peronsally I would lose the clouds. They are very amateur looking.
Simply go with a black background and very light grey text. Almost white.
The black background will make the grey industrial look just pop!

Center your page in the middle of the screen rather than off to the left. The way it is leaves the right side looking very empty, giving the customer the feeling that you don't really have a lot to offer.

Even though I haven't done this myself on my home page for my beadsforacure site, It has been suggested to me and I plan to make this chage (I have done this on my lampwork.ca site though): Have a graphic of your product somewhere on the home page. A great photo shot, that draws the customer into the rest of your site.

Hope you don't mind this feedback.

shari

Phoenix
2006-03-23, 7:34am
Mike- i hadn't see the changes yet. i like them!
I think going more industrial does give it more of the personality- you've comitted to looking like you mean it :-)

The title of your page right now is home- changing that would make bookmarks and Google happier :-)

I think i might lose the clouds also- maybe just a light grey pulled from your site as a background?

mikefras
2006-03-23, 5:37pm
Ive taken a little of everyones suggestions and implemented them, I still don't know how to change the title of my home page??? I'm almost there. I love this place, everyone is so helpful....

mikefras
2006-03-24, 3:34pm
Ok, figured out the renaming of the title page. Now I Need to make a logo, Any suggestions for grafix? I was thinking MFP in Chrome letters...what software is a good way to go?

sislonski
2006-03-25, 10:25am
Mike: Here is an example of an industrial looking template that I think would look great for your business. The color scheme and such. It's a template example that can be purchased and customized to your business/

shari

mikefras
2006-03-26, 9:33pm
Now thats nice

mikefras
2006-03-26, 9:34pm
What about this a logo??

or

sislonski
2006-03-27, 1:39am
That's a nice logo Mike!

I have to say however, theres something about using red that I just don't like.

I think the color scheme that is shown in the page sample above is a very nice combination. the yellow on grey on black.

shari

Phoenix
2006-03-27, 2:12pm
Mike- i like the whole name, but i like the font in the secodn one better- just to be difficult i guess ;-)

ukiacat
2006-03-27, 8:40pm
You are right Mike, this feedback that you're getting is good for the rest of us. I don't have a website yet and really like to read this type of thread as I work out what I want to do.

Thanks for this topic and thanks to those of you who are helping Mike, I'm learning from it too.

Just so you know, I have a 19" moniter and when I go to your website I have 3 inches of blank space on the right side of the screen...the grey background is there but your header stops about 3 inches from the right and the two links are under the header so there is just an odd looking blank area. Does that make sense? Maybe you mean it to look like this but to me it looks like it wasn't sized properly and therefore loses some of the professional look that I think you want to create.

J

mikefras
2006-03-28, 7:36am
My kingdom for a 19" moniter, I will adjust the header soon. Thanks for checking it out and, happy to help others.

Mike

ukiacat
2006-03-28, 11:32am
My kingdom for a 19" moniter, I will adjust the header soon. Thanks for checking it out and, happy to help others.

Mike

Mine is a ViewSonic and I love it. I paid a kingdom for it 3 years ago. Now I see them on sale for $329 occasionally. :rolleyes:
J

Cosmo
2006-03-29, 8:17am
Yeah. I have dual 21" monitors on my computer here. I have to keep reminding myself that not everyone else does. I'll design a page here and it looks great, and then when I look at it on my laptop, it's freakin' huge!

Janetlee
2006-03-29, 10:07am
Hi,
I'm a newbie as far as computer stuff. I know nothing about building a website for my beads. And to be honest don't have the funds(hubby disabled)and I have to stay home to take care of him. So having a website built professionally is out of the question.
So to get to the point is where is a good book to learn how to do this? It is all new to me. I want to learn so we can have extra funds.Working outside of our home is out of the question .
Is there a book out there to walk me thru all of this?
I have taken notes from everyone and they have been a blessing to me. O:) Cause I had no idea where to start.
I want to Thank everyone for sharing what you know .:grin: Because it helps folks like me.
Janet

Janetlee
2006-03-29, 10:14am
Sorry Mike I didn't mean to interupt your thread. I put it in the wrong one.
I like your webpage especially the industrial look. Best wishes on your website.
Janet

mikefras
2006-03-29, 11:22am
I used the templates that were available on yahoo site builder. I am gradually figuring out how to tailor the pages to suit my needs. I sure appreciate all of the help on design and material that makes the site "pop". Still have a ways to go but it will eventually get there. So Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions and tips coming, it helps us all when you share your knowledge and experience.

Mike

Cosmo
2006-03-29, 11:23am
Hi,
I'm a newbie as far as computer stuff. I know nothing about building a website for my beads. And to be honest don't have the funds(hubby disabled)and I have to stay home to take care of him. So having a website built professionally is out of the question.
So to get to the point is where is a good book to learn how to do this? It is all new to me. I want to learn so we can have extra funds.Working outside of our home is out of the question .
I have taken notes from everyone and they have been a blessing to me. O:) Cause I had no idea where to start.
I want to Thank everyone for sharing what you know .:grin: Because it helps folks like me.
Janet

Pick up one of the "Websites for Dummies" or "HTML for Dummies" books. That will tell you what you need to know to get a basic site up and running. Web site building is really very simple. If you can type a letter or make a post on this message board, you can do web sites.

Janetlee
2006-03-29, 11:29am
Thank you Chad on the suggestion of the books. I will do that. I appreciate your help.
I'm off to the bookstore...
Janet

ukiacat
2006-03-29, 1:06pm
Hi,

Janet

I highly reccommend this book: Creating Web Pages with HTML Simplified.
by Maran Graphics. The entire book leads you step by step and it is ALL pictures of the computer screen so you can see what they're talking about as you do it. I have the 2nd edition. It was published in 1999 but it seems to be current enough. Maybe someone who knows better can correct me if this is not true.
J

Janetlee
2006-03-29, 2:36pm
Thanks Jennifer for the info on the book. I just got back from bookstore getting HTML 4 for Dummies. But I will check the book you suggested out too. I appreciate your help, I'm a very visual person when it comes to computers. Thanks again
Janet

sislonski
2006-03-29, 4:05pm
You can also take a look at these two links for more info.

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/teachingtool/html.html

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/html/article.php/3478141

shari

Janetlee
2006-03-29, 6:59pm
Thank you Shari for your help too. I will check these out . I appreciate everyones help , you all have been very helpful. I had no idea where to start.
Thanks again
Janet

mikefras
2006-03-29, 8:55pm
I certainly didn't expect this much feedback, it sure helps and points us newbie website creators in the right direction.

Mike

boroburner
2006-03-30, 7:09am
for a minimal fee there are sites like homestead. They will provide all the buttons, code, fonts, background, ect. I built a site yrs ago with it and had no experiance with web sites when i started, it took me a lil time but i got a store front up and even generated sales! O' Im in no way cpu friendly.
B

mikefras
2006-04-05, 7:53pm
What a wealth of info on one thread, now if I can just figure out how I did the letters in my logo question, I will be set....I think......COSMO..........Help. I like the red and chrome, but cant remember how is did it

adee
2006-04-05, 9:19pm
Thank you everyone, I'm learning too.. :)

Reenie
2006-04-06, 12:17am
I was bored and playing in photoshop and tried to make a metal grid.
It's a large file but I brought down the quality to show you here..
If you like it and think it might fit in to maybe a header for your page or even a background (with opacity brought down) I'll send you the file and you can have it if you want.
Or you can throw it away.
It just kind of fit into the metal aspect of your page.
Irene

mikefras
2006-04-06, 6:53am
Now thats cool, I think it would make a great background. how did you do that, if you dont mind, please send it to me.

Mike

mikefras
2006-04-12, 9:23pm
Thanks Irene, It took a while but I managed to make it lighter for a background..........way better than the grey or the clouds.

Mike

danelady
2006-05-12, 5:44am
Mike, I LOVE the industrial look of the website, especially your new grid background! It fits so well with what you do, and the products you sell! Great job!

I would like to suggest that you change your page sizing to 100% instead of actual sizing as you have it set currently (width="993") The reason is that people use many browser window sizes and have different screen sizes. Using 100% will enable them to tile smaller windows and still see much of your page (it will expand and collapse as they resize the window), and use a larger screen and have it fill the space compfortably! GREAT job on the site tho!

mikefras
2006-05-17, 6:41am
Great suggestions..Just have to figure out how](*,)
Adding a New project page generated a ton of interest, The weaving mold trials had over a thousand hits the first weekend and the candle bridge was added last night.....another 300 views yesterday alone. Similar to a BLOG but...different. Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone :biggrin:

ChristyPhelps
2006-05-17, 7:30am
I laid out print ads for a living and I don't think web sites are all that different. Personally, I think you should group all of your tools into one "group" shot for the front page instead of a blank/design background. This page is the first one someone will see. If they're on dial-up and can't see what it is you sell right away, they'll leave. Set up the shot like you're an engineer (which you are) in the middle of doing mechanical drawings. Lay down a big old sketch pad, a compass or some drawing tools and arrange the tools on top of this. The pad and props are a suggestion of a theme, don't let them overpower the product.

just my .02

mikefras
2006-05-30, 6:58pm
Finally got a 19" monitor...........I did not realize how much I missed\\:D/

Dana L
2007-01-26, 1:02pm
thank all of you for collecting this