Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Making 2 part borosilicate drawer pulls

menty666
2010-06-23, 9:32pm
Ever wanted to make your own drawer pulls and cabinet knobs but didn't have a clue where to start?

Let this tutorial help get you started!

http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&op=listing&product_id=1530472

Thanks for looking :)

Tom

bexrox
2010-06-24, 9:00am
Hi Tom,

I'm trying to find some pics of drawer pulls that you have made already so I can see what this tut may produce. Can you pls direct me? Also, can this be done in soft glass, and can the hardware components be purchased at hardware stores, or are they expensive, special glass industry parts? I'm really interested, if your answers are all the right ones!;-)

menty666
2010-06-24, 9:25am
Hi Tom,

I'm trying to find some pics of drawer pulls that you have made already so I can see what this tut may produce. Can you pls direct me? Also, can this be done in soft glass, and can the hardware components be purchased at hardware stores, or are they expensive, special glass industry parts? I'm really interested, if your answers are all the right ones!;-)

Hi Becky!

I'll work backwards...

I haven't actually seen the inserts in any hardware stores, and I've most certainly looked. They aren't glass specific parts and run about 17.00 (+s&h) for a 100 from Aftosa (http://www.aftosa.com/kwh.html).

Can you do it in soft glass.. I'd say maybe. Probably. Here's a picture of one I attempted last night in soft glass. It's hideous, and welded onto the mandrel awaiting a meeting with my hammer (I broke the release), but it is possible. The larger problem I had was that I don't work soft glass often and it's been about two years since I messed with it in the flame.

Not the best advertisement, but this was my attempt at a soft glass knob:

These are two samples of borosilicate knobs made in the method in my tutorial. The pair are the two that actually start in the document.

These were 'rejects' from a recent order I had. The coloring was wrong on them.

I hope that answers it for you :)

menty666
2010-06-24, 9:29am
One other example :)

playswithfire104
2010-06-24, 3:41pm
I already used my buying budget up for this pay but this is next on my list for sure!!! Tom I've been seeing your drawer pulls on FB and love them! Can I ask what size mandrels are needed - I'm guessing 1/4 inch from the link about the hardware. If I end up getting the job I was supposed to get I will be getting this very soon!

menty666
2010-06-24, 4:00pm
Thanks Nancy!

Yes indeedy, they're 1/4" mandrels. They did double duty as bead mandrels when I was making my chess set :)