Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Your favorite bead release for presses?

DawnT
2005-07-14, 8:08am
I know this is an old question but I thought maybe with the growing number of lampworkers using presses now there would be some new opinions. The bead release I have now is really prone to cracking which is ok when I'm making round beads because it doesn't affect my bead but when I use presses I'm consistently having it crack off and onto my bead. I've read all the recommended tips for using the release and am simply not happy with it other than the fact that I rarely even have to soak in water to get the bead off the mandrel.

So..what do you like as far as stayability (I know, not a real word! :happy: )on the mandrel during pressing but still ease of removal and cleaning of beads?

TheBriarePatch
2005-07-14, 8:23am
I have had good luck with Sludge Plus, but then I've never used anything else so I can't compare. As long as I don't have the release on too thick, I don't get any cracking while using the press and the beads slide right off the mandrel later!

CorriDawn
2005-07-14, 9:09am
I use heavy duty foster fire mixed with Kragg Mudd. Don't know why I have them mixed. there may be a little bit of sludge plus in there too... basically, i spilled my foster fire, my KRAGG was almost gone, I mised them together, my jar started getting low, I added sludge plus... Works great though! hardly ever cracks and they come right off the mandrel. :D

dogmaw
2005-07-14, 10:47am
I used to use sludge plus, but have switched to Bucket o Mud. It cleans out of the beads soooo much easier.

Kaye
2005-07-14, 11:01am
we started out with Fusion and still use it today, for our style of work it works great...easy to clean the holes...I have some super blue sludge and that is great stuff for large beads and sculpure that is gonna be tugged on a lot, but man is it HARD to clean out of the holes.

I have some foster fire and haven't tried it yet, I hope it didn't get to old...its a large bottle to.

loco
2005-07-14, 11:02am
I mush I squish I roll with force I beat to death my beads I leave my dipped mandrels forever sometimes......... I use Fusion, have since my first flame experience it stands up to my abuse so I have never changed.

I do have one press for MIL beads and have made a few hundred of those and have never had any flaakes or breaks.

Your mileage may vary........ :)

DawnT
2005-07-14, 11:54am
Thanks for all the replies. Couple of questions for ya: Can Fusion and Bucket o Mud be flame dried? I like to have the option to do that since I never remember to pre-dip (which is why I switched from Sludge Plus). And where is Bucket o Mud sold?

dogmaw
2005-07-14, 12:34pm
Bucket o Mud can be flame dried, no problems. It is sold at http://www.timberwolfstudios.net/ (no affiliation, i just like the stufF)

Lu Douglas
2010-01-15, 10:32pm
I have dip and go sludge and no access to anything else yet. However, it's rather thick and I mean thick! can I add water to get that creamy consistency? TIP - it's also such a small container that I can't get depth on the mandrel so I'm thinking of pouring some into a herb bottle which is 2cm wide and 10 cm deep. any suggestions on the thickness of the dip and go?