Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : those of you with auralens glasses....

lunesse
2005-07-14, 11:57am
I'm getting a pair for myself, and relegating my old pair to "visitor in the studio" status. I still am thinking about goosenecks, shields, etc....but until I sort that out, having two pair of glasses isn't a bad thing. My parents want to watch me do some glass stuff and I only have my one pair...

Which frames do you guys like and why? I don't care if I look sexy due to frame shape (we all know AUR92 ITSELF is just damn sexy...)...so if the safety line is best, most eyecover, most comfort, that's fine.

Thanks for your opinions in advance!

MikeAurelius
2005-07-14, 12:27pm
we all know AUR92 ITSELF is just damn sexy... :happy: :happy: :hotgirl:

WhiskerWood
2005-07-14, 12:54pm
I sent in an old pair of my regular frames and had Auralens put in prescription AUR92 lenses and I am SO happy with them!!!

I bought a pair of small "Downtown" glasses and I like them a lot but they are kinda tight on my head... the tightness is great though because they don't slide off my face LOL

Rose Leslie
2005-07-14, 1:13pm
They have some nice frames and lenses that can be made into prescriptions. Yes it is nice and I don't know about sexy just cool.

chrisdd
2005-07-14, 1:41pm
Now that I figured out the right position, I really like my shield. No hot glass shards flying up my nose! But it's not too portable, so that's a minor pain.

lunesse
2005-07-14, 2:55pm
They have some nice frames and lenses that can be made into prescriptions. Yes it is nice and I don't know about sexy just cool.

yes but do you have a particular frame you would reccomend? =)

lunamoonshadow
2005-07-19, 11:06pm
I tried on Jon's (Sonje/moonlight creation's son) pair of "downtown" frames & I loved them...that's my "dream pair" :D I know when I do break down & order them I'll end up wearing them "out in public" as sunglasses--they're very cool!
(and yes, I do have the "non-sexy" econo frame didy's now--tho since I torch at night I usually swap to just good quality safety lenses)

Mike--I've got a Q for you--I've got a LOT of "Rx-able" sunglasses (really--used to manage a sunglass shop--need I say more?)--what's the max base curve frame that you can put non-Rx lenses into? Thinking maybe if I don't go with the "downtown", maybe converting one of my uh, "excess" might be an option....
~Lyn

MikeAurelius
2005-07-20, 4:43am
Lyn - we just started doing "8 Base" plano lenses over the past couple of month - the ONLY restriction is that we need a sample lens from the frame (you can supply the original sunglass lens), AND if the lens is thick, for example, the AGW series, it will need to be back-beveled to allow the lens to sit properly in the eyewire groove.

bclogan
2005-07-20, 6:44am
I'm an anal Virgo, so I chose a frame using a very scientific method. I took my eyeglasses that fit real well into an eyeglass place (DOC I think) and had them find the size numbers from the frame. I then went to the Auralens website and found a frame with similar numbers.

I am VERY happy with them. They fit great! And comfort was my main concern.

Barbara

MikeAurelius
2005-07-20, 7:06am
Barbara - that is EXACTLY what we recommend people do! Good for you!

suzanne
2005-07-20, 7:06am
I am so frikkin happy:D I don;t have proper eyewear yet, but just got a mail from auralens that they can put lenses in a frame provided by me, and it so happends to be I found the most outragious Dame Edna frame with rinestones AND its pink!!!

magpiejst
2005-07-20, 7:18am
Suzanne -

when you get them i think a picture will be in order 8)

judy

suzanne
2005-07-20, 7:35am
ow yes I will definetly send in a picture,I am so exited!!!

MikeAurelius
2005-07-20, 7:38am
oh...my...ghod...[-o< [-X :-# :-\" ](*,) :-k #-o :-& :devang:

suzanne
2005-07-20, 7:44am
This is just tooooooooooooooooooo cool! I can't wait for you guys to do this little number:D:D:D:D:D

suzanne
2005-07-20, 7:46am

this is the frame... only it's pink:D

are you up for a challenge?

MikeAurelius
2005-07-20, 8:01am
uh, no. (runs from the room screaming)

You have GOT to be kidding.

You ARE kidding, right?

catman
2005-07-20, 9:13am
uh, no. (runs from the room screaming)

You have GOT to be kidding.

You ARE kidding, right?

Just in case she is NOT kidding, Mike,
this pair just HAS to appear in your site.
just to show everyone how far you are willing to go for your clients.

also, i'm sure each one of your staff will want to "check" this pair for themselves, maybe even take a photo...

this pair is great for attracting attention in fairs,
but i'd like to be there when suzanne explains her insurance people
that these glasses are essential pro's equipment...
the look on their faces will be a worth a photo for sure.

suzanne
2005-07-20, 10:01am
No I am dead serious. I really am sending you this pair to put lenses in!! I just mailed with one of your people, and received the adress. It is possible right?? I want a pair of lenses wich is so ugly its good. I want it to be so tacky that people will refere to me as the fruitcake with the funky glasses, and yes you have to make a picture for your website:)

I am honoust to god truly serious

suzanne
2005-07-20, 10:08am
oh mike... you probably going to have two of these coming in... someone else LOVES my idea and wants the same thing:D:D:D

suzanne
2005-07-20, 10:11am
there has been a slight change of design though...this is THE ONE

I love love love it

MikeAurelius
2005-07-20, 10:42am
Well, you'll certainly beat Sharon Peters hands down for the most incredibly silly frames in the world...

good ghod

lunamoonshadow
2005-07-20, 12:11pm
Cool! Most of my frames are base 6 (or less ;)) All have the original lenses....now...to pick the ones I most want to turn to "lampwork gear" :D....decisions decisions.....hmmmm....Thinking I might do my favorite the original oakley wire OO's @ the end of the summer--they just suffered a horrible scratching accident (my own stupid fault) & I don't think I really want to do the whole "replacement lens" routine--plus the lens in them was an "accident" (wrong irridium, not a color sold for that frame, "few-of" kind of deal, ya know?) Those are totally flat....Then again I've got 3 pair (don't ask!) of the same frame of Reptiles (with diferent color lenses in each though!) & one is "de-laminating" @ the corners...maybe instead of sending it in for the warrantee replacement I should convert that one....(are you laughing yet Mike??)
Sad thing is last year I sold like a dozen (or so) pairs on e-greed to pay my health insurance, & gifted another dozen or so as x-mas gifts (new, never worn of course!)--most of them were contest prizes, etc! (and then there were the "employee shopping days....) Sure makes more sense to "convert" than to buy another frame tho!!!
~Lyn

MikeAurelius
2005-07-20, 12:35pm
I'm rolling on the floor, actually...ahem.

Yeah, if the shape of the frame itself is the slightest bit "goofy", I absolutely have to have the original lenses so I can trace the lenses themselves.

I've got a digital 3-D tracing machine that is tied into a CNC 3-axis edger - a wonderful toy that paid for itself about 6 months after we got it. The only drawback is that the tracer is set up for "conventional" frames, certainly NOT "unconventional" ones.

Standard prescription frames have what's called a "4 base" curve. If you look down at the eyewire of the frame from on top, you will see a slight curve of the eyewire. This curve is specifically set so that the majority of lenses that are inserted will fit with little or no problem. Most edgers default to a 4 base curve automatically.

The problems arise with sunglass frames. The current 'fad' is the highly curved frames, they have an 8 base curve, so, we have to first match the lens curve, then the curve of the frame. It get exciting at times (rolling my eyes) and you'd learn all sorts of new words when we occasionally mess up and forget to make the 8 base setting on the edger.

If I were you, Lyn, I'd keep the good ones, send me the one with the delaminating lens (polarized, I assume) for new lens insertion.

Kalera
2005-07-20, 1:13pm

I love love love it

I am having utter paroxysms at the fabulousness... wow envy envy envy!

SuzyQ
2005-07-20, 1:16pm
Do I get to see the sexy Auralenses at the Gathering? Huh?

MikeAurelius
2005-07-20, 1:26pm
Oh yeah...I'll be there along with a couple of my buddies, sporting my new chameleon look ROFL!!

lunamoonshadow
2005-07-20, 8:53pm
Yup Mike, you guessed correctly--polarized...rose tint too...base 6 if I remember correctly & 9 freaking layers in the lens...delaminating at the edges of course! Not a scratch on 'em either....
Those purty pink ones are looking awfully fun though.....(and have you seen the thread over at the "blue" forum? Tink has some very interesting frames she's been coveting for "conversion", lol!)
~Lyn

CorriDawn
2005-07-20, 9:13pm
I NEED those frames!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suzanne
2005-07-20, 10:24pm
see mike.... I am not as crazy as you thought... there are a lot more galls who really NEED this

mobility
2005-07-20, 11:18pm
ooooh! Now I want some strange ones, too!!!!

There are a bunch here:

http://www.anysunglasses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=W&Category_Code=Fun_and_Funky

OOOH! Look at these!:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10458&item=7988035081

or these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14788&item=4563306210

hee hee hee!!! what fun!

How about a pair of those really cool google-eyed ones in the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie? Can you make some lenses for those, Mike? :D

suzanne
2005-07-21, 12:16am
LOL, I specialy like the catwoman glasses in the first link, the ones with the nosepiece:D

See Mike.. You are getting some really weird soon:D:D:D:D:D

MikeAurelius
2005-07-21, 4:20am
oy vey

SquareOneBeads
2005-07-21, 4:25am
Not only does Mike need to put a pic of Suzanne's glasses on his site, I think he needs to put up a pic of HIM wearing Suzanne's glasses. In fact, I think he needs to put up pics of him wearing all the fun frames we send him. It can be a little goofy gallery of Mike in many stylin' pairs of glasses :)

Heather

MikeAurelius
2005-07-21, 5:38am
hehehe...actually, that's not a bad idea...I'm going to have to think about this...

magpiejst
2005-07-21, 9:01am
Not to spoil the fun but I have a serious question about glasses - I have the basic didydium ones with the perforated flip out pieces - is there a reason for those beyond the obvious one of protection against flying glass? Are smaller glasses less safe?

That said, I do LOVE these...

judy
www.pbase.com/magpiejst

MikeAurelius
2005-07-21, 10:17am
If you use reasonable care to preheat your rods so they don't shatter upon immersion in the flame, there is very little "flying glass", except perhaps when you cut a rod with a pair of nippers.

This is one reason why we sell "street" wear frames - we got so many requests from folks that didn't want the "birth control" safety glasses...

Again, let me reiterate what I said above - I'm game to try to put lenses in these ...uh... "oddball" frames, BUT there absolutely HAS to be existing lenses in the frames that I can trace to match the shape. I cannot, repeat, CANNOT put a lens into one of these frames that does not already have a lens in it. I need to have something I can trace.

suzanne
2005-07-21, 12:20pm
Ohhh but the glasses I am sending you have lenses in them ( my guess is the ones you can just pop out:D)

MikeAurelius
2005-07-21, 12:31pm
Ok, you've convinced me.

I'll be contacting a couple of the "novelty" suppliers I know. I'll see what I can dig up.

suzanne
2005-07-21, 11:59pm
LOL, I can just see you working at the torch with the first glasses on:D

SELSEY
2005-07-22, 12:02am
I would definitely buy them if the were bright purple and sparkly.

suzanne
2005-07-22, 12:25am
:D doing the happy dance *I'm not crazy*:D

MikeAurelius
2005-08-05, 9:20am
I'm resurfacing this thread -- the frames came in, and I popped the lenses in yesterday afternoon. Took some doing - the lenses aren't quite the same right to left, but (sighs) oh well....

We took some pictures of the crew here, so you'll be able to put faces to names now. I'll have them up on the website (and here) probably on Monday next week.

Suzanne - they are shipping out today!!!!!

I love love love it

IF-Designs
2005-08-05, 9:28am
OMG the martini glasses! that is SOOO beadie people ;)

IF-Designs
2005-08-05, 9:33am
Im quite fond of these pink sparkly ones too lol hum now can we get theboro split lenses in these you think or would those lenses just be way to thick?

DreamMuse
2005-08-05, 9:34am
omg, I can't wait to see these!!!! LMAO! Please post the link when they're up!!!!

IF-Designs
2005-08-05, 9:37am
OMG Its tacky glasses central! Im in heaven!
http://www.shadesoffun.com/index2.html

Jude Rose
2005-08-05, 3:37pm
I suppose it's kind of late for me to post this, but just in case it can help anyone out, I bought myself the value-line small metal frame AUR 92. It's the first one on the page here:

http://www.auralens.net/e_gw_frame_value.cfm
They just looked the hippest at the time. Now I like the new biker wrap arounds!

And this is what I look like in them:

http://www.juderose.com/gallery1/images/bbgallery20.jpg

rosiescreations
2005-08-05, 4:08pm
Jude I have those to and really like them