Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : submitting your website, help

rverk47
2006-03-22, 1:27pm
hi i submitted my website to various search engines but i want to make some changes does anybody have an idea on how to change a submission record so i can perfect it..thx anybody have some criticism so i can improove my website..thx again
renee
www.simonsewsetc.com

sweetiedog
2006-03-22, 3:51pm
The search engines will scan your pages and update their indexes/listings automatically. You don't have to do anything except make the changes on your actual site. It can just take a really long time for them to register the changes depending on how much traffic your site gets. Title changes, for example, can take upwards of a month to get relisted, or they can change overnight.

fyrebeadz*
2006-03-22, 4:30pm
how does a person even approach a search engine (not sure if that is really the right word to use). Ok, how does a person list on a search engine???? Donna

sweetiedog
2006-03-22, 5:06pm
You don't need to approach a search engine. They will find you. It is actually a waste of money to pay someone to "submit" your web site to the search engines.

rverk47
2006-03-23, 6:22am
i went to the submission page..just search for google submission page and you'll find it..i want to change what i put in there..when you search for my site the main heading says HOMEPAGE i would rather it say lampwork beads etc..so i want to change what i submitted i don't want to change anything on my website, does anyone know how to do that????????thx a bunch
renee
www.simonsewsetc.com

Phoenix
2006-03-23, 7:29am
Renee- Google is gettign that from your website-
you need to change the following in your code-
<title>Home Page</title>
Make it the name you want and Google will pick up the change the next time it comes through

You can't give Google something that isn't on your page- the way search engines are built that's considered bad form :-)

Phoenix
2006-03-23, 7:31am
how does a person even approach a search engine (not sure if that is really the right word to use). Ok, how does a person list on a search engine???? Donna

As sweetiedog mentioned- you don't need to. The quickest way to get a search engine to find you is with a link on a site that is already listed.

Search directories do need to be submitted to- The Open Directory Project is an example of a free one. Yahoo Directory is an example of one you pay for.

Lenda
2006-03-23, 12:32pm
DMOZ.org or the Open Directory as some call it is the place to start to submit. It's all done by people, by hand and they pick and choose. It takes a while to get on there, but once you do, you'll be in every must be on search engine/directory there is. I submitted to them about 3 years ago, there's 745 search engines that have my site listed around the world now, just from DMOZ.

I read about it somewhere long ago that it was the best place and it is!

rverk47
2006-03-24, 5:28am
i still am not sure how to go to my website and change the words but i will contact the software people who helped me with it and see if i can figure it out..i also submitted to the dmoz.org and we'll see what happens..does anybody have any advice on how to tell whether or not the website is getting any traffic?? i have tried to put in a counter but don't know how to do it..thx again i really appreciate the feedback..renee www.simonsewsetc.com

Henrywashere
2006-03-26, 5:30am
Hi Simone,
I checked out your webpage and thought that maybe your photos on the top of your bracelet page are too dark - there is quite a noticeable difference between the ones at the top and the bottom. Also in your contact me if you had a link to your email that you could click people probably would be more likely to email you. Not that I am any sort of expert or even have a website of my own. But I thought you would like to know that someone was looking at your site.

rverk47
2006-03-26, 4:27pm
thx for the advice..i'm working on the pictures, it just seems the more i lighten them the more difficult it is to see the picture clearly..i am also trying to figure out how to do the email me thing..i have to call the tech line and ask how to do it..i also wish i knew how to put in a counter to see how much traffic i'm getting or not getting..thx again i appreciate the advice..renee
www.simonsewsetc.com

Phoenix
2006-03-27, 2:13pm
Does your hoist have a stats package? You don't usually need a counter on the page - just access to the stats. If you ask, they should be able to direct you

rverk47
2006-03-30, 4:13am
thx i'll have to ask..thx renee
www.simonsewsetc.com