Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Looking for Encased floral bead tutorial

tazzielou
2006-03-22, 7:11pm
I have been trying for about a month to make floral beads. I understand the concept of making dots of white then a color and that is the petal. Still am not very good at that at all. Well I now what to encase the flower and every time I put the clear on my flower is uglier than it was to start with because it smooches up and distorts. Please anyone point me in the right direction of a tutorial. Even a good tutorial on making pretty flowers would be helpful. Thanks

J. Savina
2006-03-22, 8:49pm
Hi Juli, In the tutorial index there is a link to Carol's encased floral by Angelheart, I think.

Recently I put a video of a bead tutorial on Google videos. Not a great video, a little boring actually, but I have some tips on encasing as I did a partial encasement of a bead. Here's the link the the little video. It's actually showing how to use one of the crunch tools as a forming tray. Maybe some of the tips I share will be helpful. Here's the link. CattWalk's Wide Crunch Bead Challenge (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1096811805510312836)
J.

Wonker
2006-03-23, 2:56am
Jeanette,

Thank you so for posting that link. I learned so much from that video. It wasn't boring at all. Make more!

Thanks

lbjvg
2006-03-23, 8:35am
:-\" Rollin rollin rollin...:-\" Great video. =D> I didn't even know those existed at Google. Looks like a lot to explore. - Jim

tazzielou
2006-03-23, 8:47am
Thank you so much! Off to order one now. Well download it now. THANK AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J. Savina
2006-03-24, 7:35am
Since I've had a few request about the rod holder I used in the video, I thought I'd post it here.
Go to heritageglass.com (http://www.heritageglass.com) It's around $30.00 dollars and to me, has been worth it's weight in gold.
Also, posting an image of the finished bead in the video. Thanks.
J.

cantstopbeading
2006-03-24, 3:15pm
Hi J,

Very nice. I was curious to see what the finished product looked like.

Thanks for sharing, looks great=D>

J. Savina
2006-03-24, 5:33pm
Hi J,

Very nice. I was curious to see what the finished product looked like.

Thanks for sharing, looks great=D>

Thank you Paula!!!
Hope an italian style rod holder finds it's way to you soon. Kudos!
J.

tazzielou
2006-03-24, 7:08pm
Jeanette your bead is very beautiful!!!!!!!!!! I love it - thank you so much for posting the picture!

cantstopbeading
2006-03-25, 8:50am
Thanks J. =D>

Pliers and I do not get along very well. LOL I have a big coffee can 3/4 of the way full with rod shorts that I just cannot hold any longer when they get that small with pliers. The pliers do not hold the glass tight enough to work with and the short rods fall out and roll onto me. I have burnt up alot of clothes because of it so when the rods get down to about 3 inches or less they just go in the coffee can. I waste alot of glass that way. :sad:

When I saw your video I thought those rod holders were so neat. ;-) Never seen those before. I also have a millie marver coming that attaches to my torch. I use my graphite marver with the handle over and over and over and have been wanting one that is more convenient and attaches to the torch.

It never ends huh? Seems like every single week I am buying a new tool or new thing to try with glass. I got bit by the glass bug close to a year ago and still going strong. LOL LOL LOL :lol:

Thanks so very much for sharing that video. The final bead is really nice. Glad you posted the picture of it. Also thanks for sharing the site above as to where you got some of your goodies. I had that site already saved in my favorites and looked at it when I first started lampworking and of course had a wish list of tons of things I wanted but couldn't get at the time and hadn't been back to it.

Now I hope to empty that coffee can of all the short rods soon. I bet I have enough in there to make about 15 sets of beads out of all of them. LOL

Thanks again and happy beading

J. Savina
2006-03-25, 2:36pm
Paula, your bead is soooo adorable. I love it. You did such a good job on it. You're going to love the tools when you get them.
J.

cantstopbeading
2006-03-26, 11:19am
Hi Jeanette,

:razz: Thank you. I have been working hard at it but my full time job interferes with my torch time. LOL LOL LOL Hate when that happens. :sad:

Just like tazzielou (Juli) up above, when I try to encase a floral they get all distorted. Now if I encase any other designs they are fine, go figure! LOL LOL #-o

After close to a year of lampworking I finally took the time to make something for myself. All of the beads on my pen are encased and had no problem with them however if I went with flowers, they would be a mess. LOL LOL

Just wanted to share the pic if it is not too big to post it. Ok just as I thought, pen picture was too big to post. So here are the beads which are on a copper metallic metal bead pen that I bought for myself. I love tigers so of course had to make tiger print for the pen. LOL LOL The pen itself is beautiful and really sparkles with a gold dust effect on it. I love it. I am always making stuff for family, friends, my website and Ebay as well as custom orders so for once I took the time to make something for myself.

I cannot wait to get my new tools. =D>

Thanks, Paula :rolleyes:

Lindyj
2006-03-27, 5:27am
Jeanette great video and beautiful bead=D>
I have a question. As a new lampworker I am having trouble reshaping my encased beads. I am using a hothead with LPG (I'm Aussie) /propane but I don't have much success reshaping so that my bead is round or bicone without pressing (lentil is all I have so far). What do you use apart from the CattWalk Wide Crunch shown in the video?
Lindy

J. Savina
2006-03-27, 6:26am
Simply, "gravity". Watch how your bead is melting and use gravity to move your glass while you're turning and tilting. It takes practice. My advice is to practice on beads that will only be used for practice. Once you get the hang of how to shape your bead using gravity, than it may become easier to shape the ones you're intending on selling or giving. For bi-cones, I simply use a marver. Happy Beading!!!

Lindyj
2006-03-27, 3:26pm
Thanks Jeanette I knew that it would be that practice ,practice practice thing again.
Lindy

cantstopbeading
2006-03-30, 7:53pm
Hey Jeanette,

Had company two nights in a row which took away from my beading but finally got to use my new toys. Awesome rod holder (thanks for sharing) and also my milie marver is the bomb too. Love them both. =D>

J. Savina
2006-03-31, 4:04am
Wow Paula, that is such a cute bead!!! I love it. I'm glad you're digging the new toys. It's fun treating yourself every once in a while, eh? We are worth it.
Happy Beading!!!
J.

cantstopbeading
2006-04-04, 5:56am
Hi J,

Thanks. That dog was made with all little scraps of rods I had that I originally was going to toss until I got my fantastic rod holder which lets me use those short guys now. Pliers never worked well for me. The glass always slipped out of the pliers. Well with this new rod holder, there is no slippage. Once the glass is in it, it stays put and I love it. Thanks again :o)

Happy Beading to you also!

CraftymissKim
2006-04-13, 9:29am
Great vid thank you do more more more......

J. Savina
2006-04-17, 4:18pm
In response to the floral question:

I don't have a video

Kimberly, I wish I could see a video by you. Especially doing one of those georgeous Sea Horses. I'd buy one!!!!

J.

swamper
2006-04-26, 9:08am
Here's a great encased floral link.

http://www.glassandsplinters.com.au/pages/lampworkbeadtutorial.html