Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Possible studio setup, need advice please

BeadAndFlame
2010-09-17, 9:16am
I am thinking of buying this shed to set up in my backyard to use as my studio.

http://www.lifetimeshed.com/Lifetime-8x10-Storage-Shed.php

My question to you all is do you think it is better to use this for a studio or move all my lawn type stuff out of the garage and set up there? My garage is not finished, so would also require some work to get a good place to torch.

All feedback appreciated!
-Alana

Dale M.
2010-09-19, 6:14pm
Though shed boasts double wall construction, it also must be considered "not finished".... Its not going to give you a lot of insulation from heat and cold.....

Dale

Seasoned Soul
2010-09-19, 6:52pm
Hi Alana,
I had a small crew build my shed, yes I had to finish the inside. Insulation, paneling, wiring etc etc but it was worth it in the end. I looked at several possibilities, including the one you linked to. Like Dale said, the temperature inside your Studio is important. If it's too uncomfortable ( extreme heat of cold), you may find that you just won't go out and melt glass. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Feel free to check out my Shedio:
http://seasonedsoulstudio.blogspot.com/

Good Luck!!!
;)

BeadAndFlame
2010-09-20, 8:25pm
Though shed boasts double wall construction, it also must be considered "not finished".... Its not going to give you a lot of insulation from heat and cold.....

Dale

Thanks Dale! I had thought maybe the double walls would help, but it is after all plastic, so you are likely correct. Also wondered if because I was going to have to have a window open for make up air if it mattered if the shed was insulated or not...

Hi Alana,
I had a small crew build my shed, yes I had to finish the inside. Insulation, paneling, wiring etc etc but it was worth it in the end. I looked at several possibilities, including the one you linked to. Like Dale said, the temperature inside your Studio is important. If it's too uncomfortable ( extreme heat of cold), you may find that you just won't go out and melt glass. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Feel free to check out my Shedio:
http://seasonedsoulstudio.blogspot.com/

Good Luck!!!
;)

Thanks for sharing that, what a great shedio (love that term!)
I guess I've been concentrating on getting something up quick, before it gets too cold to build something, rather than on getting something up that will be warm inside. I rent torch time right now, but the only places around me are 45+ min away, which I know I'm not going to drive when it starts to snow...which means I can't torch, which makes me sad :(

Dale M.
2010-09-21, 8:34am
Check around in phone book, we have palce out here called TUFF SHEDS, and they can put up a full building in about a day as its all prefab (built on jigs in factory) and pretty much like standard home construction...

You can do your own electrical and insulation and dry wall.... Or if you do not have construction skills it could be done by a handyman or carpenter looking for a couple of days of "cash" work....

Dale

Seasoned Soul
2010-09-27, 3:51am
It took the small crew of 3, 6-7 hours, to build my Shed starting from scratch. They pulled up with a load of lumber on a trailer and *poof voila*!!! Course it took me another 9 months to finish the inside. If I had hired it out it would have taken a week, maybe two, to finish it out. Looking back on it... I kind of wish I had hired it out..hahaha. The crew built a work bench inside. I could have started melting glass as soon as I got ventilation, tank, torch, oxycon hooked up but I was concerned I would never finish the inside if I started before. hahaha*

:-)

BeadAndFlame
2010-09-27, 9:14pm
I understand that Lynn, I think if I get my torch and supplies before I finish the shed, I may never finish the inside...I'm trying to force myself to finish it up first before getting the supplies to prevent that :)

I had a guy from Tuff shed come out today and quote me an 8x10 shed. I don't think the price is that bad considering they will install and paint it for me. As Dale suggested, I'm going to try to finish the inside myself as I do know how to do the insulation and dry wall, having renovated my own house a couple of years ago (but I have a back injury, so building a whole shed is beyond what I can do). Hopefully within a couple weeks I'll have a shed :) I'll post pictures when I get it :)

Jenfire
2010-09-27, 11:09pm
Fix up the garage. Put up firewall (fireboard) between it and the house. Warmer, cooler and closer to the bathroom.
Jen

bead crazy
2010-09-28, 12:37am
Alana if you put a vent into the table for your return air then you don't have to have a window open. Just vent the return air into the back of your table. Let me know if you need any more help compiling your info