Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Corded dremel question

amyhoust
2010-09-20, 12:17am
I want to get a corded dremel because my little cordless one just doesn't have enough power, or long battery life, for me. But I am concerned about being electrocuted since I clean my beads in water (as most of us do :). If I get the flexshaft attachment too, will that protect me?

WeeMary
2010-09-20, 1:11am
That's why I use the flexshaft. It has no electrical connection, it's purely mechanical. My dremel hangs on a hook well out of the way of the water. It's also a lot easier on the hands because it's a lot lighter to work with!

Jenn L'Rhe
2010-09-20, 4:20am
Second the flexshaft.

Carolyn M
2010-09-20, 4:59am
I have a cordless now, but i used a corded for 6 years without getting electrocuted. Probably not the wisest thing to do though

smkes
2010-09-20, 6:48am
I've used a corded one for the last 5 years and I've never had a problem. My bowl of water is pretty small and not very deep so although I've considered electrocution before, I don't think it's something that is going to happen.

That is just my set up, if your water is in a large bowl it might be worth the flexshaft.

theglassattic
2010-09-20, 7:03am
I use a corded dremel in water. My Hubby is a master electrician, and he says there is virtually no possibility of being zapped because you have very little chance of submerging the entire motor in your bowl. If you do, please use a smaller bowl, seriously!!!! At best, you may get the end wet and cause it to be hard to change out your tips, but you are not going to get electrocuted. The flex shaft is a nice alternative, but the principal is just that the actual motor is much farther from the bowl. Just keep the tip in the water with the bead, and no submerging the whole unit!!!

squid
2010-09-20, 9:35am
Have you tried this particular cordless? The Stylus?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=dremel+cordless&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8667492217685538218&ei=Eo2XTKrpA4a8lQfP3rzSBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CDwQ8gIwAQ#

I use this one and clean hundreds of beads at a time and it has never even come close to dying on me.

amyhoust
2010-09-20, 10:21am
I don't really want another cordless to be honest. Just would rather plug it in and not have to think about it running out at all :) I think I am going to go with the flexshaft and one of the smaller corded dremels.

Elizabeth Beads
2010-09-20, 10:25am
Gah! Something else to worry about. My bowl is doubtlessly too deep for my corded dremel. Guess I will find a smaller bowl and something to set it on to raise it up to cleaning level.

ben david
2010-09-21, 3:09am
Some points:

1) Nobody INTENDS to drop their motor into water. Safety means anticipating and preventing accidents. It is certainly possible to drop a Dremel into a large plastic tub full of soaking madrels.

2) It is not clear that the flexshaft is truly insulating. the internal mechanism is usually a (metal) wire or woven chain. I have seen versions with a plastic "drill bit" (part you stick into the Dremel) and some with metal, which would conduct electricity.

3) Additional protection: purchase a Dremel (or similar tool) with a 3-prong, grounded wire.

4) This is one reason that professional equipment uses a fixed drill/wheel and the operator moves the piece of work freely. Once you get used to this, it can actually go more quickly than using a hand-held - especially for repetitive work like bead reaming. The drill bit is always where you expect it, and it's easy to rig up a slow drip of water on the drill that cools and cleans the area being worked. A pan or bucket underneath catches runoff.

Try putting your cutting bit in a regular hand-held drill or Dremel, and clamping it to a bench.

Lisi
2010-09-21, 7:34am
I want to get a corded dremel because my little cordless one just doesn't have enough power, or long battery life, for me. But I am concerned about being electrocuted since I clean my beads in water (as most of us do :). If I get the flexshaft attachment too, will that protect me?

My advice: "Don't use corded tools with water, period" I don't care what anyone else says.

I have a cordless Dremel MiniMite and it has more than enough power to clean beads. In fact, I have had mine since 2006 and the rechargable battery is still going as strong as ever. I can clean beads for 10-15 minutes straight 3-4 times before I need to recharge my battery again. So, it cleans hundreds of beads on a charge.

I got mine at Amazon.com, free shipping, and the best $30 investment I've made in anything that is rechargeable. I'm amazed at how long this tool has lasted me.

Dale M.
2010-09-21, 8:51am
Get a Ground Fault Interrupt" outlet and have it installed on bench where you will be cleaning beads this should protect you and your corded "power tool" .... These are same units as required in newer homes (kitchens/bathrooms) for receptacles that are within 6 ft of a sink or tub or faucet.... My home even has one on whirlpool tub in bathroom...

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/gfci

They look like this....

http://www.geeks.com/techtips/2005/Images/GFCI_Receptacle.gif

Or find a "portable" adapter you can plug into any outlet and use power tool through "adapter"...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWHsKK7OhukRuwcdk5z1ONQbuAzxoI0 in2La3M65-uFyyf-vI&t=1&usg=__UYB4_VZngWSlx83c3nwX4THjww8=

If you are going to use portable GFI unit, it is good idea to test receptacle for proper wiring with one of these so GFI unit functions as intended....

http://www.geeks.com/techtips/2005/Images/Circuit%20Tester.jpg

Black pushbutton on top of tester is for testing GFI breakers (in breaker panel) serving a standard receptacle or testing a GFI receptacle...

Picture below is GFI breaker installed in breaker panel (fuse panel) for whole circuit protection ...

http://www.checkthishouse.com/wp-content/uploads/gfci-breaker.jpg

Dale

rosemarie23
2010-09-21, 9:36am
It never occurred to me that the flexshaft would not be safe.

amyhoust
2010-09-21, 10:14am
I have the minimite - and I am not happy with it. Well, it is OK, but the battery does run out if I have a lot of beads to clean. Plus it just has zero power for using the dremel for other jobs - like if I wanted to use it for sanding etc? No way.

I did buy the flexshaft and the dremel 4000... loads of power! Now I am a bit paranoid though. I use a tiny bowl though that is too small to be physically possible for the whole thing to fall in (even the flexshaft attachment part is too big to fall into this bowl). I am hoping that if I am careful, I will be safe enough...

Dale M.
2010-09-21, 12:00pm
I have the minimite - and I am not happy with it. Well, it is OK, but the battery does run out if I have a lot of beads to clean. Plus it just has zero power for using the dremel for other jobs - like if I wanted to use it for sanding etc? No way.

I did buy the flexshaft and the dremel 4000... loads of power! Now I am a bit paranoid though. I use a tiny bowl though that is too small to be physically possible for the whole thing to fall in (even the flexshaft attachment part is too big to fall into this bowl). I am hoping that if I am careful, I will be safe enough...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWHsKK7OhukRuwcdk5z1ONQbuAzxoI0 in2La3M65-uFyyf-vI&t=1&usg=__UYB4_VZngWSlx83c3nwX4THjww8=

$20-30 at local hardware emporium... Cheap insurance and reduces fear factor....

Dale

amyhoust
2010-09-21, 12:24pm

$20-30 at local hardware emporium... Cheap insurance and reduces fear factor....

Dale

What exactly does this do?

Art of Hand
2010-09-21, 12:53pm
Amy, if your really want to get a good tool, that you could also use for more than just cleaning beads, get a propper jewellery grade flex shaft tool. Mine's got a foot pedal, which allows me to control the speed at which I drill, cut, what ever. )Think swewing machine) So no need to pull away when you want to switch off, what ever. both your hands can focus on the work.

Beadanna
2010-09-21, 1:05pm
That's why I use the flexshaft. It has no electrical connection, it's purely mechanical. My dremel hangs on a hook well out of the way of the water.

This works for me.

Kalera
2010-09-21, 1:20pm
The flexshaft is a safe tool to use with water if you hang the Dremel on a hook above the water level. Water would have to actually run into the motor itself for there to be a problem. The question is not whether the flex shaft "can conduct electricity" (theoretically, it could if the Dremel shorted out, sure) but whether it is electrified. It is not; it is driven mechanically by an electric motor. Think of an electric car; can you get the motor wet? No. But it's OK to get the axles wet, because they are being driven mechanically by a separate electrical motor.

If you have an electrical outlet near a sink it should be a GFCI outlet; if it's not, it costs all of about $10 to buy one and they're a piece of cake to install. http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_index.asp?page_id=35720244

squid
2010-09-21, 1:25pm

It shuts off the current if it detects a grounding situation, which is what dropping your motor in water would be. It's called GFCI or ground fault circuit interrupter.

Beadanna
2010-09-21, 2:07pm
The flexshaft is a safe tool to use with water if you hang the Dremel on a hook above the water level. Water would have to actually run into the motor itself for there to be a problem. The question is not whether the flex shaft "can conduct electricity" (theoretically, it could if the Dremel shorted out, sure) but whether it is electrified. It is not; it is driven mechanically by an electric motor. Think of an electric car; can you get the motor wet? No. But it's OK to get the axles wet, because they are being driven mechanically by a separate electrical motor.

This is what I think too.

Dale M.
2010-09-21, 5:03pm

The moment it (GFI device) sees (electrically) a dangerous condition like electrical short through any device (Dremel tool in water) or through human body it shuts off the flow of electricity in micro seconds...

Protects you from electrocution....

There is a LINK in my first post about how GFI devices work.... Guess you missed it.....

Dale

amyhoust
2010-09-21, 5:15pm
The moment it (GFI device) sees (electrically) a dangerous condition like electrical short through any device (Dremel tool in water) or through human body it shuts off the flow of electricity in micro seconds...

Protects you from electrocution....

There is a LINK in my first post about how GFI devices work.... Guess you missed it.....

Dale

Sorry Dale, I am blind :) Thanks for sharing the link again.

J&M
2010-09-21, 8:25pm
This is all you need. See Squids post #7. It stays powered for a LONG time. Works like a charm!

Jack

selma_belma
2010-09-21, 8:58pm
We use the GFI outlet. I make sure to only use that outlet when I'm using my corded Dremel. Dh is a carpenter/electrician and knows it is safe.