Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Companion kit to my Jellyfish Tutorial.

Moth
2010-09-28, 10:13am
Want to make jellyfish beads from my tutorial but don't want to make the canes? I can help you!

Sometimes we don't like to make the canes, don't have time to make the canes or just simply need to see finished samples of what the canes should look/feel like.

I listed a kit in which you get the tricky canes listed in my Jellyfish Tutorial premade!

They are in my etsy shop.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/59511305/jellyfish-lampwork-beadmaking-canes-kit
(http://www.etsy.com/listing/59511305/jellyfish-lampwork-beadmaking-canes-kit)
There are 5 left!

Thanks for looking!
~~Mary
http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_570xN.185125517.jpg
marylockwood.com (http://www.marylockwood.com/index)

skippystretch
2010-09-28, 11:02am
Who, hoooooo, thanks Mary

Gotta love this

Val

Sweetsoap
2010-09-28, 11:17am
Hi Mary.
I would love to give this a try! Seeing as I have never done anything like this before I am concerned about whether I would be able to make anything recognizeable#-o
So I am wondering if you can give me an idea of the skill level required!
Again, I really want to give this a shot especially because of your wonderful offer!:-)
Thanks so much.
Karen

Silver Moon Lampwork
2010-09-28, 11:38am
Brilliant idea Mary!

Moth
2010-09-28, 11:39am
Karen, if you visit my website and go to the tutorials page you can see sample pages of the tutorial to help you determine if you think you can do it or not.

I would consider this an intermediate tutorial, however, I wrote the instructions at a beginner level. aka- I didn't leave anything out at all. It's surprising I don't remind you to blink. LOL

Beginners might think it is pretty challenging, but even if all you can do is learn to make the canes it is a good building block and will teach you quite a bit about heat control.

Honestly..at this price you can't go wrong. This is more than $10 worth of supplies and the first ten sold get a tutorial to boot. I'm really hoping these are popular so I wanted to kick them off big.

Thanks so much for asking and for everyone who has purchased one (or several) already.

Have fun.
~~Mary

granny
2010-09-28, 12:04pm
Mary,
I just want to say that you are a real jewel!!
So giving and caring!!
I wish I had the skills to take advantage of this, but I know it would be wasted, but I wanted you to know how great I think you are!!!!

granny

Sweetsoap
2010-09-28, 12:54pm
Thanks Mary.
I'm going to give it a try.
Can't wait!
Karen

squid
2010-09-28, 1:04pm
Dang, they appear to be sold out.

Bluejeangirlnc
2010-09-28, 2:45pm
Well, I got mine squid. Neener neener! LOL! Hey, I'll let you come look at it when it comes, k? :)

(I hope you know I'm teasing.... but I did get one.)

squid
2010-09-28, 7:01pm
Ha - what a meanie!! :lol:

Deb Hopeful Journeys
2010-09-28, 8:00pm
bummer, they are gone~

Firebug
2010-09-28, 8:37pm
Darn it, always late on these great deals!

Cheers
Kathy

alb6094
2010-09-28, 9:04pm
Rats, me too. :(

Bluejeangirlnc
2010-09-29, 5:26am
Ha - what a meanie!! :lol:

Oh yeah.. that's so me! :)

I'm hoping that buying the kit will push me to try the bead since I've read the tutorial at least a dozen times and never tried it.

Moth
2010-09-29, 9:50am
Yeppers, sorry that these are all gone for now guys. I've just never sold or shipped anything just like this before and I want to get these ten delivered and find out they all made it safe and sound before I list a bunch of them.

I've done my best packing them safely, and Lord knows they are going all over the place so this is a good test run. Canada, California, North Carolina, Arizona, etc. We should get a pretty good idea of how well these delicate canes travel.

I don't mean to concern anyone who ordered one of these. LOL Just wanted to explain why I don't have 20 more listed yet. ;-)

Well...that and because I don't have any more ivory or transparent blue glass to put in the packages. LOL

Each set of canes is carefully bundled together, wrapped first in tissue, then in a texture rubberized sheet, then in bubble wrap. The silver leaf is folded in a sheet of paper and taped to the inside of an index card. The pixie dust is in a tiny zip bag taped to the outside of that same index card. The murrini are in a tiny zip bag and taped to the other side of that index card.

All of it is bundled up together in more bubble wrap, the invoice and the 'getting the most from your kit' sheet is wrapped around it. It is put into a priority mail shoe box sized box and padded up.

If every single one of these don't make it in perfect shape I'll be devastated, but I can't move forward until I know for sure.

Hugs.
~~Mary

gallerygal
2010-09-29, 9:25pm
LOL! After reading all the kit contents I'm even more envious that I missed out :cry:

Crossing my fingers for better luck next time around!

Marianne.

alb6094
2010-09-29, 9:44pm
....and I shall be stalking this thread. Hurry up packages, get there already. :wink:

Do you see me stalking? Like a wolf. A glass wolf. Stalk stalk stalk.

OK, I seriously need to go to bed, LOL.

Seasoned Soul
2010-09-30, 2:48am
darn doodly dooo!!! how did i miss this? grrrr*

okay, stalking with other stalkers

*to all beginners out there leery of purchasing due to skill level. I'm a beginner too but I bought the jellyfish tut awhile back. I would go ahead and purchase the "kit" even as a beginner. Once my skill level progresses I'll have everything I need to make beautiful jellyfish beads.
\\:D/

***JMO (just my opinion)

Moth
2010-09-30, 10:48am
I made beads from one of the kits I put together just as testers and wanted to show them!

This green one contains the ribbon twisty, the kelp cane, the urchin murrini and the tentacle cane from the kit:

This blue one only has the tentacle cane but you can see it better on the plain background in the image.

~~Mary

LAJ
2010-09-30, 12:29pm
Those beads are amazing Mary! Stalking this thread too! ;-)

PennyLane
2010-09-30, 1:35pm
I bow to you Mary, simply amazing! I three am stalking.

Rose Leslie
2010-09-30, 2:59pm
Yes I missed it also. Darn.

Firebug
2010-09-30, 9:04pm
Those beads are awesome Mary! Count me in as Stalker #4!

Cheers
Kathy

carolinesbeads
2010-10-01, 12:44am
I am a stalker too!

Mitosis Glass
2010-10-01, 6:25am
You should take names for a waiting list Mary! What a fantastic idea.

If a person only has money for one glass tutorial, your jellyfish tut is the one they should buy. This could be a book unto itself and is chock full of useful info.

friskebaer
2010-10-01, 6:42am
Wow - I'm sorry I missed out too! I would happily pre-pay for a kit if you would ever consider doing that...
Thanks for all you share with this community Mary!
Jenny

pittypat
2010-10-01, 7:46am
Prepay...yes, Jenny...great idea....don't you think this is a great idea, Mary??????????
Ready to tackle the bead with a kit,
Pat

Sweetsoap
2010-10-01, 8:34am
Hi Mary,
I wanted to let u know that I received my package today and all is well. That was quite the packaging job! =D>. I can't see how anything could have broken even if it wanted to! Thanks so much. :smile:
Now I just need the tut. If u would PM me please.

Thanks again,
Karen

Bluejeangirlnc
2010-10-01, 8:55am
Mary, I'm sending you a PM as well but the kit got here today and everything is in absolutely pristine condition. My daughter is home on a teacher workday and her and her friend have ooohed and ahhhed over all the pieces completely amazed. Thanks so much for offering this!

Moth
2010-10-01, 11:22am
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/adresaklumea/funny-cats/cat-dance-picture.gif

Sweetsoap
2010-10-01, 12:29pm
That's so funny. I was watching Ellen and the kitty was dancing to the music!

PennyLane
2010-10-01, 1:14pm
That is so funny!

asimeral
2010-10-11, 9:34pm
So, are there going to be more kits? Would LOVE to have one...

dragonlite
2010-10-11, 9:59pm
I would love a kit as well. Only been torching a few weeks now and want to push my limits! More than happy to pre-pay too! Please add me to the list if ya got one! :)

Pia Kaven
2010-10-11, 11:47pm
Yeah, waiting for a new bunch of goodies!

Moth
2010-10-12, 6:39am
Hi guys!

Yes, there will be more kits! I'm waiting on a glass shipment full of clear to make more canes.

I don't want to presell kits because I know myself. I freak out if I think someone is upset with me. If 50 of you guys prepay for kits and I don't have them done super fast it will feel like a bunch of little hammers pounding my brain. LOL

I'd be much more comfortable selling them as I have them available. Then nobody can be mad at me. LOL Just so there is no misunderstanding though- only the first ten kits were this price.

I don't want to list the kits at the realistic price and surprise people. $10 was an introductory price to get the ball rolling and see how they were received.

I'll post again as soon as I have more kits- I promise! They will be in my etsy shop when they are ready and I'll post right here in this thread.

Hugs.
~~Mary

carolinesbeads
2010-10-12, 10:09pm
How much are the rest of the kits going to be?

Caroline

chrissij
2010-10-13, 1:00pm
If you pull any of those canes "too small"...

~ blink blink ~ :flirt: ~ blink blink ~

squid
2010-10-13, 6:24pm
:lol:

Chris.

skippystretch
2010-10-18, 12:53pm
Hi mary, just received mine today, everything is in perfect condition, made it all the way to Canada without a crack.

Wonderful Kit, can't wait for the weekend to try it out.

What a wonderful idea you came up with, such a great addition to the tutorial.

Val

Moth
2010-10-20, 11:47am
OK guys, here's the deal.

I have spent all morning making enough of every cane in the tutorial to put together 17 kits and I'm still in full production being as efficient as I can while maintaining first quality.

Based on some unsolicited input I've gotten from several different sources, I've made some small modifications to the kit to help keep the final price down.

It's been brought to my attention that most people already have the silver leaf/foil and ivory glass to make their silvered ivory stringer. Since I'm not supplying the finished sis cane--might as well not include that in the kit. Same thing on the half rod of transparent blue. This is a staple for most people and is redundant to include it in the kit--doesn't really serve a specific purpose or save anyone any work/time.

The official price of the kit will be $16. No presales. If I don't have them ready to ship at a moment's notice they won't be listed...this keeps you guys from having to wait a long time for your order. They will ship via priority mail within 24 hours.

Included in the kit:
8" tentacle cane

8" dichroic stringer

8" kelp cane

8" seaweed cane

8" intense color frit stringer

10 assorted sea urchin murrini

1/2 tsp pixie dust

Wanted to give you a heads-up here before I list them on etsy so the people who missed out the first time have a chance to find them.

I intend to have them entirely listed and ready for sale at 4:30 pm EST.

Thanks guys!
~~Mary

friskebaer
2010-10-20, 11:56am
Wow - that is excellent Mary! I hope I am fast enough when you list them...
Thanks for doing this!
Jenny

Pia Kaven
2010-10-20, 1:44pm
Where is it at??? Cant see it yet! :lol: Im trying to be patient! :lol:

pittypat
2010-10-20, 2:36pm
Me too, Pia.....refreshing every three seconds!! I am falling in love with the green tree frog...might have to buy that instead!!
Pat

Pia Kaven
2010-10-20, 2:55pm
I know... Ive been staring at them too, and thinking I wish she had tutorial for those! :lol:

Moth
2010-10-20, 3:12pm
Pia...I do have a tutorial for the frogs--it is on my website. Oh wait...do you mean that funky one with the coral toes? I'm not even sure I could make that one again far less do a tutorial for it. Was kinda dumb luck.

Anyway...I'm really really sorry for being late. I couldn't help it, but the kits are in my etsy shop now.

If you miss out on this batch I'll be refilling tomorrow. I'm going as fast as I can. Those tentacles take a while. LOL

~~Mary

Mitosis Glass
2010-10-20, 3:18pm
Bahahahahahaaaaaaa! LOOK who was in the right place at the right time, for a change!! Woo hoooo!!!

I've been wanting to try this tut but have been lacking the motivation to do all the prep work. Maybe once I see how well I do with the applications then I will be more motivated to do my own canes and stuff. Thanks for making these, Mary!

Firebug
2010-10-20, 3:36pm
YEA! Got my kit - thanks so much Mary!! :love:

Cheers
Kathy

dragonlite
2010-10-20, 3:41pm
If I did the etsy thing right (first time purchase so I had to register) I think I got one too!! ...lol But I do not know for sure????

Firebug
2010-10-20, 3:51pm
If I did the etsy thing right (first time purchase so I had to register) I think I got one too!! ...lol But I do not know for sure????

Steven,

You should get an email receipt from PayPal that shows your purchase. :grin:

Cheers
Kathy

dragonlite
2010-10-20, 4:01pm
Steven,

You should get an email receipt from PayPal that shows your purchase. :grin:

Cheers
Kathy

YAYYYYYY!!!! I DID get 1!...lol sorry simple things amaze simple minds...lol

Firebug
2010-10-20, 4:55pm
LOL! Sometimes the simplest things bring the most joy! :happy:

Cheers
Kathy

alb6094
2010-10-20, 5:35pm
yessssssssssssssss - color me happy. :D

Moth
2010-10-20, 6:55pm
I'm wondering how many miles of tentacle cane I've pulled over the last 3 years. LOL

Pat
2010-10-20, 7:47pm
YIKES!!!

dragonlite
2010-10-20, 8:24pm
I'm wondering how many miles of tentacle cane I've pulled over the last 3 years. LOL

WOW!!! I can only imagine..... Your underwater scenes and jelly fish are amazing! I cant wait to try this!

pittypat
2010-10-20, 10:31pm
Well, I TOLD you I had to have that frog!! I looked at it for too long and it had to be mine...your fault, Mary, and I thank you!! Pat

Moth
2010-10-21, 6:12pm
LOL! I'm glad for it to go to such a good home! He is cuter in person I'm tickled that you like him. All the domestic kits shipped priority this afternoon! International ones have to go out in the morning..the clerk at the post office shut the window right in my face! I can't believe I waited in line all that time and she shut down right in front of me. I thought we were friendly!!! I give her Christmas gifts and everything. She hurt my feelings. pout

I did a little funny figuring. Just for this batch of kits I pulled 12 feet of tentacle cane...it was more like 15 or 16 feet, but not all the pulls left me with full 8" cuts in an even number so I have plenty of 6" canes for myself. If I pull that much tentacle cane, once per month, for 3 years that is 540 feet of tentacle cane.

Huh??? I would have bet it was MUCH higher. LOL

Then again, it only takes about a half inch of tentacle cane to make one jellyfish so that is about 1080 jellyfish I've made and that actually sounds right. 2 jellyfish per bead times 540 beads....yep that sounds about right.

~~Mary

Mitosis Glass
2010-10-21, 6:33pm
Mary, I'm exhausted after reading your post! I don't think I've even made that many beads, never mind specific types of beads.

Moth
2010-10-21, 7:12pm
LOL, Between my computers and disks I have over 8000 bead photos. I average 3 photos per bead so if I wanted a rougho estimate of how many beads I've made that were worthy of taking a picture it's about 2, 667 beads. Give or take a hundred or so for sets of multiples and gifts that didn't get pictures. That's over a 7 year period, mind.

That's 380 beads a year. Sounds right to me when you average together my time off periods and my manic times. LOL

~~Mary