Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : upstairs setup safe?

Beads-on-Toast
2006-03-26, 12:35pm
Is it safe to have a setup on a higher level?
i have bought all the kit for a minor torch setup and i am thinking of moving from the dining room to the upstairs spare bedroom.
any thoughts?

thanks

Dale M.
2006-03-26, 1:06pm
Several issues.... How will you move tanks upstairs, big OXY tanks will be a real pain, but a oxygen concentrator removes that as a issue. OR you can leave oxy tank on ground with fuel tank and just use "a long oxygen hose". I hope fuel (propane?) tank will remain outside on ground as it should be. Propane can only be brought in from outside to second floor (any floor for that matter) in metal piping. You can NOT just put hole in wall and put hose through it. That would probably violate you home owners insurance and NFPA fire codes. Propane and fire codes mentioned here refer to USA only, in UK your rules are differeent. What about ventilation? Do you have hood/fan setup to vent fumes out window or hole throug wall or roof?. If so where will you get makeup air for ventilations? Does upstairs room have two windows?

IF you are willing to work through some of these issues, yes you can have a fine studio on second floor of house. It will involve some research and some expense.

Dale M.

GinnyHampton
2006-03-27, 8:54am
I've worked in a 2nd floor spare bedroom for several years now, and really you need to follow the safety precautions that you would anywhere else.
I have a minor and use an oxy concentrator and natural gas so tanks are never an issue for me . . . therefore can't really give you advice on a tanked setup.
You'll probably need to consider protecting the flooring. My torch is set up in a carpeted room so I have a HUGE chairmat underneath my table. It makes cleaning up my area alot easier and safer since hot glass can melt/stick to carpet leaving sharp pieces behind that you have to cut out of the carpet.
Consider ventilation just like I'm sure you did before. If the room has no windows, that probably wouldn't be good.

Good luck with your new setup :)