Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : What have you been making for BOC?

Diane Woodall
2011-01-19, 1:27pm
Last month I decided to make some "food" beads for BOC. I had more fun making these and can't wait to make more. :love:

Let's see what you've been making.

BellaBean
2011-01-19, 1:32pm
My goodness! They are so cute!!! I love the sundae beads! Very nice.

RSimmons
2011-01-19, 4:37pm
Those look great! The kids really love this kind of bead.

Robert

Truewealth
2011-01-19, 4:42pm
Diane..those are adorable!!

I just sent my second package to BOC and didn't think to photo them. The two packages I've sent in were alot of really sparkly clear encased dichroic beads. Lots of them were of a larger size and had bright colors inside.

My intention is to send off a package every 6 weeks..with at least 10 beads in each package.

I'll bet your above beads will be a big hit...they are just wonderful!!

artsyuno
2011-01-19, 7:04pm
Those are adorable. I made animals - monkeys, sheep, birds, penguins, horses, a pig...

LuckyBunny
2011-01-19, 7:22pm
Those are awesome! I'm working on a custom order with lots of frit beads so every night that I work on them I make a couple for ThatFritGirl's frit challenge. Haven't had a chance to take pics yet, but hopefully will this weekend. :)

ekkc
2011-01-19, 8:37pm
Love them! The pumpkin pie is too cute! :-)

artwhim
2011-01-20, 12:30am
Diane, your food beads are great! I love making pie slices too.

First I was hooked on making fish beads from your great tutorial. Sorry I haven't taken a photo yet. Now I've moved on to making Easter egg beads. They've become very addictive, so I will have a lot for the kids. I've also made a few cats, but keep going back to the eggs.

kissmyglassjackie
2011-01-20, 12:43am
Diane your foodie beads are truly adorable. The kids will LOVE them. We will have are BOC event on the thirtieth, will have to make some of those, well try some of those I should say. i have been making hearts lately, tis the season. What is the ice cream cone color?

Diane Woodall
2011-01-20, 1:47pm
Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. I love the food beads because they are simple shapes and are durable enough for kids.

Jackie, the glass I used for the ice cream cones was Bullseye Caramel Swirl, which unfortunately was a limited run. I bought some in the garage sale a few years ago to make seashells, but now I'm hoarding my last few rods for BOC. I wish they'd consider remaking it.

Here is a photo of some recent beads I made using stained glass strips. I get stained glass from the hobby store, and it's Spectrum 96COE. Although it isn't System 96, I called Spectrum and talked to them about it back when I started using it for seashells, and they told me that their stained glass is made as 96COE even though it may not be part of their fusible line. This means that lampworkers can use it for beads. As long as you know the COE of the stained glass you are using, it's a great way to increase your color palette.

Many stained glass colors work well for beads, especially Spectrum opaque white, which is an awesome white. I used some different tan wispy glass for the cupcakes and ice cream cones and mixed in some other 96COE glass. Since getting the color for the cones is tough I wanted an alternative to Caramel Swirl and the stained glass works well.

Sorry for the quality of the photo. :)

LoriGreenberg
2011-01-21, 2:24pm
LOVE the ice cream cones!

Thanks to all who are torching for BOC regularly. We really need you as we grow, grow grow.

We are now in 89 hospitals around the world and more being added every week!

Jenne
2011-01-22, 7:42am
I have a bunch of "orphans" and test beads that are just lovely but I can't do anything with because there are only 1 of them. I want to send them to BoC, but they were made on 1/16th mandrel and I saw that they prefer larger holes. Think they'll be ok? There are some very pretty beads that I think the kids will love.
I keep trying to make a heart each time I torch for BoC, but they come out so ugly I don't know if I should send or toss them.

Oh and I made a few butterflies and wasn't sure if I need to wire wrap them since the hole is vertical?

Diane Woodall
2011-01-22, 8:08am
Hi Jenne, I'm sure your orphans are beautiful, and the kids will love them. Although they prefer the larger holes, the stringing material they use will fit easily thorough the hole make by a 1/16" mandrel, so send 'em on in. :)

Definitely wire the butterflies into a pendant. Here is a photo of some my sister, Becky Mason, made a few years ago.

If you'd like to see a tutorial on making hearts, I have one on my website at To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Also, there is a tutorial there on making butterflies and fish for BOC.

chrisdd
2011-01-22, 2:50pm
Diane, I used your tutorial to make my first fishes. Your great instructions and photos made it so easy! I'll post some pix before sending them to BOC.

Elizabeth Beads
2011-01-24, 7:56pm
I made some :love:s - some for the :love: exchange, some for BOC!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. .jpg

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. .jpg

I'm on a roll now, watch for more :love:s for BOC! :)

Diane Woodall
2011-01-24, 11:32pm
Liz, I love 'em! The kids are going to go wild for the goldstone stringer and silver mesh.

wadiefong
2011-01-24, 11:42pm
Those ice cream cones are the bee's knees! Wonderful!

Elizabeth Beads
2011-01-25, 7:24am
Liz, I love 'em! The kids are going to go wild for the goldstone stringer and silver mesh.

Thanks. I am going to make some purple and red hearts with John Rizzi's little heart murini on them, hopefully tonight!

After I posted, I started to wonder if BOC kids can have beads with silver mesh. I know exposed silver glass is not advised.

Lori, Robert - do you know?

Thanks,

Liz

LoriGreenberg
2011-01-28, 11:04am
Silver mesh is ok as long as it is encased.

:love:

Your hearts look great!

Elizabeth Beads
2011-01-28, 12:32pm
Thanks, these were not encased but I will make some encased ones over the weekend. :)

SunDoorBeads
2011-01-28, 3:45pm
How gorgeous are those food beads!!! I love each and every one of them. I have been into hearts but my little guy said that he would like me to make some tennis, basket, and baseballs for the boys or maybe some peace signs.

Diane Woodall
2011-01-28, 4:55pm
Thanks Michelle. I think the sports themed beads are always popular with the boys. Footballs look like they'd be fun to make too.

Elizabeth Beads
2011-01-28, 5:39pm
Round two - with John's murini hearts. :love:

Linda
2011-02-03, 9:29am
I am working on bugs and critters. This is my first post in ages so I hope I do this right!

Diane Woodall
2011-02-03, 9:46am
Great hearts Liz. I love the little murrinis.

Diane Woodall
2011-02-03, 3:41pm
Here are some of my latest hearts for the Beads of Courage Artists store. I'd love to see what everyone else is making.