Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Stainless Steel in the Kiln

wd2crv
2011-01-20, 12:13pm
What would happen if I took a stainless steel utensil from the dollar store and made a bead on it and put it in the kiln?

Would the spoon lose it's shine? Or worse, would it melt?

I thought it might be a good idea to ask before I just went ahead and did this :wink:

Thanks for reading and thanks for answering!!

RSimmons
2011-01-20, 12:30pm
It won't melt if it's stainless steel, probably will have no effect at all.

Robert

squid
2011-01-20, 12:36pm
I have heard that 18/0 stainless spalls some in a kiln at temps used in potmeltls, but for annealing you are probably fine.

Laura B
2011-01-20, 12:51pm
I use stainless steel things from the dollar store all the time in my kiln.

PerfectDeb
2011-01-20, 1:24pm
when you heat the metal to put the glass onto it you'll discolour it - but it wont melt in the kiln, mandrels are stainless steel

Elizabeth Beads
2011-01-20, 3:16pm
It will lose its shine and may get a patina that is almost oil slick iridescent.

I use a stainless steel coffee measure for my activated charcoal and I have also used a small stainless steel dish to heat rod and aventurine chunks that I want to quench to make frit and chips.

;)

jaci
2011-01-20, 4:34pm
It should just polish right up. Maybe a bit of Tarnix would even work to off the patina. It will polish up though! If it doesn't send it over, and I will have Jay polish it. He can polish ANYTHING! Promise i'll send it back! Even polishes things I dont think will ever be shiny (and I have the shiniest presses eveaa! LOL)

wd2crv
2011-01-20, 10:03pm
LOL thanks Jaci but I don't think I'll take you up on that offer - would like to know his secret though!

Thanks everyone for your responses - I guess I feel safe enough to just go ahead and try it then. I'll try to work cooler than normal for me and hope it can be polished up again!

jaci
2011-01-21, 6:37am
I dont even know his secret!!! LOL

He used to do a lot of car detailing, and his favorite thing in the entire world id chrome... so I think its in his DNA.