Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Fibre Blanket

Toozygoot
2005-07-18, 12:41pm
Is there a difference in fibre blankets that would affect the surface of my beads? I batch anneal using fibre blankets to initially cool my beads. I ordered some new fibre blanket that is much heftier and stiffer than what I have been using the last couple years. Now, whenever I retrieve my beads, they are seemingly scarred by the blanket. It is so darn frustrating. I bought a huge amount of this blanket and I'm thinking I need to order some of the old stuff. FWIW, this seller also sells firebrick so maybe this blanket was never intended for this kind of use.

Thanks for any help!

pat

MikeAurelius
2005-07-18, 1:08pm
Yeah - there are different types of blanket, depending on which manufacturer makes it. I've had several different textures in the material come through, but mostly the stuff we've got now is a very fine texture and very soft to the touch.

Toozygoot
2005-07-18, 2:38pm
Thanks Mike! If my friend doesn't have any to sell me, I'll be contacting you.

pat

Sherry
2005-07-18, 6:29pm
But keep the stiff stuff Pat, and use it on the outside as an extra layer. When I used to batch anneal my "blanket" was about 8 inches thick, with 3 central layers for beads.

Now say "stiff stuff" 6 times real fast!!

Toozygoot
2005-07-18, 8:11pm
Sherry - doesn't that get a bit heavy and squash your beads? But I see what you mean about having layers for more beads. Great idea! Today I was wishing I had gotten a kiln with a bead door. I think I will call them and see if they make a bead door for this model.

pat

BillBrach
2005-07-19, 4:44am
A much better material for cooling beads is vermiculite. It excludes more of the air around the bead, and lets it cool more slowly. Cheaper too !!