Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : kilns and walls

lunesse
2005-07-18, 12:56pm
I don't want folks to get yelled at for answering "wrong," but I really want to know....

How many of you actually have 1 foot between the kiln and wall on all sides? In a lot of pics in studio threads it seems like less, but it might be the angle.....

Thanks!

MikeAurelius
2005-07-18, 1:09pm
Actually, 6" is usually considered sufficent, but the best way to tell is the touch test. After the kiln has been running for several hours, put your bare hand on the wall. If the wall is too hot to touch, the kiln is too close. If you can keep your hand on the wall - warm, but not hot, it is just fine.

Three Muses Glass
2005-07-18, 1:16pm
Depends on the kiln I guess. I have a big one that the manufacturer recommended 18" from the wall, a medium one that recommended safe distance is 12" and the small ones seem OK at 6"-8". At that close of a distance though I put some hardiboard or concrete board stuff behind it just to be safe.

lunesse
2005-07-18, 1:57pm
thanks guys! I have hardibacker board on all sides, but it will be a tight squeeze, so knowing that I might have a little leniency, with the wall test of course, is good. =)