Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Constellation beads

glasser
2006-04-06, 11:22am
I looked in the tut archive and don't see any information about these beautiful beads. I would love to see how they are made and try my hand.

Is this where I beg? [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

DreamMuse
2006-04-07, 6:20am
Do you have a picture? I'm not sure what beads you mean....

Carolyn M
2006-04-07, 6:26am
This is probably not what you are looking for, but I'll give you the info because they are super easy to make.
Start with a base of cobalt and roll in silver foil. Add small amounts of Val's Silver Lake reactive frit and melt in. Press (or not if you want a round bead) then wave in the top of the flame to accentuate the silver outlines.
Done

Curly Irish Girl
2006-04-07, 7:47am
It sounds like you do not burn off the silver foil....but how are you picking up frit after you marver the foil...mine wouldn't be hot enough?????

This is probably not what you are looking for, but I'll give you the info because they are super easy to make.
Start with a base of cobalt and roll in silver foil. Add small amounts of Val's Silver Lake reactive frit and melt in. Press (or not if you want a round bead) then wave in the top of the flame to accentuate the silver outlines.
Done

glasser
2006-04-07, 9:08am
That is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing that technique. Not exactly what I am thinking of, the bead I saw was more like looking at the night sky, one I saw gave the illusion of a milky way and stars. Seems like it was on a cobalt base. Thanks Pam

Carolyn M
2006-04-07, 9:58am
Sorry, yes you burn the silver in before adding the frit

Toni L.
2006-04-07, 10:13am
Something like this??

hummingbird3172
2006-04-07, 10:14am
That is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing that technique. Not exactly what I am thinking of, the bead I saw was more like looking at the night sky, one I saw gave the illusion of a milky way and stars. Seems like it was on a cobalt base. Thanks Pam

Hi Pam!

Here is my galaxy bead:

This was made with a cobalt base also, but with dots of rubino added before I wrapped it in foil...the rubino and the silver create the greenish gold "galaxies"..then I use stringers to twist different areas. Also there is some silvered ivory in here. This one is encased.

Try making a cobalt bead..wrapping it in silver and just melting the silver away...you have instant stars...then if you slightly reduce it...you can get "silvery milky areas"....this looks beautiful too!

Toni and Carolyn, those are beautiful!

Toni L.
2006-04-07, 10:17am
Thanks Anna!
Gorgeous focal!!!!! Mine are done with the same steps...I love these and make tons of them!
8)

lainee733
2006-04-07, 11:52am
cool, thanks for the tips, i think i've been trying too hard

hummingbird3172
2006-04-07, 12:23pm
Thanks Anna!
Gorgeous focal!!!!! Mine are done with the same steps...I love these and make tons of them!
8)

Thanks Toni! It is funny, we were posting the same idea at the same time (Twilight Zone music)! I think you got much prettier colors though!!! Mine was the only one like that I have made! LOL

Glasser, you can also make a constellation effect with fine silver wire...very pretty! :)

Kikki
2006-04-12, 3:08am
A tip for making this kind of bead is to encase in Efftre or Vetrofond rather than Lauscha.
I've found (and was told by Corina) that the Lauscha clear reacts with the silver in a ugly way that Efftre/Vetrofond doesn't.

Venessa
2006-04-12, 8:20am
Is that why my silver turned kinda goldish???

A tip for making this kind of bead is to encase in Efftre or Vetrofond rather than Lauscha.
I've found (and was told by Corina) that the Lauscha clear reacts with the silver in a ugly way that Efftre/Vetrofond doesn't.

DreamMuse
2006-04-12, 8:42am
Silver turning goldish is usually from Effetre clear rods. Silver should stay silver if you encase with Vetrofond clear. However, if you use a very pale effetre color (like that super pale blue) then it will usually stay silver and still appear to be encased clear.

Kraaloog
2006-04-12, 9:56am
Done

Hi Carolyn,

I'm a relative newbie in beadmaking and some of the 'stuff' you mention is unknown to me. Please explain what Val's Silver Lake reactive frit is and where to get it. Also, is the silver foil you mention actual silver leaf, or something else.

Thanks for your reply.

:kiss:

Laurie L
2006-04-13, 10:44pm
Hi Carolyn,

I'm a relative newbie in beadmaking and some of the 'stuff' you mention is unknown to me. Please explain what Val's Silver Lake reactive frit is and where to get it. Also, is the silver foil you mention actual silver leaf, or something else.

Thanks for your reply.

Valcox.com

glasser
2006-04-14, 5:30am
Toni and Anna, Yes! those are what I was thinking of! Thank you. Now I need to go shopping as I have none of the stuff needed to make them! Thanks again, Pam

Kraaloog
2006-04-15, 5:43am
Valcox.com

Thanks!:)

Laurie L
2006-04-15, 8:49pm
Hey your very welcome !!!

Toni L.
2006-04-15, 11:19pm
Certainly! Don't forget to show us when you make them!
8)
toni

amberbryant1
2006-04-17, 6:32am
I can't wait to show mine off, I made a bracelet before I even took pictures of them. WOW I am so happy with these! Thanks for sharing how to make them.

Palestrina
2006-04-19, 8:38pm
Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Kraalog:
Reduction frit (not reactive, although it does react) is frit that you can get to reduce to a silver or metallic finish in a reduction (propane-rich) flame. Silver foil is the same as silver leaf, only it's thicker & much more manageable. Leaf is very difficult to work with sometimes, even hard to pick up. Foil is also a bit more pricey due to the thickness.
Hope this helps!

Venessa
2006-04-20, 8:20pm
Silver turning goldish is usually from Effetre clear rods. Silver should stay silver if you encase with Vetrofond clear. However, if you use a very pale effetre color (like that super pale blue) then it will usually stay silver and still appear to be encased clear.

I use Lauscha clear-Moretti gets too scummy for me! I have worked Lauscha for over an hour on a HH, and not burnt/scummed it yet.
But my silver usually gets a slightly yellow tint to it

Kraaloog
2006-04-21, 1:59pm
Kimberly,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am still at the early stages of bead making and I must say that the beads you guys make are overwhelming. I don't think I'll ever be able to make those, but even slow progress is progress, right?

Some day...............................:-k

Venessa
2006-04-23, 7:45pm
I made some this weekend!! So cool! I had wondered how to do this style, and at one point had heard, but I never got around to it. Who woulda thought that using cobalt and rubino and silve leaf would make green? I may have a new favorite bead style!