Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Web Hosts?

eklecticmoose
2006-04-09, 5:25am
We've been thinking of getting a website for some time know and have pretty much decided how we want things to look and feel. Now to find a web hosting service. For those out there with websites could you recommend any? Could you give an idea of how much space, service conditions (trouble with accessing, outages, customer service, etc.) and monthly costs?

Thank you!

~ Tru

Just Nancy
2006-04-09, 7:26am
The thing I've seen mentioned is checking to be sure your host allows business sites and not just personal ones. I'll be watching for your results as mine is about to renew.

eklecticmoose
2006-04-09, 10:00am
Good point...didn't even think of that.

mikefras
2006-04-09, 12:45pm
There are quite a few out there that are geared towards small buisness, I used Yahoo Webhosting for their rep and deals. search webhosting for small buisness and compare prices and plans. Good luck

Mike

Solana
2006-04-09, 3:04pm
I really like www.webhost4life.com. They have hosting packages starting at $5/month, which contains more than more people need when developing a website.

Every website I create is through them since they hardly have any down time. :)

Cosmo
2006-04-10, 11:34am
www.1and1.com

I have been using them for quite a while, and have never had a problem.

Frostfire
2006-04-10, 4:19pm
I use http://livehost.net and have been very pleased with their price, features, and service. They have a variety of pricing plans, make it easy to upgrade as your needs grow, and plenty of support. They also have their own domain name service with very reasonable domain pricing.

Just a satisfied customer,

Karen Hamilton
2006-04-10, 5:58pm
I use www.web.com and and am happy with them and their help line!!! ( For me in computer land it should be life line) Ha HA!!!!

bolimasa
2006-04-26, 10:29am
I have some questions about hosting. I looked at a bunch of these sites and realized there's a bunch of stuff I don't know.

One site uses Linux web hosting, another uses microsoft web hosting, a third uses linux shared hosting. Is one of these a better or worse choice? Or does it not matter (except that you need to pay attention ro case sensitivity with linuxs)

I don't know anything about server side issues and programs. If you ever wan a shopping cart or something interactive are their certain features that are a must?

Cosmo
2006-04-26, 11:06am
I have used both Linux and Microsoft hosting pretty extensively, and I can't tell enough difference to recommend one over the other.

brimmy
2006-04-26, 10:34pm
I just started with http://www.ixwebhosting.com

So far I am happy with them. They are prompt and have all sorts of extra goodies to play with. Their template program is really easy to use too (and more flexible than I expected). I pay $3.95 per month for two domains, 20 subs and more email accounts than I can possibly use. I can also make multiple FTP accounts. Don't know how their bandwidth will hold up, but the next price bracet up is only $6.95 (which includes an Ecommerce program)... The account I have doesn't have Ecommerce, but it does have a catalog system in the templates that will allow you to link to an eBay or other sales page.

http://thefuzzylizard.com

Not much there yet, but I'm working on it. I hope to have something decent up by the end of the weekend.

jaychantell
2006-04-26, 11:42pm
You might consider giving PappaShop a try. :)

FerroGlassDesign
2006-05-05, 7:25am
I use 1&1 web hosting services. I got the 4.99 package. That gave me two free doamins, 1000 pop email accounts, 2 photo albums, 500mb monthly transfer 50 MB space. They also have free web builder ect in the package but I like to use good ole' fashion HTML for my web. You can also get the starter pakcage for 2.99 a month

And if you didnt already know your ISP (internet service provider) usually gives you a small personal spot on their server to build a website, they just dont offer up that information. I use road runner and asked them about web space, turns out I got a free .stny.rr.com subdoamin with 5 mb to build on. I used that web space for two years while I developed and updated my website. Once I got it to a more professional level I wanted my own .com doamin so I purchased a 1&1 plan

Julz
2006-05-14, 8:40pm
Check out Bravenet (http://www.bravenet.com) too. Great packages, great support, and I've never known it to go down.

Blix Designs
2006-05-15, 7:52am
I would recommend looking at pappashop also. The software they use is incredibly user friendly. They specialize in working with jewelry designers and glass artists-and I am certain you have heard this all before.

No matter what hosting company you choose to work with, there will come a time when you will find yourself in a bind and will need assistance in correcting something pertaining to your site-it could be an urgent matter or not so urgent. It's great to know you can contact Pappashop and they will immediately help you will your issue-depending on urgency..Every time I have contacted them, the matter was cleared up the same day.

For me, customer service is the priority in choosing a hosting company or with any other business I choose to work with. The company has to be top notch, though they also have to be there for me when I need them:)

Best of luck.

IF-Designs
2006-05-15, 8:18am
I really like yahoo because i can access it ANyWHERE! and their service has been really great and ive had (knock on wood) no down time. I also have another site on 1and1 and havnt done anything with it yet I need to get around and get on the ball and get something up there....

jaychantell
2006-05-16, 9:46am
You can access your site with PappaShop from anywhere as well since all editing is done online. You just log in from any computer and work on your pages.