Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Frontpage?

Kris
2006-04-09, 4:28pm
I was recently told that in order to work on my website I would need Frontpage and ipswich. Is that whats easiest I mean best 8-[ Any suggestions are welcome. I could use a little help here in computer land as I am still learning as I go. Oh and I am on dial up... Ready to take some kind of plunge.
Thanks,
Kris

Chelle's art glass
2006-04-09, 7:57pm
Hi Chris
It can be sooooooo confusing can't it!!!
(Microsoft) Frontpage is really just a tool to design your website and I'm assuming that Ipswich is your hosting company?

Really, being on dial up or broadband or whatever, has nothing to do with your site. This will be the method (or speed) at which you upload your "Frontpage" website up to your hosting company. It's called FTP (File Transfer Protocol) but don't think about that too much at this stage.

If you haven't taken the plunge yet (ie. signed up to Ipswich) then why don't you do a search on the net for WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get)website design & hosting.
This is by far the easiest method to get yourself online.
These type of company's have a monthly charge to host your website and they are the easiest one's to understand if you're not too website savvy.

Good luck

mikefras
2006-04-09, 8:17pm
Hi Kris, I tried Frontpage.......pretty basic. Tried Dreamweaver....not too bad. Subscribed to Yahoo webhosting and they give you their sitebuilding tools and I was off to the races. With alot of valuable feeback and advice from so many kind and honest critiques here on LE. I am finally getting my site to look like it should....almost.

Oh Ya....Hi Michelle...I like your site

Mike

Heidi von Frozenfyre
2006-04-09, 9:38pm
THe only reason why your webhost wants you to use Frontpage is because it will save your pages in the .asp format.

You have to remember tho - Frontpage is meant to be used and viewed (browser-wise) in MSIE... So people who use other browsers (Netscape, Firefox to name a few) will have errors all over the place.

I prefer Dreamweaver.

If you have a different HTML Editor - ask the host to turn off the .asp

Just my 2 cents worth.

Samyel
2006-04-10, 1:19am
Ew. I hate Frontpage. I run a website, and the only aid I use (besides tangling my brain around manual HTML) is Dreamweaver. It's a much more flexible and intuitive program.

alex@pappashop.com
2006-04-10, 11:19am
IPSWICH is a FTP program and you are not required to use .asp or any other programing language with Frontpage it is just a WYSIWYG html editor. I think they were giving you examples of what you may need, use what is affordable and easiest for yourself.

Kris
2006-04-10, 12:31pm
Thanks guys! some of you are using words and abbreviations I don't understand :) I may need more help (may? Who am I kidding?) I may need to just hire someone. I hate it when I can't figure things out on my own.
Alex you are on my short list~

alex@pappashop.com
2006-04-10, 12:43pm
Thanks guys! some of you are using words and abbreviations I don't understand :) I may need more help (may? Who am I kidding?) I may need to just hire someone. I hate it when I can't figure things out on my own.
Alex you are on my short list~

I hope that's the good list.

Just Nancy
2006-04-10, 1:27pm
Kris,
I use Front Page for now because my kids had an educational version. If I was paying retail I would have looked for an editor that wasn't going to cause errors for others.

Speaking of paying retail for an editor, if I had to do that, I would go to my short list of designers as well. I'm betting it would be a wash and when you factor in the headaches the designer would probably be money well spent. I'm still getting along with front page to do what I want (no actual business) so the only money I spend is for hosting.

Good luck.

Frostfire
2006-04-10, 4:25pm
As a computer science professor, webwitch, and all-around techno-geek, I detest Frontpage as well as many of the other web page generation tools for one major reason: the web pages they create are full of unnecessary, redundant, and badly-structured code behind the scenes. Even with so many people on high-speed Internet connections, a bloated web page file is going to take longer to transmit from the server to the viewer's computer, is going to take longer for your browser to process and display, and is less likely to display consistently in different browsers.

If you really don't want to learn enough HTML to do your own and don't want to pay someone to do it, think about seeing if your web hosting service provides access to WordPress blogging software (or some other content management software). With not much technical knowledge, you could actually use WordPress and one of its alternate themes to create a very nice-looking website.

Karen Hamilton
2006-04-10, 5:54pm
From someone who uses Frontpage...it sucks!!! I wanted complete control over my website but in the long run it probably would have been easier to build it with the templates from your web host. My website is ok but the program was over $120 a few years ago, 2 books another $80 and a $225 consulting fee to some A** HOLE who was a Frontpage expert. Damn, I knew more than he did from reading my two books. He owed me because I taught him few things about Frontpage.

Just my 2 cents. I use web.com for my hosting and now they have templates to build your own website; which they didn't have a couple years ago. I am thinking about starting over and doing it that way.

There was someone in the Family room a few weeks ago who was real happy with their site and recommended someone who does a great job. I clicked on the link and she did great work with fun colors. It sounded like she would show you how to change pictures and edit it too. Also, something to think about.

Just my thoughts!! Let us know what you end up doing!!

Kris
2006-05-01, 1:02pm
nothing... yet.

collectiblesbyrose
2006-05-03, 3:25pm
I use FrontPage only because it is easy. I've not tried Dreamweaver but that is what I'll buy next time.

FerroGlassDesign
2006-05-05, 7:06am
I used Front Page to build my website. I wrote alot of the HTML code myself, but I like to use FP to insert my photos and structure tables because it's quicker than inserting all the ing codes. But it is a royal PITA. It is constantly manipulating the codes, adding and removing or changing them. My website is a constant work on progress, so FP makes it easy for me to update but does cause problems.