Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Paragon Kiln Front Load W?O Bead Door

Toozygoot
2005-07-19, 8:51am
I have a Paragon front loading kiln with the swing out door. Two of them actually. I have been batch annealing but now think I want to load the kiln as I work. Paragon doesn't make a replacement bead door for this model. So here are my questions and forgive any stupidity that creeps in please.

I assume I use one of those triange tool holders to prop up my rods. Correct?
I am going to have to worry about touching the elements. Correct?
I don't need fingerless gloves to protect my hands from the heat. COrrect?
I can't jerryrig some sort of flap for the opening without losing a lot of heat. Correct?

Why oh why did I get these in the first place?!?!!! Oh yeah! Fusing!

pat

Rachel_D
2005-07-23, 6:16am
Hi Pat

What model is your kiln - I have the Paragon SC2 which is a front loader with a swing out door. I've recently started to anneal as I go and I must admit I was a bit concerned about whether this kiln would be suitable.

I have my mandrels cut down to 7 1/2 inches so that they fit nicely inside. I don't wear any gloves, just open the door and quickly pop the bead in. I haven't even been using a bead rack. You might have to be a bit careful with frit beads as they can be a little sticky until they've cooled a bit. You can move over the beads that have been a while as they shouldn't stick. I usually use my long nose pliers to do this, but be careful not to have the door open too long.

My kiln only loses a little heat each time I open the door but it soon recovers.

The elements in my kiln are all covered in so I don't have to worry about that.

Hope this helps
Rachel

Toozygoot
2005-07-23, 7:56pm
HI Rachel and thanks for your reply! Mine is an S0693 that apparently isn't being made anymore. It has an interior that is about 8 inches by 12 inches deep so it will take 9 inch mandrels easily. And I suppose I could just cut down my 12 inch ones just a bit and those will fit too. Your post was very reassuring and as soon as I get to have more productive sessions, I'll start annealing this way.

pat